Its pretty obvious that Myles Garrett is winning DPOY in 2018

VanS

How many sacks for Myles Garrett in 2018?  

90 members have voted

1. 1. How many sacks for Myles Garrett in 2018?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/09/2018 at 04:59 AM

53 minutes ago, SBLIII said:

I think Watt would deserve it if he continues his pace but I'm not sold he would get it over other defenders more in the spotlight. 

It'll depend on how the team does. If Watt has a vintage year for a 4-12 team, it's a sign that he's back to his old ways... but it's still a 4-12 team.

• 1 month later...

Curious if people think that Hunter vaulted himself into consideration after today. Also curious if people think this was the best game by a defensive player this year.

Today:

9 tackles, 6 solo

3.5 sakcs

3 TFL

4 QB hits

1 fumble recovery for a TD

On the season:

43 tackles, 30 solo

11.5 sacks

13 TFL

1 defensive TD

17 hours ago, ILoveTheVikings said:

Curious if people think that Hunter vaulted himself into consideration after today. Also curious if people think this was the best game by a defensive player this year.

Today:

9 tackles, 6 solo

3.5 sakcs

3 TFL

4 QB hits

1 fumble recovery for a TD

On the season:

43 tackles, 30 solo

11.5 sacks

13 TFL

1 defensive TD

It's an interesting race.  You have Mack leading the first 4 games with what he did before he got hurt.  Watt quickly jumped in.  Donald springboarded himself the last few games.  Now Hunter is in the convo.  It's going to come down to who plays best and whose team plays best in the 2nd half of the season 

37 minutes ago, Superman(DH23) said:

It's an interesting race.  You have Mack leading the first 4 games with what he did before he got hurt.  Watt quickly jumped in.  Donald springboarded himself the last few games.  Now Hunter is in the convo.  It's going to come down to who plays best and whose team plays best in the 2nd half of the season 

Hot take incoming - Jadevion Clowney might overtake Watt in the discussion. The sack numbers are on Watt's side, but Clowney has been on an absolute tear recently, chalking up all of his 5.5 sacks during the six game win streak. His 10 TFLs are only trailing Donald, Hunter and DeMarcus Lawrence this season. 

If this trajectory continues, he's going to put up some big numbers.

8 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Hot take incoming - Jadevion Clowney might overtake Watt in the discussion. The sack numbers are on Watt's side, but Clowney has been on an absolute tear recently, chalking up all of his 5.5 sacks during the six game win streak. His 10 TFLs are only trailing Donald, Hunter and DeMarcus Lawrence this season. 

If this trajectory continues, he's going to put up some big numbers.

Just sucks that numbers matter. Almost getting there will never make the cut. Baldy has been beating that drum for the last 3 weeks. 

Just now, El ramster said:

Just sucks that numbers matter. Almost getting there will never make the cut. Baldy has been beating that drum for the last 3 weeks. 

You also have to look at the schedule - Washington, Tennessee, Cleveland, NY Jets, Jacksonville on the docket, so Clowney is going to have some stat padding opportunities. 

Just now, ET80 said:

You also have to look at the schedule - Washington, Tennessee, Cleveland, NY Jets, Jacksonville on the docket, so Clowney is going to have some stat padding opportunities. 

If he gets there sure.. But watching his tape is just wowzers.. I find him to be a demolition ball.. Just breaking down the Oline

causing mad havoc for Watt and others to eat... Imagine if he never got hurt/surgeries. How much more explosion would he have? 

I don't think there is a NFL athlete right now at his level. He's a specimen of a player but no one ever talks about him.

2 minutes ago, El ramster said:

If he gets there sure.. But watching his tape is just wowzers.. I find him to be a demolition ball.. Just breaking down the Oline

He does have the "splash play" angle on his side. Each one of his sacks/TFLs is probably highlight reel worthy.

3 minutes ago, El ramster said:

I don't think there is a NFL athlete right now at his level. He's a specimen of a player but no one ever talks about him.

I agree - I think people don't talk about him because they're still dialed into the chatter back in 2014. Lazy, takes plays off, etc. You add in the injuries and the progression of Khalil Mack/Aaron Donald, people quickly played the bust card. 

A few years later and Clowney turned into a monster of a human, and people are holding on dearly to those old opinions, not wanting to admit they were wrong - both locally and nationally. 

I still don't think he's worth "highest paid defensive player in football" kind of money, but I do think his contract needs to be high enough to where his salary is part of the franchise tag calculation.

Archived