Broncos vs Redskins Preseason Gameday

germ-x

As far as the starting unit goes just based on tonight the run defense was a concern. Denver’s offense looked solid and balanced.  The OL played well blocking both the run and pass.  The passing game has weapons across the board.  Thomas will be Thomas, Sanders looked like the go to WR, Sutton is dangerous 1 on 1, the TEs are safety blankets, and Lindsay adds a dangerous element out of the backfield.

Defensively the pass rush got after it.  The Miller/Chubb combo squeezed the pocket consistently and forced QBs to move up.   DeMarcus Walker looked solid rushing the interior.  The team didn’t use the NASCAR look but twice and that looked lethal with Ray/Barrett coming in to spell a 3/4 end and throwing Walker along the interior.  

Aside from coverage and McManus, special teams looked average.  King’s better than Dixon, but if he plays like he did tonight he isn’t the signing he’s made out to be.

Dymonte Thomas may have made the team tonight as an LB/S.  Made plays vs both the pass and run.  Looked like the cover LB this team needs.

6 minutes ago, germ-x said:

As far as the starting unit goes just based on tonight the run defense was a concern. Denver’s offense looked solid and balanced.  The OL played well blocking both the run and pass.  The passing game has weapons across the board.  Thomas will be Thomas, Sanders looked like the go to WR, Sutton is dangerous 1 on 1, the TEs are safety blankets, and Lindsay adds a dangerous element out of the backfield.

Defensively the pass rush got after it.  The Miller/Chubb combo squeezed the pocket consistently and forced QBs to move up.   DeMarcus Walker looked solid rushing the interior.  The team didn’t use the NASCAR look but twice and that looked lethal with Ray/Barrett coming in to spell a 3/4 end and throwing Walker along the interior.  

Aside from coverage and McManus, special teams looked average.  King’s better than Dixon, but if he plays like he did tonight he isn’t the signing he’s made out to be.

Dymonte Thomas may have made the team tonight as an LB/S.  Made plays vs both the pass and run.  Looked like the cover LB this team needs.

Do you know how much time Thomas and Jewel played with the "ones"? 

Just now, AKRNA said:

Do you know how much time Thomas and Jewel played with the "ones"? 

Thomas played the entire 1st half with the 1s when they needed a cover LB.  Jewell I don’t recall playing a snap with them, unless he did when Marshall got a little banged up.  Not surprised, Jewell is a between the tackles guy, this team needs a guy that can cover.

4 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

Don't get Barrett and Ray playing the entire second half. Why not give Holland some work? 

Yeah it’s odd.  I mean the front 4 they’re rolling out for a 2nd unit is probably as good as anyone in the league.  Barrett, Ray, Walker, and McDonald.  Damn.  

8 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

Don't get Barrett and Ray playing the entire second half. Why not give Holland some work? 

Could be they want to stash him on the PS and don't want to give him a chance to shine. Pass rushing OLB's are always a hot commodity and tough to clear waivers.

1 hour ago, AKRNA said:

Could be they want to stash him on the PS and don't want to give him a chance to shine. Pass rushing OLB's are always a hot commodity and tough to clear waivers.

That may be possible.  Denver’s front 7 is ridiculously deep right now.  ILB’s iffy in coverage, but between the tackles ILBs they’re in good shape.

As of now it seems Wolfe, Gotsis, Peko, Walker, Harris, Kerr are locks along the DL with Miller, Chubb (Chubb could, if asked play 3/4 DE as well) Ray, Barrett, Marshall, Davis, and Jewell at LB. That leaves another spot at ILB, which maybe Anderson/Bierra fit there.  I think Dymonte Thomas may have earned a roster spot tonight.  If he did, maybe they roll the dice on Cravens who hasn’t been able to play and who they traded for instead of Anderson/Bierra.  It wouldn’t be a terrible thought process especially with the thin depth at S right now. If/when one of the ILBs goes down they can move up a guy from the practice squad or sign a 2 down FA (2 down FAs are a dime a dozen) at ILB. 

12 hours ago, BroncoBruin said:

12 hours ago, germ-x said:

Yeah it’s odd.  I mean the front 4 they’re rolling out for a 2nd unit is probably as good as anyone in the league.  Barrett, Ray, Walker, and McDonald.  Damn.  

