Random Thoughts

AnAngryAmerican

1 hour ago, Broncofan said:

I thought nothing could top the anticipation for team drama than 2018 Hard Knocks & Hue Jackson’s CLE preseason.   

I was wrong.   The AB story is just nuts.  Well worth reading all 20 Tweets.  Wow. 

Sent from my iPhone

What a great bit of comic relief on a gorgeous Friday in Alaska!

I'll be chucklin' about this all afternoon.

I said this in the Raiders forum, but Michael Silver isn't even what I would call a pot-stirrer, he's an instigator who tries to create drama, conflict, etc.. That being said, AB is total whack job and, when the Raiders signed him they had to expect a circus and that's exactly what they're getting. I just figured it wouldn't come until mid-season when Oakland is sitting at like 2-6 or something. Some of us at my bar were talking in the spring and taking friendly wagers, no money just for kicks kind of wagers, about who would go off the rails first, OBJ or AB. Suffice to say I was wrong when I went with OBJ. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

I said this in the Raiders forum, but Michael Silver isn't even what I would call a pot-stirrer, he's an instigator who tries to create drama, conflict, etc.. That being said, AB is total whack job and, when the Raiders signed him they had to expect a circus and that's exactly what they're getting. I just figured it wouldn't come until mid-season when Oakland is sitting at like 2-6 or something. Some of us at my bar were talking in the spring and taking friendly wagers, no money just for kicks kind of wagers, about who would go off the rails first, OBJ or AB. Suffice to say I was wrong when I went with OBJ. 

I remember listening to the Spotrac podcast and the salary cap expert (Mike Ginetti, owner of Spotrac) was just in utter disbelief when the Steelers traded AB. Not because of talent as such, but more the dead cap hit the Steelers took to trade him. They took a $21 million dead cap hit to get rid of him.

When a team trades arguably the top positional talent in the league for only a 3rd rounder AND takes a $21 million hit to do it, alarm bells have to go off about the extent of what you're dealing with and Ginetti touched on that within the podcast.

I was the exact same as you, Dan - I thought AB's meltdown would happen when a) he doesn't get the ball and/or b) they are losing. I was particular looking forward to the scenario of the Raiders losing AND AB not getting the ball. Hopefully that will still happen.

Edited by lomaxgrUK
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

I remember listening to the Spotrac podcast and the salary cap expert (Mike Ginetti, owner of Spotrac) was just in utter disbelief when the Steelers traded AB. Not because of talent as such, but more the dead cap hit the Steelers took to trade him. They took a $21 million dead cap hit to get rid of him.

When a team trades arguably the top positional talent in the league for only a 3rd rounder AND takes a $21 million hit to do it, alarm bells have to go off about the extent of what you're dealing with and Ginetti touched on that within the podcast.

I was the exact same as you, Dan - I thought AB's meltdown would happen when a) he doesn't get the ball and/or b) they are losing. I was particular looking forward to the scenario of the Raiders losing AND AB not getting the ball. Hopefully that will still happen.

We all knew the second the RAIDERS traded for AB and gave him a massive deal it just wasn't going to work out.

And after trading Mack? Man, those poor fans deserve fan amnesty 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, champ11 said:

We all knew the second the RAIDERS traded for AB and gave him a massive deal it just wasn't going to work out.

And after trading Mack? Man, those poor fans deserve fan amnesty 

The crazy part is that the Raiders got CHI’s 2019 & 2020 1st & 3rd (plus a throwaway 2019 6th) but gave CHI their 2020 2nd back.   That 1st/2nd 2020 swap could easily be less than 10 spots.   Man. 

Edited by Broncofan

48 minutes ago, germ-x said:

My god, the Vikings offense with Kubiak in town is as predictable as it was in Denver. Just no imagination or creativity.  He leads the same offense he did from the mid 90s-early 00s.

To be fair to Kubiak, it *could* be a case where they are playing their vanilla base O with no giveaway on what they intend to in the regular season.   Kingsbury in ARI keeps saying the preseason will be vanilla O and he's saving his real scheme for reg. season.

Of course..I'm being REALLY kind to Kubiak, given his past history, just saying it's tough to know if this is the O scheme the Vikes are actually going to use on Gameday come September.  If so, then man...ugly.  My enthusiasm on Dalvin Cook in fantasy goes down about 10x lol.

Side note - Mike McCoy literally ran the ball up the gut over 60 percent of the time in the first 6 weeks of last year....and got fired for that lack of creativity.  The complaint that the NFL recycles old OC/DC/HC's is a legit one as long as a guy like McCoy keeps finding work.  Having said that, at some point the retreads do stop getting key positional hires.  That could very well be the case with Kubiak, as  I do think this is his last big chance at an OC type role (yeah Stefanski is technically the OC but we all know it's Kubiak's scheme they are using), if he doesn't show he can adapt to today's NFL.   This isn't the 2000's anymore.

Edited by Broncofan

On 30/04/2019 at 3:47 PM, lomaxgrUK said:

I know it's an unpopular opinion, but I seem to be the only one not panning the Giants for the Daniel Jones pick. I have no clue how good of a player he is, so I guess that's an issue.

