Random Thoughts

AnAngryAmerican

On 4/16/2019 at 3:19 AM, lomaxgrUK said:

To you baseball fans - I am thinking of getting a Rockies jersey, and just need some advice on who's name to get on the back. MLB Europe gives me the choice of;

- Arenado
- Story
- Gonzalez
- Blackmon
- (Blank)

Any thoughts? I know Arenado just signed a new deal, but that means nothing in Baseball ...

To be honest, there aren't many baseball fans in the UK anyway so even if the player leaves, it won't require me to burn the jersey or anything.

Arenado or Story. Both are elite players who figure to be with the team long-term. I love me some Chuck Nasty (Blackmon) but I think his best years are behind him.

Edited by AnAngryAmerican
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

I just read it's a done deal.

22 minutes ago, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

Per Rappaport the chiefs are looking to trade their 1st rd pick and the 2nd they got for Dee Ford for Frank Clark.... O.o

They’ve gotta win now while Mahomes is cheap

20 minutes ago, broncofan48 said:

They’ve gotta win now while Mahomes is cheap

Yeah that’s the thinking.   There’s little doubt Clark is an elite 4-3 DE.   Ford was great last year but isn’t nearly as good vs. the run.  And his total #’s were helped by playing ahead.  IIRC Clark played 100 fewer snaps than Ford.    Plus Clark is 3 years younger than Ford. 

It’s just that they paid 20M more guaranteed $ and a 1st for Clark.   That’s a steep price for any type of upgrade.   They will need to extend Chris Jones next year and then Mahomes.   Tyreek Hill in theory needs an extension but obv the DV case is going to affect that in a huge way.   

The iffier optics are Clark having a DV history.  It’s far enough in the past that on other teams you can say it’s in the past and they did their research.   KC obv doesn’t get that PR benefit.  To trade a 1st and make him the 3rd highest paid D player in the game, along with Hill / K-Hunt (and their tragic past with LB Belcher), man it’s a tough sell optics wise.   And I’m saying that as one who leans toward giving the benefit of the doubt until there’s more info.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Broncofan said:

Yeah that’s the thinking.   There’s little doubt Clark is an elite 4-3 DE.   Ford was great last year but isn’t nearly as good vs. the run.  And his total #’s were helped by playing ahead.  IIRC Clark played 100 fewer snaps than Ford.    Plus Clark is 3 years younger than Ford. 

It’s just that they paid 20M more guaranteed $ and a 1st for Clark.   That’s a steep price for any type of upgrade.   They will need to extend Chris Jones next year and then Mahomes.   Tyreek Hill in theory needs an extension but obv the DV case is going to affect that in a huge way.   

The iffier optics are Clark having a DV history.  It’s far enough in the past that on other teams you can say it’s in the past and they did their research.   KC obv doesn’t get that PR benefit.  To trade a 1st and make him the 3rd highest paid D player in the game, along with Hill / K-Hunt (and their tragic past with LB Belcher), man it’s a tough sell optics wise.   And I’m saying that as one who leans toward giving the benefit of the doubt until there’s more info.  

This is an excellent summary.

I think Clark affects the game much, much more than Ford. Granted, Ford sure did wreck games against us but on the whole, he's not anywhere near the complete player Clark is.

That said, the Chiefs are quickly becoming known around the league for giving players with DV history a chance that perhaps (note, perhaps) they don't deserve. That's going to turn a lot of people off of them.

With Jones and Hill due elite level extensions, Mahomes, Schwartz and Kelce due significant pay bumps, things are going to get really interesting in KC very soon.

The price of being good, chaps.

• Like 1

Tonight is about as close to a Manchester United fan's worst nightmare as you can possibly imagine.

So, tonight Man United play Man City with the former needing to win for a chance at a top 4 league position (qualification for the Champions League), and the latter needing to win to leave winning the league in their own hands with just 3 more matches to go.

However, if United win then this puts the league title in the hands of Liverpool - without doubt our biggest rival. United have won 20 league titles, Liverpool have won 18 but haven't won one for 29 years.

It's basically like deciding who you wan to sleep with your Mrs out of your two least favourite people :(

20 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

Tonight is about as close to a Manchester United fan's worst nightmare as you can possibly imagine.

So, tonight Man United play Man City with the former needing to win for a chance at a top 4 league position (qualification for the Champions League), and the latter needing to win to leave winning the league in their own hands with just 3 more matches to go.

However, if United win then this puts the league title in the hands of Liverpool - without doubt our biggest rival. United have won 20 league titles, Liverpool have won 18 but haven't won one for 29 years.

It's basically like deciding who you wan to sleep with your Mrs out of your two least favourite people :(

United lost 2-0, thus City will win the league if they win their remaining 3 games.

Anyone but Liverpool I guess ...

3 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

United lost 2-0, thus City will win the league if they win their remaining 3 games.

Anyone but Liverpool I guess ...

Given Liverpool hasn’t won a title in 19 years likely now it’s probably a better position to be a Man U fan lol.  

Realistically if you can’t crack top 4 it seems the Champions league title is a pipe dream, no?   In that case.....