Bears vs Chiefs - Preseason Week 3

Sugashane

2 minutes ago, Epyon said:

On the topic of WRs who we overvalue every year... Did Gentry even play today? Can't recall hearing his name once. 

He played late. Made a few decent blocks IIRC but I don't think he caught a pass. 

I never remembered to look on special teams to see if he was out there for that. 

Wims is on team and Bellamy is out or they need their heads examined.  

But then again I have no idea why they are being so stubborn with Whitehair at center and Daniels at guard   Its like my original idea was right and I'll show you! 

As far as the whole pre season reps argument goes.  Its like this, you love the practice but hate the injuries.  Risk is greater than reward I think.  You can go live in practice enough to get your reps in and practice is under your control.

At end of season its usually the healthy teams left standing   Easier to get through 16 games than 20 or 21   I think the Rams are doing some forward thinking.

I remember being hardly able to move on Sat. mornings and that was nothing. These guys go through hell every Mon morning.  

33 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Wims is on team and Bellamy is out or they need their heads examined.  

But then again I have no idea why they are being so stubborn with Whitehair at center and Daniels at guard   Its like my original idea was right and I'll show you! 

As far as the whole pre season reps argument goes.  Its like this, you love the practice but hate the injuries.  Risk is greater than reward I think.  You can go live in practice enough to get your reps in and practice is under your control.

At end of season its usually the healthy teams left standing   Easier to get through 16 games than 20 or 21   I think the Rams are doing some forward thinking.

I remember being hardly able to move on Sat. mornings and that was nothing. These guys go through hell every Mon morning.  

I believe Bellamy was one of the vets that Nagy held out today, so I think he makes the team. Fortunately, I don’t think it has any bearing on Wims’ outlook. Wims was even in on ST by the time the game today was wrapping up.

1) Robinson, 2) Miller, 3) Gabriel, 4) White, 5) Wims, 6) Bellamy

12 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

I believe Bellamy was one of the vets that Nagy held out today, so I think he makes the team. Fortunately, I don’t think it has any bearing on Wims’ outlook. Wims was even in on ST by the time the game today was wrapping up.

1) Robinson, 2) Miller, 3) Gabriel, 4) White, 5) Wims, 6) Bellamy

Bellamy has had an injury since the Hof game.  That's why he didn't play.  I actually think Bennie Fowler has the leg up on Bellamy for the 6th wr spot.

Other interesting things to note: Kwit played but Trevathan and Smith didn't.  I think we are going to see a 6 man rotation on the dl.  Kevin Tolliver started at rcb, so it looks like he's on the team.  We are going to have a pretty good 5-6 man rotation on the dl this year.  Eric Kush came in and played LG with the 2s, and Daniels played lg with the 3s after playing OC the entire first half.  

All in all it was a really good outing but I said before I don't know if says more about us or them.

I missed the game but 24 points against most of KC’s #1 defense by our backups is promising. 

As to us sitting our starters, I think it was going to be fodder for those looking to sell papers or page clicks either way. Many are killing Nagy for his decision, but if they’d played and someone important got hurt then they’d kill him for playing them too. How many tweets or comments or articles were written JUST ONE WEEK AGO after Floyd and Shaheen got hurt against Denver talking about how playing your top guys was unnecessarily risky? Pick a lane. And big kudos to Nagy for owning this 100%. Whether he’s right or not, this is HIS call. People are gonna question everything he does no matter which way he goes with it. That’s just part of the gig. 

A big part of me thinks that a lot of those legitimately mad about this were as much disappointed that they have to wait 2 more weeks to see more of our top guys as anything else. 

Just now, AZBearsFan said:

I missed the game but 24 points against most of KC’s #1 defense by our backups is promising. 

As to us sitting our starters, I think it was going to be fodder for those looking to sell papers or page clicks either way. Many are killing Nagy for his decision, but if they’d played and someone important got hurt then they’d kill him for playing them too. How many tweets or comments or articles were written JUST ONE WEEK AGO after Floyd and Shaheen got hurt against Denver talking about how playing your top guys was unnecessarily risky? Pick a lane. And big kudos to Nagy for owning this 100%. Whether he’s right or not, this is HIS call. People are gonna question everything he does no matter which way he goes with it. That’s just part of the gig. 

A big part of me thinks that a lot of those legitimately mad about this were as much disappointed that they have to wait 2 more weeks to see more of our top guys as anything else. 

Wait until they lose week 1. This decision on August 25 will be the only reason they lost.

56 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

Wait until they lose week 1. This decision on August 25 will be the only reason they lost.

Oh, it’ll be basically all that’s talked about, especially if the offense looks sluggish. And that’s ridiculous. They’re a big time underdog to a more established team on the road in prime time. They should lose week 1. But it’s Green Bay, so common sense goes all the way out the window. 

I think that whether or not someone agrees with the decision, if you look closely you can see the logic in it and the argument  for it.  It's a lot like Pace going after Trubisky;  bold but considered.  Just like that;  all that really matters is the result!  For Nagy I think if the Bears just look prepared week 1, no one serious will make anything of the starts sitting out the Chiefs game.  

I was surprised, but kind of liked the decision at the time, as it smacked of confidence. After the fact it looks _great_  as the Bears 2s beat up the Chiefs 1's.  Nagy must carry his balls around in a wheelbarrow if this is how he rolls. 

If nothing else,  things are going to be a lot more exciting around here.

2 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

Oh, it’ll be basically all that’s talked about, especially if the offense looks sluggish. And that’s ridiculous. They’re a big time underdog to a more established team on the road in prime time. They should lose week 1. But it’s Green Bay, so common sense goes all the way out the window. 

It’s especially ridiculous because since the 2011 CBA every team has looked slushish the first few weeks.

3 hours ago, IronMike84 said:

It’s especially ridiculous because since the 2011 CBA every team has looked slushish the first few weeks.

No no no. Coaches are magical and missing so much practce has no negative effects... because practice... is practice...

2 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

Last year Glennon looked great in the dress rehearsal, tossing it around the yard. Week 1 comes and they’re running gadget BS, wildcat, etc. IMO, practice is far more important than a vanilla scrimmage but I guess not everyone feels the same.

If not for the 2011 CBA I could agree with you, but they seriously limited the amount of time for full contact practices. Less offseason contact, more practices without pads, etc. I think it was like 5-6 weeks have been cut off completely overall.  That's a hell of a lot of practice being dropped.

13 hours ago, Sugashane said:

If not for the 2011 CBA I could agree with you, but they seriously limited the amount of time for full contact practices. Less offseason contact, more practices without pads, etc. I think it was like 5-6 weeks have been cut off completely overall.  That's a hell of a lot of practice being dropped.

Marqise Lee is out for the year after a knee injury sustained this weekend, same as Cam Meredith last year. What if that was Allen Robinson? Or Jordan Howard? Or Mitch? Or Hicks? 

Nagy’s decision to keep the bubble wrap on his top guys on Saturday shouldn’t have needed near the explanation it has required.

Archived