Broncos vs Redskins Preseason Gameday

germ-x

1 hour ago, thebestever6 said:

I don't know why we can't ir stash players if theres a roster crunch teams do this all the time. I  call it Carlos Hendersoning.

Teams do it for sure and we did it for C-Henderson.  The problem is that players are IR can’t even practice until they are actually activated for IR - so it really stunts their development.   If we want Holland or any other young guy to develop they need scrimmage / practice reps.   It’s why IR-ing Henderson for the whole year for a 4 week regular season injury spoke volumes as to how raw he must have been last year.  

Kelly and Butt both had so much physical recovery left to do and learning on the mental side we could easily justify it then.  Not so much for guys like Holland (or even C-Henderson last year, that was an ominous sign for sure).  

3 hours ago, Broncofan said:

Problem with a PS stash if we have to put them on waivers, and even if they clear, any team can sign a guy off the PS if they're willing to put that player on the 53-man roster and we're not.   I'd be shocked if Holland made it to the PS to begin with, let along staying there all year long.   EDGE rushers are the Holy Grail along with CB's/QB's, if he somehow clears waivers (iffy IMO), some other team will sooner or later offer him a spot on their 53-man roster.     He and Lindsay got the highest UDFA signing bonuses in the league (before AJ Johnson became available, unique situation given his coming out so late), so clearly there was interest.   If we want to keep Holland, we have to stash him IMO - and with Barrett & Ray both UDFA's, I see this is a huge priority, because we aren't going to be big 2019 spenders, and re-upping EDGES isn't a cheap proposition. 

Still, Holland is a UDFA. If we don't showcase him it's hard to imagine him not clearing waivers. UDFA to someones 53 man roster without a strong preseason is quite a leap.

Oh yeah, I think for  Ray you meant UFA, same for Barrett this year.

1 hour ago, AKRNA said:

Still, Holland is a UDFA. If we don't showcase him it's hard to imagine him not clearing waivers. UDFA to someones 53 man roster without a strong preseason is quite a leap.

Oh yeah, I think for  Ray you meant UFA, same for Barrett this year.

Yeah lol obv Ray 1st rounder hazards of posting by phone spellcheck.   

Keep in mind while Holland was a UDFA he and Lindsay got the highest signing bonuses in the league this year (before AJ Johnson).   That’s no coincidence.   Anything is possible but that signals a level of interest well above the typical UDFA.  

2 takeaways from this game:

1) Devonte Booker needs to be cut. I think Henderson/Lindsay both showed more as capable backups to Freeman. Im not even sure he is better than Williams. I dont know how you can watch these 3 preseason games and come to the conclusion that Booker is better than any of those 4 RBs.

2) If the Broncos decide to start Yiadom/Langley at all this season, then they are screwed. Both of those guys have done nothing but get torched the entire preseason and it would be different if they had outstanding camps--but they didnt. I would like to think that the Broncos would be scouring the wire for a solid veteran for CB3/CB4 when cuts happen. Im not really into watching Yiadom/Langley get smoked out of the slot the entire year to realize they need more depth at CB when week 9 rolls around.

The more I watch Lindsay in action, the more I wonder how the hell this kid went undrafted. As a scout, how do you miss that kind of explosiveness? Every time the dude touches the ball, the entire defense looks horrified. 

21 minutes ago, 1234567 said:

The more I watch Lindsay in action, the more I wonder how the hell this kid went undrafted. As a scout, how do you miss that kind of explosiveness? Every time the dude touches the ball, the entire defense looks horrified. 

I like how quick he is getthing through the hole. Its almost like he can make up for terrible line play because he can squeeze through the lanes so fast it doesnt give the O-line a chance to screw things up.

1 hour ago, 1234567 said:

Well, he's too undersized to be a between-the-tackles guy.  And as @germ-x noted, his blocking is very suspect, because of his size limitations.     There's no doubt on his ball skills, but the bigger point is that RB is really that disposable.   Guys like Chris Carson & Corey Clement go undrafted each year - and find a way to make NFL rosters and be big role contributors.   It's why if you are going to spend early capital on a RB, it should be a true 3-down guy, not just a role player.   It's also why extending guys into their 2nd contract is a very iffy proposition.