However, too many people keep saying, "you could've moved down a few spots and then taken him, or taken him at #17". If you're sold on a QB at #17, why are you not sold on him at #6? If you know in your head that this is your QBOTF, why risk someone else pinching him by getting greedy for extra picks?

I've no problem with people moaning that he isn't any good because I can't dispute that with any credence; I just think the, "YOU COULD'VE GOT HIM AT #17 INSTEAD" argument is a tad silly when it comes to the QB position.

On 03/05/2019 at 9:12 AM, lomaxgrUK said:

The fact is, you or nobody else knows whether the Giants got value. That's you (and everyone else) basing the value off your evaluation of Jones as a player. Gettleman thinks he's a franchise QB - if he's right, do you think anyone will ever talk about value regarding this pick ever again? The narrative would then change to, "why did the Raiders and Buccs pass on him?"

Well, well, well ...

I know it's early, but Daniel Jones looks GOOD. Hard not to be excited if you're a Giants fan.

If he does pan out, hopefully this will serve as a reminder to people to not go nuts and pan players just because Mel Kiper doesn't like them.

Edited by lomaxgrUK
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

Well, well, well ...

I know it's early, but Daniel Jones looks GOOD. Hard not to be excited if you're a Giants fan.

If he does pan out, hopefully this will serve as a reminder to people to not go nuts and pan players just because Mel Kiper doesn't like them.

Right, wrong or indifferent the careers of Sam Darnold and Daniel Jones will be compared until one of them is an after thought of an organization. 

I never hated the Jones pick for the Giants value is irrelevant as you are correct on. I also think he fits very well with a Saquan Barkley being the Alpha of an offense.

My gut tells me I was very wrong on Sam Darnold though. I didn't buy the hype when he came out thought he was immature. Baker was my number 1 qb in 2018. I know Baker has the stats and the hype right now. Darnold I just love the way he's handled this offseason from the film study to the not wishing Brady a happy birthday because he wants to beat him and dethrone him.

Thoughts on Andrew Luck retiring?

Is it Irsay? The training staff? Grigson?

I know Andrew is classy as can be and you'll never hear the truth. @Broncofan was right about his long term Viability as were many others. I don't fault Luck for retiring. Colts fans have a priviledge to boo him but that doesn't make it right to do so. I think if Luck collected a paycheck that would of been worse than this decision.  And knowing that owner he could have.

Andrew's body is beat up beyond belief and he probably doesn't want to be hooked on opioids in order to feel like a normal person. I thought the whole bit about needing to just get out of the cycle was so poignant. 

Luck was such a fun player, unfortunate but unsurprising that his reckless style did him in. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BroncoBruin said:

Andrew's body is beat up beyond belief and he probably doesn't want to be hooked on opioids in order to feel like a normal person. I thought the whole bit about needing to just get out of the cycle was so poignant. 

Luck was such a fun player, unfortunate but unsurprising that his reckless style did him in. 

I don’t disagree, but injuries are completely unpredictable.  Luck took a beating, but so have many many others who’ve played QB in the NFL (and especially other positions for that matter) and were able to last a decade+ in the NFL.  Unfortunately for Luck many of his were severe and not just bumps and bruises.  Broken ribs, torn labrum, torn abdominal, lacerated kidney, now the stuff with his ankle/calf.  Most of these are just handle the pain type injuries that there aren’t quick fixes for.  After 4 years of that I can understand his perspective. 

23 hours ago, thebestever6 said:

Thoughts on Andrew Luck retiring?

Is it Irsay? The training staff? Grigson?

I know Andrew is classy as can be and you'll never hear the truth. @Broncofan was right about his long term Viability as were many others. I don't fault Luck for retiring. Colts fans have a priviledge to boo him but that doesn't make it right to do so. I think if Luck collected a paycheck that would of been worse than this decision.  And knowing that owner he could have.

3 hours ago, BroncoBruin said:

1 hour ago, germ-x said:

I don’t disagree, but injuries are completely unpredictable.  Luck took a beating, but so have many many others who’ve played QB in the NFL (and especially other positions for that matter) and were able to last a decade+ in the NFL.  Unfortunately for Luck many of his were severe and not just bumps and bruises.  Broken ribs, torn labrum, torn abdominal, lacerated kidney, now the stuff with his ankle/calf.  Most of these are just handle the pain type injuries that there aren’t quick fixes for.  After 4 years of that I can understand his perspective. 

The sad part was that it was entirely preventable.   Ryan Grigson has to go down as one of the all-time worst GM's in the league.   Instead of protecting the goose that lays the golden egg he left Luck with the worst OL play around......EVER.  Not just that year, ever.

To be fair, Mewhort was a decent pick, he got hurt and never was the same after a couple of injuries.  But to let Luck suffer that much abuse and only draft 3 guys, and only Mewhort was a big investment.  SMH.  

The Colts fanbase should have been booing Grigson and Jim Irsay, not Luck. SMH.

Edited by Broncofan