12 hours ago, AKRNA said:

11 hours ago, germ-x said:

That may be possible.  Denver’s front 7 is ridiculously deep right now.  ILB’s iffy in coverage, but between the tackles ILBs they’re in good shape.

As of now it seems Wolfe, Gotsis, Peko, Walker, Harris, Kerr are locks along the DL with Miller, Chubb (Chubb could, if asked play 3/4 DE as well) Ray, Barrett, Marshall, Davis, and Jewell at LB. That leaves another spot at ILB, which maybe Anderson/Bierra fit there.  I think Dymonte Thomas may have earned a roster spot tonight.  If he did, maybe they roll the dice on Cravens who hasn’t been able to play and who they traded for instead of Anderson/Bierra.  It wouldn’t be a terrible thought process especially with the thin depth at S right now. If/when one of the ILBs goes down they can move up a guy from the practice squad or sign a 2 down FA (2 down FAs are a dime a dozen) at ILB. 

Problem with a PS stash if we have to put them on waivers, and even if they clear, any team can sign a guy off the PS if they're willing to put that player on the 53-man roster and we're not.   I'd be shocked if Holland made it to the PS to begin with, let along staying there all year long.   EDGE rushers are the Holy Grail along with CB's/QB's, if he somehow clears waivers (iffy IMO), some other team will sooner or later offer him a spot on their 53-man roster.     He and Lindsay got the highest UDFA signing bonuses in the league (before AJ Johnson became available, unique situation given his coming out so late), so clearly there was interest.   If we want to keep Holland, we have to stash him IMO - and with Barrett & Ray both UDFA's, I see this is a huge priority, because we aren't going to be big 2019 spenders, and re-upping EDGES isn't a cheap proposition.  If we were willing to stash a Langley & Jamal Carter because of their potential future role last year, Holland this year should be a no-brainer.   Frankly, if we have to stick with 2 QB's only on the 53-man roster to keep Cravens & Holland on the team, so be it - Kelly it is as QB2 (already in that camp, but possibility of having 3 QB's on roster has been discussed even with Kelly as backup).  I already think Kelly should be our backup, but I'd be even against a vet-min QB signing as 3rd QB if it meant we lose someone like Holland/Cravens instead.  If we have to put Carlos Henderson on waivers to try and stash him on the PS - another no-brainer.   Maybe that’s not enough but if either or both moves remove the roster crunch, easy call now IMO.

I didn't catch the entire game, will have to look at DVR on Sun/Mon night, but a few thoughts:

1.  Run D is indeed a problem - it's weird, because Peko, Gotsis & Wolfe should all be still very effective in that regard, it's their inability to complete the pass rush that's been their weakness (and not realistic to expect from Peko, it's what he is as a 0-tech).   Unless it's injury affecting their play, then the ILB's fall under the microscope.  In a way, I'm glad to hear Jewell didn't get a lot of time last night, because that means if there was poor ILB play, it wasn't him.  He's still going to have the rookie learning curve, but he offers the most hope of upgrading our play there.   

2.   Cravens not playing is really problematic for our roster decisions.  I'll be upfront, if the above solutions don’t solve our roster crunch and it meant losing Holland or losing Cravens, I'd rather we we roll with Thomas and Holland on our 53-man roster.  Ideally, I'd like to keep all 3, but yes, Holland is that important to us long-term.   It's good to see Thomas flash, keep in mind the WAS skill players besides Thompson are JAG's (Reed's too hurt to play much now).   So it's not indicative at all of NFL-level success, but you can only credit Thomas for what you see on film.  Ultimately, Parks' knee had better be OK, if Cravens can't get on the field, Parks is our best hybrid LB/SS shot for 2018 and long-term.   

3.   Good to see Keenum play much better - I'd recognize the OL did a much better job of keeping pressure off him.   That's also the qualifier to Keenum's better play - clean pockets make every QB better.   Hopefully he'll be better when there's more pressure, but again, can't ding him for that last night at all.   It's good to see Sanders showing old form- his problem is going to be staying healthy, at his age, once injuries come, much harder to regain and keep peak form.   

4.  Lindsay showed again why he and Holland were the highest-bonus UDFA's - a lock he'll be our 3rd RB.   Before people ask why it's not a lock he'll be our 3rd down guy right away - pass protection.   There's no doubt he offers more open-field juice than Booker, but pass pro is what keeps rookies on the bench on passing downs.   