Before people get too excited though - Lindsay is going to have to show he can pass-block before he sees a ton of action.  It's one thing to show ball skills with 2nd-teamers or in the PS - but given how important Keenum is to the team, Lindsay has got to demonstrate that protection ability before he's anything more than the 3rd RB.    For all the "cut Booker" calls, they ignore how fundamental pass-pro is for that position - it's literally the main reason talented in-space rookie RB's don't get on the field.    Booker & Lindsay are the 2 difference-making pass-catchers, and no doubt Lindsay has more open-field juice - but he's got to show the ability to get his block assignments down, read blitz responsibility, and of course, hold off his guy before we see a lot of work (barring injury).   Until then, Booker's probably getting the majority of the 3rd-down / 2-minute drill work.    Booker's not a guy you get attached to once his cheap rookie deal is done, but the pass pro is the one requirement to get that work before you factor in ball skills (both are excellent receivers, no doubt Lindsay has more make-ppl miss / home run ability, but pass-pro/blocking matters first).

1 hour ago, Broncofan said:

Yeah lol obv Ray 1st rounder hazards of posting by phone spellcheck.   

Keep in mind while Holland was a UDFA he and Lindsay got the highest signing bonuses in the league this year (before AJ Johnson).   That’s no coincidence.   Anything is possible but that signals a level of interest well above the typical UDFA.  

How many cuts do we have this year to get to 53? Is it just 1?

9 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

How many cuts do we have this year to get to 53? Is it just 1?

No idea yet - just got back from vacations (just enough time to watch games and stay up to date with Renck / Klis and usual sources).    Family time first for now (in theory lol).  At least we don’t have to decide for another week+.  Sounds like Shamarko Thomas injury serious enough so lot could change to roster projections.   How many QB/RB/hybrid guys we keep will really change the available openings.  

1 hour ago, Broncofan said:

No idea yet - just got back from vacations (just enough time to watch games and stay up to date with Renck / Klis and usual sources).    Family time first for now (in theory lol).  At least we don’t have to decide for another week+.  Sounds like Shamarko Thomas injury serious enough so lot could change to roster projections.   How many QB/RB/hybrid guys we keep will really change the available openings.  

I didn't phrase that question very well. So, do we have a cut from 90 to 53 at one time (thats a ton of players on the waiver wire all at once) or do they stagger it with a cut from 90 to 70 first or something like that..

They used to have about four cuts. I think now it's just one or two.

32 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

I didn't phrase that question very well. So, do we have a cut from 90 to 53 at one time (thats a ton of players on the waiver wire all at once) or do they stagger it with a cut from 90 to 70 first or something like that..

They used to have about four cuts. I think now it's just one or two.

Yeah it’s one time (I didn’t think that answer through much either lol).  90 to 53.   Gives us more time to make the final decisions but man that’s a day of huge turnover.  

2 hours ago, Broncofan said:

Well, he's too undersized to be a between-the-tackles guy.  And as @germ-x noted, his blocking is very suspect, because of his size limitations.     There's no doubt on his ball skills, but the bigger point is that RB is really that disposable.   Guys like Chris Carson & Corey Clement go undrafted each year - and find a way to make NFL rosters and be big role contributors.   It's why if you are going to spend early capital on a RB, it should be a true 3-down guy, not just a role player.   It's also why extending guys into their 2nd contract is a very iffy proposition.

Before people get too excited though - Lindsay is going to have to show he can pass-block before he sees a ton of action.  It's one thing to show ball skills with 2nd-teamers or in the PS - but given how important Keenum is to the team, Lindsay has got to demonstrate that protection ability before he's anything more than the 3rd RB.    For all the "cut Booker" calls, they ignore how fundamental pass-pro is for that position - it's literally the main reason talented in-space rookie RB's don't get on the field.    Booker & Lindsay are the 2 difference-making pass-catchers, and no doubt Lindsay has more open-field juice - but he's got to show the ability to get his block assignments down, read blitz responsibility, and of course, hold off his guy before we see a lot of work (barring injury).   Until then, Booker's probably getting the majority of the 3rd-down / 2-minute drill work.    Booker's not a guy you get attached to once his cheap rookie deal is done, but the pass pro is the one requirement to get that work before you factor in ball skills (both are excellent receivers, no doubt Lindsay has more make-ppl miss / home run ability, but pass-pro/blocking matters first).

Couldn’t have said it better myself.  All the “cut Booker” stuff is a joke.  Again, he’s not a star or an everydown back.  But the guy basically single handily blocked 2 started DEs on Denver’s 1st 2 drives and did so rather easily.  That’s not something you find on the FA market or is a skill set easy to acquire.  Factor in he’s capable (not good) at working between the tackles at 220 pounds and is a good receiver....no way in hell you cut a guy like that with this inexperienced backfield...especially when he’s cheap.

16 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

Has there been any janovich lead blocking  for freeman this preseason? That would be lethal no?

Freeman’s TD run Janovich was the lead blocker and stuffed an ILB which sprung it.  Janovich also had the block that sprung Sanders reverse TD.

Archived