Stock Up, Stock Down for OAK

ChaRisMa

So you didn't stay up to watch the game? Well some of us did.

Stock UP:

Kenny Clark absolutely dominated the run game. He crapped on them. Down after down.

Jaire Alexander had a highlight INT after getting beat by Carr/Cooper for 49 to open the game. He also ran a  flawless game as a PR, including blocking the first man down when he wanted the ball to enter the end zone, and leaning into what the back judge flagged as fair catch interference before someone with a lesser view decided it wasn't.

Josh Jackson had a pick-6 where he undercut the route and otherwise looked tight in coverage.

Reggie Gilbert again looked like the teams 3rd best pass rusher, causing a fumble/sack when Donald Penn decided to take the play off and put skates on.

Vince Biegel made more plays in the 2nd half than he has in his entire time in GB, setting the edge against G/FB combos, squared up EJ Manuel and stopped him dead 1v1 open field, had a couple tackles.

J'Mon Moore caught 4/4 passes (62 yards) in a game that saw every other skill player on offense mightily struggle. If you were waiting for him to show up, he definitely did, including taking a shot late and holding on.

Adam Pankey was moved from RG to RT after Kyle Murphy was pulled and brought some stability. Definitely pleased his coaches there.

Emmanuel Byrd caught a few balls from Kizer and moved us inside the 10 on a drive that resulted in 3 pts.

Stock DOWN:

Kyle Murphy was dreadful at RT, think Allen Barbre vs Cincinnati. He got pulled after about an entire half of absolutely ruining our offense in concert with the other 2nd string OL (none of the starters played on O). He doesn't have the athleticism to play RT. It was a mess.

Brett Hundley continued to hold the ball too long, turn his three step drops into four step drops when he should be stepping into his throws. The offense was 1-6 on third downs and 0-1 on fourth downs with Hundley. I can't make excuses for Hundley, but his OL was shook.

Deshone Kizer looked like the exact same guy we saw in Cleveland last year. A couple good throws, then some bum throws that should've been intercepted.

Jason Spriggs had some struggles at LT early on, but seemed to put some respectable play as the game went on.

Any OL Not Previously Mentioned other than Lucas Patrick stunk. Bad. 

Lance Kendricks dropped a TD pass that was behind him but completely catchable.

Kyler Fackrell failed to hold the edge multiple times, and never produced a pressure, either.

Quentin Rollins was demoted to garbage time.

JK Scott had a bad punt, although the rest of the night was solid.

Nothing else happened to the WR battle. The OL + QB combo was so bad no one could do anything.

6 hours ago, ChaRisMa said:

Brett Hundley continued to hold the ball too long, turn his three step drops into four step drops when he should be stepping into his throws. The offense was 1-6 on third downs and 0-1 on fourth downs with Hundley. I can't make excuses for Hundley, but his OL was shook.

Deshone Kizer looked like the exact same guy we saw in Cleveland last year. A couple good throws, then some bum throws that should've been intercepted.

Pretty much agree. Sadly, if we lost Rodgers for 3-4 games in-season I still have very little confidence we have a competent backup who could simply keep us afloat. Neither QB got any help from a terrible OL showing, but both have the same problems that plagued them last year.

Here are my highly unqualified opinions:

Great to see Moore finally hold onto the ball. He put himself in the conversation tonight. One more preseason game like this and I'll be ready to board the J'Mon bus. But I'm still not sold on having three rookies backing up the three starters. Keep 7? Davis or Kumerow? My money is on Kumerow. 

Byrd had another good night. Can he replace Kendricks? Tonyan to the PS? Need some youth at TE going forward.

Spriggs looked fine. Remember, he's recovering from a pretty bad knee injury. Patrick was solid. The rest of them don't look ready. I would have a hard time picking an 8th guy for the 53. Pankey maybe? Cole Madison where are you?

Time to move on from Goodson, Hawkins, Brown. Pipkins was the victim of a bad PI at the end of the game. I think the refs just wanted to go home. Didn't Pringle try out for the Packers last year?

Nice to see Biegle show up. What ILBers are available?

M. Adams looks like he will help this year.

I understand that positional versatility is very valuable. But why must we always play guys at positions they clearly cannot play? Also, as a coach, when you see a guy cannot perform a certain position (Kyle Murphy at RT), how do you not provide help on his side more consistently (or at all)?

We've got like 3 tackles on this team and 1,000 guards trying to play tackle. Can't we just find an actual tackle? I promise we can let him try guard sometimes if it makes McCarthy happy.

This stuff has been bothering a lot of us for a long time. You can count Damarious Randall and Quentin Rollins in this too. They're safeties who we force to play corner. We seem to try to be too cute with certain positions whether it's linebackers, secondary players, and oline. 

With all that said, I'm excited for the season to start. I have high expectations for this team.

9 minutes ago, rthom348 said:

This stuff has been bothering a lot of us for a long time. You can count Damarious Randall and Quentin Rollins in this too. They're safeties who we force to play corner. We seem to try to be too cute with certain positions whether it's linebackers, secondary players, and oline. 

We also need to understand this is partly the personnel departments doing too. I mean we haven’t really drafted any oline players that didn’t spend a lot of their time at tackle in college. I think outside of Ted’s early years... Lindsey is the only oline guy they drafted that didn’t play tackle in college.

