Should Blake start?

pwny

14 hours ago, .Buzz said:

The roster we have you seem very, very down on as far as talent and act as if even with a solid QB this team isnt going anywhere or has a chance at anything. I dont agree with that at all...

The 2nd thing I dont agree with is thst we "broke Blake". The guy is going into yr 4 and had an awful rookie season and terrible 3rd season. Due to this, we had to fire our HC, fire multiple position coaches, bring in a guy to head all operations and oversee everything, etc. When all of this happens, the new guys on the building have zero attachment to the QB and shpuldnt when he has been one of the buggest laughing stocks as far as QBs go with mechanics (which wouls have never worked in the NFL), terrible decision making, etc. 

Due to all of this and him having only one decent year in his three year career, and the woes of this team last year being our running game and turnover prone of a QB, we brought in a RB and want to limit what the QB has to do because for the first three years Blake has done what he wanted to do and we've picked top 5 every year doing that.

Is Blakes confidence shattered? Yeah, it is. But that is very heavily due to his own play and because going into year 4 he still hasnt progressed into anything mirroring a franchise QB at any level. Due to this, only the GM who has a guy to answer to is left from the regime that selected him and when that happens, well ya know...hes pretty much done unless he miraculously improves. Pretty obvious he is still struggling in so many parts of his games and does more harm then good while out there.

I don't mean to suggest Bortles was amazing and perfect and we broke him or anything.  Just that there was a time he at least looked confidently irresponsible with the football.  That's where he looks broken.  Obviously his own inability to protect the football plays a central role in that, but whatever is being done to support him...isn't going well at all.  QBs playing gunshy and terrified of turning the ball over just seems to ironically lead to more and more mistakes.  I think that's what we're seeing now.

Just have to agree to disagree on the roster i guess.  I think there's a lot of talent there, but it doesn't look like a good team to me.  It looks like largely the same as the 3-13 team from last year.  Same fatal flaws, same lack of a clear cohesive plan that plays to guys strengths.  I'm not even sure how far an expert game manager like Alex Smith could take this group unless something really comes together quickly.

On 8/18/2017 at 7:01 PM, iPwn said:

One regressed beyond what made any sense, the other continued to develop. Sucks.

But Blake absolutely was on the same tier as Carr after year two. 

I don't think he was ever on Carr's level as an all around QB even in 2015. He had nice stats that year, but Carr was the better more effective QB. I remember watching Blake in 2015 and just coming away super impressed with Allen Robinson. The amount of ridiculous 50-50 catches he came down with was insane. It was like watching Daunte Culpepper with Randy Moss back in the day.

Bortles has all the physical traits , but never seemed like a true passer to me. He is like Josh Freeman 2.0. Josh Freeman had a pretty decent second year, iirc, then just was never the same. 

Luckily for you guys, the rest of your team in stacked with talent. If the Jags can get even a decent QB, this is a team that is challenging for a playoff spot.

So clarification on the whole “Blake disappeared from the locker room” thing.

Sounds like Marrone pulled both Henne and Blake out of the locker room before they had a chance to do anything and had a long discussion with them. Then Marrone went and met with the media in the media room, while Blake and Chad changed out of their gear in the locker room.

This gave the appearance that Blake just high tailed it out of the locker room to avoid the media. And later after it was learned he was in the building still, as if he had left to compose himself.

24 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

All on Tom Coughlin. He has legit full control on everything right now. No idea what he can possibly see happening with our situation.

Tom’s stubbornness comes with good and bad. This is the bad.

Unless they’re planning on punting this season and picking a guy in the top 3 again, they need to make a move for Kaep, Smith or Hundley or someone. And if they are planning to punt the season, this team isn’t ever getting better.

Just now, iPwn said:

Tom’s stubbornness comes with good and bad. This is the bad. Unless they’re planning on punting this season and picking a guy in the top 3 again, they need to make a move for Kaep, Smith or Hundley or someone.

Think we may be waiting for one more week to see what happens? If Blake is atrocious again then I don't see how we sit on our hands. Not with the mentality of win now. Unless we think Henne can pull a Kyle Orton for BUF (who had a more proven/better defense if I remember right) there is no way we can trot out this season with our current situation.

If that means moving a 2nd for a QB so be it. I really don't care for McCarron (some of those gifs that have been posted are alarming), but honestly I just want to see us do something that shows we care. Right now, it really doesn't look like we do. Bortles has ZERO confidence, is underthrowing guys, terrible footwork, slightly improved mechanics from last year (still bad, if he could make it work with them then I wouldn't care but he can't). 

Kaep just makes too much sense. I get Jacksonville is a big military town but I've heard a lot of people in the military actually support him. I don't want to get political on here but come on, if we brings more wins/improved QB play that give us a chance than people will be buying Kaep jerseys/more people filling the stands than if Blake is in there.

Archived