Preseason gm. 3 GDT Final Dress: The Debut of Zeke vs. Josh Rosen

DaBoys

GettyImages-853877282.jpg

I know, I know. We are still sad about Fredbeard. So sad in fact, that most of us have forgotten that Zack Martin had to be helped off the field last week vs. Cinci.  That's right. The Dallas Cowboys vaunted offensive line starters now look like this:

Tyron Smith--Connor Williams--Joe Looney--Kadeem Edwards--La'el Collins

Oh how the mighty have fallen.

Some are saying not to play Zeke or Dak because of the Oline, and I couldn't disagree more. At least on Fredricks account, we aren't getting resolution there any time soon.  Might as well get used to playing with it. Plus nothing gets you in game shape like playing in the games. Everyone knows it takes Zeke a game or two to get going. He needs to take a few hits, and feel the game speed for a series or two before the actual games start. Dak needs all the reps he can get. I'd play him the whole first half.

Arizona notable draft picks:

QB Josh Rosen(I really like this kid. If you watch him, you can tell he's going to be special. Very jealous of the Cardinals QB position and it's future.)

WR Christian Kirk

C Mason Cole

Game is 7pm central on Sunday. NBC iirc

1 hour ago, DaBoys said:

I know, I know. We are still sad about Fredbeard. So sad in fact, that most of us have forgotten that Zack Martin had to be helped off the field last week vs. Cinci.  That's right. The Dallas Cowboys vaunted offensive line starters now look like this:

Tyron Smith--Connor Williams--Joe Looney--Kadeem Edwards--La'el Collins

Oh how the mighty have fallen.

Cowboys fans have gotten spoiled. There is such a lack of OL talent in the NFL, there are a lot of teams that would trade their lines for that group of 5. Plus, Martin will be back for the season opener.

We'll have to adjust, certainly. But that group isn't nearly bad enough to be an excuse for underperformance from Dak or Zeke.

3 hours ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

Cowboys fans have gotten spoiled. There is such a lack of OL talent in the NFL, there are a lot of teams that would trade their lines for that group of 5.

Certainly Tyron Smith is still one of the best in the game at LT, but you wouldn't know it with the way people talk about his back and his future. Joe Looney, and Kadeem Edwards were signed off the street after being cut by 1/8th of the league combined. I doubt there's real envy there. And I believe La'el Collins is the future at RT, but a lot of others don't. I remember many hoping before the draft that Cam Flemming was being brought in to start RT, and Collins was going back to guard. Now people are trying to use Frederick's injury as an excuse to shift everyone around and draft a RT. Then there is the OT that we drafted this year at 50. Which means most teams in the league passed him up .....twice. The league wide dearth of OL talent didn't stop that from happening. I agree we have been spoiled, but 3/5ths of our starting OL(going into our dress rerhersal) are most certainly not envied by most teams, and in fact were passed up already by most teams. I like Collins at RT and I think the team does to. But I seem to be in the minority sometimes with him. 

28 minutes ago, DaBoys said:

Certainly Tyron Smith is still one of the best in the game at LT, but you wouldn't know it with the way people talk about his back and his future. Joe Looney, and Kadeem Edwards were signed off the street after being cut by 1/8th of the league combined. I doubt there's real envy there. And I believe La'el Collins is the future at RT, but a lot of others don't. I remember many hoping before the draft that Cam Flemming was being brought in to start RT, and Collins was going back to guard. Now people are trying to use Frederick's injury as an excuse to shift everyone around and draft a RT. Then there is the OT that we drafted this year at 50. Which means most teams in the league passed him up .....twice. The league wide dearth of OL talent didn't stop that from happening. I agree we have been spoiled, but 3/5ths of our starting OL(going into our dress rerhersal) are most certainly not envied by most teams, and in fact were passed up already by most teams. I like Collins at RT and I think the team does to. But I seem to be in the minority sometimes with him. 

I never said the line was perfect at this point.

But if you did this for every line in the NFL, you'd find a huge number of retreads and guys who were "passed up... (at least) twice" by every NFL team.

Things aren't amazing, but they aren't dire. Especially with Martin expected to start week 1.

32 minutes ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

I never said the line was perfect at this point.

But if you did this for every line in the NFL, you'd find a huge number of retreads and guys who were "passed up... (at least) twice" by every NFL team.

Things aren't amazing, but they aren't dire. Especially with Martin expected to start week 1.

I don't think they are dire either.

Smith--Williams--Looney--Martin--Collins

Is certainly an enviable OL, and it dominated Cinci last week.

This week, without Martin, who knows? I hope this isn't the case week 1, but it is for this week(a traditionally important/telling week) and sometimes it's sad to see something that used to be the best play at a lower level prematurely. Even if it is still good.

Jerry Jones on the topic:

"There's a good chance," Jones said Friday of quarterback Dak Prescott sitting, per the Star-Telegram. "I don't think we've completely decided yet, and that is Jason's [Garrett] call by the way. But I think we'll be pretty conservative here."

Jason Garretts' thoughts:

Garrett said, via ESPN. "We believe it's important to play guys at some point in the preseason to get them ready for regular-season action. We feel like they're more compromised in the regular season if they don't play at all in the preseason."

Sounds like at least Zeke will get a series, because he has 0 snaps, and Dak has several series.

7 minutes ago, textaz03 said:

That(Jerry) doesn't say anything about Zeke.

I would bet Zeke gets a series or two.

Also, the article says Frederick is out with Stingers and expected back week 1.... I don't think that's true either.

24 minutes ago, DaBoys said:

That(Jerry) doesn't say anything about Zeke.

I would bet Zeke gets a series or two.

Also, the article says Frederick is out with Stingers and expected back week 1.... I don't think that's true either.

Really? Oh thank God, for some reason I thought it could have been something serious. :P

23 minutes ago, WizardHawk said:

Just walk away from this game with no injuries. All I care about.

I'd like to see Zeke get in a flow. I'd also like to see one of our backup QBs step up big, and a better performance from our young DBs.

Injuries suck, but the season is 16 games long, they have to be able to get through a series or two. Everybody on the roster is going to need to help out at some point. And keeping anyone out of the preseason entirely is not helping them.

Also, please for the love of everything, can Rico Gathers do enough to earn a spot on our roster. Jarwin and Swaim are about as threatening as pair of hamsters.

Rico was taking reps with the 1s this week in preparation.

Archived