They have athletic thresholds for these positions, so I’m not to upset with the developing of the players in that way and trying them at the premiere positions first.

I am however upset in how slow the coaches are to either transition players when it’s clear they cant handle the premier positions or at the very least give a dude help so you can truly evaluate your players!!!

Like everyone can give the QBs a hard time for their play... but it’s tough to get anything going when you’re getting beat that easily up front. This game might as well of been a throw away game on offense.

Burks' injury is being reported as a shoulder dislocation. Haven't seen ant timetable on it, but I've seen a few sources saying a typical timetable on a shoulder dislocation for pro athletes is 4-12 weeks without surgery. On the other hand, he wasn't wearing a sling on the sideline which one would expect if it was a serious issue.

7 minutes ago, Cakeshoppe said:

Burks' injury is being reported as a shoulder dislocation. Haven't seen ant timetable on it, but I've seen a few sources saying a typical timetable on a shoulder dislocation for pro athletes is 4-12 weeks without surgery. On the other hand, he wasn't wearing a sling on the sideline which one would expect if it was a serious issue.

Yea, the biggest problem with Burks' injury is that he's a rookie. If Martinez for example hurt his shoulder and was going to be out 3-4 weeks, you'd be fine with him coming back and stepping right in where he left off. Different story for Burks. Every day at practice is critical for him. Every snap in a preseason game is critical for him. So, even if he's out only about 3-4 weeks with a mild separation, the setback takes a toll on his development. This is primarily the reason why, even if we get lucky and he's back relatively quickly, I think GB has to add another ILB because the injury alone to Burks is going to hurt him (and therefore our defense) that much more because he's in the middle of his rookie learning/development phase.

I had a bachelor party last night so I watched from a bar, DVR'd the game but I don't think I'm going to rewatch a 6 point preseason performance.

From the eyes of liquored up PR, I thought the run fill was leagues better than last week, DL looked much better. Ahmad Thomas made some plays and the rookie CBs are going to take the ball away this year, need both on the field.

Offensively man is Kyle Murphy trash, like cut him trash. Hopefully another team cuts a Byron Bell and we grab him and dump Murphy, that guy is a disaster. I though Spriggs, Bell, Patrick, Day (who I'd keep over Murphy) all had decent days.

Daniels the RB we picked up is the best out of the UDFA group. Might even be better than Mays.

Shame we could see MVS, ESB or Moore shine, Moore was much better. Hundley was crap 2017 Hundley and Kizer didn't have a second to breathe. I really hope this isn't counted against the rooks as that OL play was miserable. Totally comfortable with the actual backups who will make the team but the UDFA group we brought in this year is miserable. Spriggs, Bell, Patrick, Day would be my backups. Spriggs first off at OT, Bell at OG, Patrick at C. I like how Day has progressed so he gets Murphy's spot.

8 hours ago, ChaRisMa said:

Jason Spriggs had some struggles at LT early on, but seemed to put some respectable play as the game went on.

Any OL Not Previously Mentioned other than Lucas Patrick stunk.

Kyler Fackrell failed to hold the edge multiple times, and never produced a pressure, either.

Awful commentary- just terrible!

Haters power whining about Frackell and Spriggs just don't have a clue.

Just like the two previous preseason games, Spriggs played well. He was bull rushed once (but kept his man in front of him) and had one negative run play. Most of the night he stoned the man in front of him... Spiggs and Patrick established themselves as the 6th and 7th O-linemen last night and look to be active on game days. Day, cross training at guard, was OK and looks like the 8th O-lineman. The goal line panelty was disappointing, but he was OK at his secondary position. He is the 2nd best center on the team and would probably start at center if something happened to Linsley. 

The Fackrell hate is so silly posters are making stuff up to complain about and getting away with it- awful... Fackrell set the edge many times, Gilbert actually blew it a couple times, one time for big run around the left side... Fackrell had three pressures last night. He embarrassed the LT on one play with a fake inside, then ran past him to the outside causing Cook to throw the ball away. He was good rushing the passer.

3 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

I had a bachelor party last night so I watched from a bar, DVR'd the game but I don't think I'm going to rewatch a 6 point preseason performance.

From the eyes of liquored up PR, I thought the run fill was leagues better than last week, DL looked much better. Ahmad Thomas made some plays and the rookie CBs are going to take the ball away this year, need both on the field.

Offensively man is Kyle Murphy trash, like cut him trash. Hopefully another team cuts a Byron Bell and we grab him and dump Murphy, that guy is a disaster. I though Spriggs, Bell, Patrick, Day (who I'd keep over Murphy) all had decent days.

Daniels the RB we picked up is the best out of the UDFA group. Might even be better than Mays.

Shame we could see MVS, ESB or Moore shine, Moore was much better. Hundley was crap 2017 Hundley and Kizer didn't have a second to breathe. I really hope this isn't counted against the rooks as that OL play was miserable. Totally comfortable with the actual backups who will make the team but the UDFA group we brought in this year is miserable. Spriggs, Bell, Patrick, Day would be my backups. Spriggs first off at OT, Bell at OG, Patrick at C. I like how Day has progressed so he gets Murphy's spot.

If Burks is out 3-5 weeks (probably best case), are you willing to weather the storm with Thomas (or a Clay move inside) until Burks returns or do you agree that a move at ILB is a must? 

Archived