Random Thoughts

AnAngryAmerican

5 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

How is scheme factored in,?

I don't think it matters in our case, though - not being able to hold for more than 2.5 secs is a major problem for the O we run.

If you are saying that some teams (like OAK) design everything for the ball to be delivered in under 2.5 secs, sure....but I don't think it takes away the message that our OL sucks hard at pass pro as a unit (although I'm going to say I don't see Risner lose many battles there at all either).

5 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

I don't think it matters in our case, though - not being able to hold for more than 2.5 secs is a major problem for the O we run.

If you are saying that some teams (like OAK) design everything for the ball to be delivered in under 2.5 secs, sure....but I don't think it takes away the message that our OL sucks hard at pass pro as a unit (although I'm going to say I don't see Risner lose many battles there at all either).

There's no doubt about it we don't take many deep shots because our oline is lacking as a unit I agree with that. People keep calling for more deep shots to be taken, and the facts are you need time for that. 

The gameplan since the Bears game seems geared towards getting rid of the ball very quickly. Like the team took a page out of the Oakland philosophy. James being out, and Bolles and his limitations hurt.

3 hours ago, thebestever6 said:

The fact that Gruden didn't want to draft Haskins, and the fact that he just got fired after 5 weeks screams dysfunction. 

The WAS FO leaked the Haskins piece for sure.  The fact that video came out of him smoking “something” different was likely no coincidence either.  

WAS did this with their GM McGlohan and outing his drinking problem to fire him with cause.   So they could get out of a guaranteed deal.  No doubt they are doing the same thing, at the very least in the court of public opinion, if not trying to get out of paying Gruden for his “indiscretion” (very iffy if you ask this layman and terrible optics regardless).  

WAS has to be the worst run org.   Feel bad for the Skins fanbase no one should be subject to that level of meddling incompetence from the owner and a puppet FO. 

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Broncofan said:

WAS has to be the worst run org.   Feel bad for the Skins fanbase no one should be subject to that level of meddling incompetence from the owner and a puppet FO. 

So you're saying instead of going on with this whole joke since the end of last season they could of just hired a Private investigator, but they're too cheap to even do that? Or did they hire a bad private investigator ? Or instead of the private  investigator get a respected medical staff, one where multiple players don't have problems with them. I'll never understand that organization. 

Or just pay the piper an pay him the salary after you cut ties. 

That's how bad they are shaking my head.

Edited by thebestever6

8 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

He has to mature big time in general. 

Yep.  Even his mechanics.  Watch him hand the football off.  It makes it almost impossible to run a legitimate play action. He lunges toward the ball carrier and has a like elongated back leg kick when he hands the ball off because he’s trying to spin around and see the result of the play. Literally never seen anything like it in my life. 

I think the problem for Baker is that he isn't tall enough to play in a muddied pocket, and his Offensive Line is awful so he is going to be playing in a muddied pocket a lot.

He's also a young QB, so getting the ball out quickly after identifying the correct read isn't something he's ready for.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BroncoBruin said:

Freddie Kitchens is one of the most mind-boggling head coaching hires of all time. 

It was in general until you connect the dots. Cleveland is where Lebron is from and started his career he pulls the strings on most of his NBA teams. 

Cleveland hasn't had a quarterback since Bernie. So they gave a 23 year old more input then most organizations would.

7 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

I think the problem for Baker is that he isn't tall enough to play in a muddied pocket, and his Offensive Line is awful so he is going to be playing in a muddied pocket a lot.

He's also a young QB, so getting the ball out quickly after identifying the correct read isn't something he's ready for.

Plus, he's NOT an elite athlete - but he has this stubborn mindset he can create plays on his own, like A-Rod, Watson, Wilson, Mahomes.  He can't.   He's an accurate thrower who has terrific ball placement and anticipation.  He's good at reading D's.   But his problem vs. pressure (which to be fair, affects a lot of QB's, - but the difference is that he thinks he's better than he is here), and his lack of anything but average athletic tools (combined with the mindset that he can make these athletic plays), it's something that wasn't tested at all down the stretch last year, with that top 8 OL play, and mediocre competition.  With the VERY ill-advised trade of Kevin Zeitler, and their perennial search for a T replacement for Joe Thomas (Greg Robinson was a turnstile last night), it's exposed the weaknesses that Mayfield still had, but weren't tested last year.  And to be fair, Callaway, OBJ & Raitley all dropped key passes that Baker wasn't great at placing, but were catchable balls.  So it's not all him.  But it's fair to say he's far from the flawless QBOTF ppl thought after an admittedly stellar year.   

