Stock Up, Stock Down for OAK

ChaRisMa

11 hours ago, ChaRisMa said:

So you didn't stay up to watch the game? Well some of us did.

Stock UP:

Vince Biegel made more plays in the 2nd half than he has in his entire time in GB, setting the edge against G/FB combos, squared up EJ Manuel and stopped him dead 1v1 open field, had a couple tackles.

Thanks for the full write up , greatly appreciated.  Did you do this live or did you go back and watch it in slo-mo ?

Also, did Biegel take any snaps inside at ILB or was he only lined up at OLB last night ?

4 hours ago, Donzo said:

Awful commentary- just terrible!

Haters power whining about Frackell and Spriggs just don't have a clue.

Just like the two previous preseason games, Spriggs played well. He was bull rushed once (but kept his man in front of him) and had one negative run play. Most of the night he stoned the man in front of him... Spiggs and Patrick established themselves as the 6th and 7th O-linemen last night and look to be active on game days. Day, cross training at guard, was OK and looks like the 8th O-lineman. The goal line panelty was disappointing, but he was OK at his secondary position. He is the 2nd best center on the team and would probably start at center if something happened to Linsley. 

The Fackrell hate is so silly posters are making stuff up to complain about and getting away with it- awful... Fackrell set the edge many times, Gilbert actually blew it a couple times, one time for big run around the left side... Fackrell had three pressures last night. He embarrassed the LT on one play with a fake inside, then ran past him to the outside causing Cook to throw the ball away. He was good rushing the passer.

Yea I think the hate on these 2 goes overboard, though each of those guys has things to work on. Probably because a lot of people use the measuring stick of comparing them to starters around the league instead of other backups.

Then at a certain point, people have their opinions permanently set and you get into confirmation bias territory and a bit of echo-chamber effect. Spriggs has actually graded pretty well in run blocking and made improvements from last year. Fackrell has some struggles vs the run, but is in the top-25% of edge rushers in pressures. Both him and Gilbert are in the top-10 in pressures-per-rush-snap so far this preseason.

For me:

stock up:

Jackson and Jaire. Great to see the rooks make some plays. Jaire did get burned by amari on the opening play, but his recovery speed was excellent and he seemed to shrug off the play. Which is important.

stock down:

Mike Mcarthy...in a game where you need to get some solid qb evaluation, he does the QBs zero favors. Hodgepodge backup olineman against the raiders number one D and he calls mostly 5-7 step drop playcalls whilst making his olineman battle one on one. What did he think was gonna happen? 

Different ways to look at that N8

The Packers need to know which of the back up OL to keep and how their back- up QBs handle pressure. Hundley and Kizer wear pink jerseys in practice and are off limits, so the only chance you get to see them handle live-fire is in the game. Game 3 of preseason, the training wheels come off and that's a really valuable learning experience for everybody. Sure, it was a poor display and you certainly hope for better. But ripping the HC over it seems off base, that's how the real world works and the coaches need to see it and how these guys react to it. Helping Murphy doesn't tell us if Murphy is a keeper and cut down day is looming

Another review I came across said Hundley was turning his 3 step drops into 4 as he double clutched time and again. Maybe one of the other posters can shed some light on that - I ain't watching it again.

2 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

Thanks for the full write up , greatly appreciated.  Did you do this live or did you go back and watch it in slo-mo ?

Also, did Biegel take any snaps inside at ILB or was he only lined up at OLB last night ?

I watched it live. Didn’t see Biegel take any reps at ILB, but he did show great pursuit.

3 minutes ago, ChaRisMa said:

I watched it live. Didn’t see Biegel take any reps at ILB, but he did show great pursuit.

He did move around pretty well. Still didn't see much of a pass rush from him. He's probably a better off the ball LB at this point. Similar to Fackrell quite honestly but Biegel plays with a little more intensity at least. 

24 minutes ago, ChaRisMa said:

To those who were wondering why KC played so much last night...

His family was probably at the game. Last time they get to drive from home to see him play.

Kinda doubt they drove there if they went. The family's from Southern California and it's like a 6.5 hour drive. They'd be a lot closer to the LA Rams game week 8.

9 hours ago, packfanfb said:

Pretty much agree. Sadly, if we lost Rodgers for 3-4 games in-season I still have very little confidence we have a competent backup who could simply keep us afloat. Neither QB got any help from a terrible OL showing, but both have the same problems that plagued them last year.

I agree, the OL didn't help either one.  Hundley seemed to handle it better.

37 minutes ago, TransientTexan said:

I forget who tweeted it (a reporter or Ben-Fennell-type), but I think they was saying the shortest recoveries for dislocated shoulders is 3-5 weeks 

I wonder if it's possible that it popped out and popped right back in, in which case he would have maybe hyperextended some ligaments but perhaps have a much shorter recovery time. Maybe they held him out of the game as a precaution. It's hard to believe that he would have sustained such a serious injury during warm-ups. 

Murphy has consistently struggled with speed rushers since he arrived in Green Bay.

Last night, playing RT, the position MM came out this week and said was his most natural spot, he got beat by bull rushes time after time after time until he finally got pulled.

Khalil Mack did not suit up last evening. He was getting beaten badly by Raider backups.

Murphy is in his third training camp. Really hard to see what his strengths are and or upside is at this point.  

Murphy was a 7th round pick for a reason. Maybe the injury last season is also negatively impacting his play this training camp.

Would love to see Pankey get some more time at RT next week.

Archived