5.  VJ's comments on Freeman / Booker still in a timeshare post-game (not naming a starter) will likely create a huge amount of angst about VJ's assessment abilities.  And if it's  a talent assessment, I'd agree as well.  The only rational argument to not saying Booker is the 3rd-down / 2-minute guy (remember, pass pro matters, and he's still a huge pass catching threat), and Freeman is the 2-down starter right now - if they want to manage Freeman's touches this year to limit the rookie wall concerns (FWIW, Andy Reid did the same with Kareem Hunt and acknowledged it in-season).   I know, I know - Freeman's had a huge workload in college annually.  But it's still a 16-game season vs. 11 over the same time period.    If it's a talent question, there's no doubt Freeman's the better runner.    If the season started today I’d imagine we’d keep 4 RB (D-Henderson being #4), Janovich and stash Williams on the PS (doubt any team claims him, and if so, so be it).  

Overall, this was as good as could be hoped for, minus the run D (which is really concerning).   One thing we need to be sober about - the last 2 weeks, we've faced likely the worst teams in each division, and sub-500 teams overall.    Even with all of our problems, given WAS's losses, we were better teams than CHI & WAS even with a non-contender outlook.   WAS in particular looks really bad (not just this week, each week so far).  We're clearly better than last year, but it's tough to say we're back to anything more than "no longer awful", especially when teams are just running base O's / base D's for 1H or less.     On that note, I'd expect we'd do well vs. SEA, OAK (especially if they somehow don't get Mack back, can't believe how they're dealing with that situation) - but I'd be wary of getting too high now (just like we shouldn't get too low when a really good team like MIN crushes us).    What encourages me most now just like after the CHI game is that our young guys are playing well - that's crucial to us returning to sustained contention long-term.   

Last thought - the next-most important goal of the preseason besides developing our youth and seeing where our O was at, was to avoid major injury.   Glad that happened at least from the 3 PS games - sucks for Shamarko Thomas (initial reports are detached retina, which is a season-ender if true), but at least he wasn't a core piece.    Given the opposing teams are likely sitting all their starters, there's no reason for us to do differently.   Time for our starters to get ready for Week 1 vs. SEA.    Side note - those who bought Jewell 47 jerseys, they likely get news it wasn't a wasted purchase (Shamarko was given 47 as he's a NFL vet, but doubt he stays with us now, release with injury settlement coming - and then I suspect Jewell will cement his ownership of 47 very soon.  Doubt any  other vet is taking that jersey away later).

58 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

4.  Lindsay showed again why he and Holland were the highest-bonus UDFA's - a lock he'll be our 3rd RB.   Before people ask why it's not a lock he'll be our 3rd down guy right away - pass protection.   There's no doubt he offers more open-field juice than Booker, but pass pro is what keeps rookies on the bench on passing downs.   

5.  VJ's comments on Freeman / Booker still in a timeshare post-game (not naming a starter) will likely create a huge amount of angst about VJ's assessment abilities.  And if it's  a talent assessment, I'd agree as well.  The only rational argument to not saying Booker is the 3rd-down / 2-minute guy (remember, pass pro matters, and he's still a huge pass catching threat), and Freeman is the 2-down starter right now - if they want to manage Freeman's touches this year to limit the rookie wall concerns (FWIW, Andy Reid did the same with Kareem Hunt and acknowledged it in-season).   I know, I know - Freeman's had a huge workload in college annually.  But it's still a 16-game season vs. 11 over the same time period.    If it's a talent question, there's no doubt Freeman's the better runner.

Pass blocking at RB gets incredibly undervalued.  Booker is an excellent pass protector, but also offers some between the tackles ability and is a good pass catcher.  There really isn’t a situation in an NFL game that Booker can’t be relied upon.  No he isn’t a great player, but a steady reliable back like that is valuable.

Freeman is no doubt the best runner.  Though, I had read Joseph wanted to see him be more productive in pass pro, which will limit him to 2 down work and 3rd and short/goal line work with Booker spelling him throughout a game.  The pass blocking likely comes down the road with some practice, but even Freeman said he never had to do it at Oregon.

Denver will sprinkle Lindsay in as well.  Some 3rd down work, throw him a carry here and there on early downs looking for an explosive play.  He’s a weak pass blocker though.  Undersized and also didn’t do a lot of it in college.  Griese laughed at one point saying it looked like Lindsay was playing patty cake trying to block an LB.

Archived