Random Thoughts

AnAngryAmerican

Just now, Broncofan said:

5th year options only apply to 1st rounders.  

I’d actually say the case with Mariota & Winston show both sides of the coin.  It sure looks like TEN will avoid commiting long term dollars to Mariota but TAM looks pretty locked into Winston.   The only reason they aren’t 3-1 with Winston playing great is the HC tried to kill clock for the entire 2H vs. NYG, played prevent D and then played for the FG with 18 secs left and 1 TO at the 8 yard line (and intentionallly took a 5 yard delay of game penalty thinking it was too close for the K - who had already missed 2 XP that game). 

I just feel like in general year 3 by the end of it 95% of the time you're extending of they're not the guy.

I know the 5th year is just fot first rounders. I also understand all of your points and Winston has looked very good this year Arians has saved his career. That's a given he also saved Palmers career.

Winston is such an extremely rare case not just because of Arians, but his off the field (Uber) incident. Makes you wonder how Big Ben would of faired in todays rookie cba.

21 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

I just feel like in general year 3 by the end of it 95% of the time you're extending of they're not the guy.

I know the 5th year is just fot first rounders. I also understand all of your points and Winston has looked very good this year Arians has saved his career. That's a given he also saved Palmers career.

Winston is such an extremely rare case not just because of Arians, but his off the field (Uber) incident. Makes you wonder how Big Ben would of faired in todays rookie cba.

Well then don’t use Wilson & Dak as examples.  Both weren’t first rounders.  Apples to oranges.  

You cited 3 first rounders where it was a slam dunk to extend.  The other 2 weren’t. That’s the value in the option - flexibility about commiting vs. diving back in to the draft early for QB. Neither team had to reach for QB this year and in TAM’s case they are likely delighted they didn’t.   In TEN’s case they can either dive in next year or piecemeal it with Tannehill next season and hit 2021 hard.   For the extra flexibility it gave them both cases appear to be smart decisions just flip sides of the same coin for the benefits.  

Edited by Broncofan

3 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

Fair enough, you think Winston gets extended in season ? 

OMG yes.  That team is a T, RB and shutdown CB from being a legit perennial contender.  As it is with no Brees for a while (that injury will affect him all year long) they are my favorite for the NFCS now.   

They probably lock up Shaq Barrett & Winston both and change their fortunes long term in a huuuge way.   Damn that was an unexpected ripple effect with drafting Chubb. 

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

They probably lock up Shaq Barrett & Winston both and change their fortunes long term in a huuuge way.   Damn that was an unexpected ripple effect with drafting Chubb.

Falcons, really shocked me so far they look like they have to blow it up tbh. I just don't see it.

The Rams D I also feel is eroding significantly who did Godwin do most of his damage against?

31 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

Something must be in the water in L.A the chiefs rams game that was super high scoring was in L.A I believe. 

Rams ILB are undersized and can’t cover speed guys.   NRC can’t cover elite slot guys.   The interior OL for the Rams are having trouble pass protecting and Goff hates inside pressure.   Vea and Suh are a big reason Barrett is eating. 

As a contrast CLE had no TE and Landry (who had a huge day but that’s because OBJ drew double and triple coverage) can’t beat regular coverage consistently.  And their best pass rushers are outside guys.  Different result because the matchups didn’t exploit LAR the same way.  

LAR will be fine so long as they take care of business internally.   TNF LAR @ SEA is going to be huuuge. 

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

Thought this was interesting 

Our offensive line makes their blocks (last at least 2.5 seconds) at a rate of 36.5%, which ranks us last. On the bright(er) side, of the 63% of the failed blocks, Flacco was sacked 11% of those times (20th in the league).

Edited by Joe_is_the_best

11 minutes ago, Joe_is_the_best said:

Thought this was interesting 

Our offensive line makes their blocks (last at least 2.5 seconds) at a rate of 36.5%, which ranks us last. On the bright(er) side, of the 63% of the failed blocks, Flacco was sacked 11% of those times (20th in the league).

How is scheme factored in,?