He's still a very good QB - but he's not an elite talent.   His elite projection was based on an elite receiving cast, and the expectation that the OL play would be fixed, and Kitchens' game prep and play calling would remain as innovative as it was last year.  It's failed miserably on both fronts, which has just exposed the weaknesses we didn't get to see last year.  But they were there.  

And to add to the story, now we find out some of his old college ways aren't gone but still back in full force....Jeez...

He had ZERO history with SF (Bosa wasn't in that coin flip meeting).  To refuse to shake hands with Sherman and the SF captains?  That's a prime ******, I'm-still-the-entitled-***hole label that he got while in OKL.  The thing is, he said he learned from that experience then, and wasn't the same guy.  Last night's pregame episode was spontaneous, had no history, and was out of the blue, with no real reason for it.  It really raises the flags from before that he's just not that smart a guy, at the very least, emotional IQ wise...or worse, just doesn't get it.  That type does fine when life is good...but when adversity hits, they don't deal with it nearly as well.  

Baker's not nearly as bad as this 5 game stretch hints at.   But he's probably not as elite as last year's bad-competition / great run game support & gamescript situations implied, either.  The real intangible IMO is how he deals with adversity now - because he had NONE last year.   Now he faces it for real.   That was a huge Q in college, and we get to see how he deals with it now.  I have to admit that this is overblown from the SF game impact, but it's a TERRIBLE look for Baker's supposed maturity post-college.  We have the test with CLE and 2-3 and Baker's play and conduct now firmly under the microscope - time to find out if he's really grown up, and can deal with adversity. 

Edited by Broncofan

18 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

at the very least, emotional IQ wise...or worse, just doesn't get it.  That type does fine when life is good...but when adversity hits, they don't deal with it nearly as well.  

He has a type A personality and Cleveland has a history of derailing QB careers.  Not a great combination at the moment lol. Wentz is starting to come around in Philly who has a similar one, Favre had a similar one. If you're a poor organization bad things can happen.

Cutler had some type A and his career got derailed on Chicago. Type A qb with a diva wr like obj is a ticking time bomb at this stage in mayfield's career.

type-a-personality-traits-3145240-5be991

Edited by thebestever6

1 minute ago, thebestever6 said:

He has a type A personality and Cleveland has a history of derailing QB careers.  Not a great combination at the moment lol. Wentz is starting to come around in Philly who has a similar one, Favre had a similar one. If you're a poor organization bad things can happen.

Cutler had some type A and his career got derailed on Chicago. 

type-a-personality-traits-3145240-5be991

Type A personalities tend to be detail-oriented, perfectionists.  It has nothing to do with crotch-pulls, flag-planting on the visitor field, or the refusing-to-shake-hands stunt he did last night vs. a team he had ZERO history with.   

Honestly, he comes off as entitled and immature.    Talented guy in his read  / accuracy & placement, but honestly some major ******-like qualities.   Again when life is good, those tend to get set aside as "he's a winner"...but when you don't win, well, those problems tend to get magnified.  We'll see if Baker's truly learned - because man, the performance is one thing (better OL play, better play calling will help him, leaning on Chubb more will too) - but the concerns with his mindset, they were there in college, and it's not even the play, as much as the context behind the continued silliness, that really make you question if he gets it. We'll see.

One thing is for sure, we signed the wrong ex-Vikings QB last summer. Teddy has been balling, albeit he has elite weapons to work with.

Its pretty interesting to think how different the direction of this team could be if we went w/ Teddy last season. I think he is going to take one of the most unique roads to proving himself a franchise QB in NFL history. Not an upper tier franchise QB, but a guy that gets it done. Its revisionist history (Albeit I always was pro-Teddy in terms of signing him), but we could be sitting pretty with a 26 year old QB that falls somewhere between franchise guy and game manager if we signed him rather than the putrid Case last season.