Packers Acquire Antonio Morrison for Lenzy Pipkins

Hawkfan191

Move like this made total sense regardless of whether Burks ever got hurt, which is why I'm hoping this has nothing to do with Burks' injury or timetable. Morrison is a thumper, aka Jake Ryan. You needed that addition when Ryan got hurt, regardless of Burks. 

Pip was at the bottom of the depth chart at CB so why not deal him for a guy who might be able to take Ryan's spot? He's not a Navorro Bowman name, but he's also not some UDFA Ted Thompson special. Guy has played quality time for Indy. Should fill Ryan's limited role nicely.

18 minutes ago, HyponGrey said:

But Pip isn't undertalented...

Hey he only needs to outplay D.J. White, Lashard Durr, Chris Milton and Robert Jackson for that 5th spot.

If he can overtake Pierre Desir and Quincy Wilson on the outside or Kenny Moore and Nate Hairston in the inside then he can get legitimate playing time

It would not surprise me if Green Bay gave Indy their pick of the "bottom of the roster" CBs, and Pipkins is probably the one I'd want too assuming Rollins is unfixable (on any timescale that benefits the Colts).

I wonder how long this has been in the works since Morrison seems like more of a replacement for Jake Ryan in terms of "what they do well/where they are limited"; he's like in every way the opposite of Burks.

3 minutes ago, Wyld Stallyns said:

Hey he only needs to outplay D.J. White, Lashard Durr, Chris Milton and Robert Jackson for that 5th spot.

If he can overtake Pierre Desir and Quincy Wilson on the outside or Kenny Moore and Nate Hairston in the inside then he can get legitimate playing time

Pipkins is one of those guys that needs a chance.  The Packers drafted corner in round and two, and also brought back Tramon Williams.  There just wasn't much opportunity for Pipkins to shine in GB.  In the little we've seen of him he looked the part and showed some ball skills and flair.  It didn't look like it was too big for him.

Trading CB's for run first off the ball LB's is bad business in today's NFL but I kinda like this move.

I'd love to have a few more guys that think like Morrison in that room(kid is a dog). He'll do the dirty work and do it well. There's no premium on his job in today's NFL but he's cheap and it was a contract year for Ryan. Why not....

2 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

It would not surprise me if Green Bay gave Indy their pick of the "bottom of the roster" CBs, and Pipkins is probably the one I'd want too assuming Rollins is unfixable (on any timescale that benefits the Colts).

I wonder how long this has been in the works since Morrison seems like more of a replacement for Jake Ryan in terms of "what they do well/where they are limited"; he's like in every way the opposite of Burks.

Doubtful. 

Think it's pretty clear from the combination of McCarthy's off-season comments + CB rotation in the preseason + trading Pipkins... that they have a plan for Waters. 

3 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

Good point .. he's the replacement for Jake Ryan.  More of a thumper than a cover guy for sure.  Morrison was productive ... Morrison, the team’s 4th round pick in 2016, tallied 153 total tackles in 19 starts over the past two seasons.

From packers.com

He’s considered a leader in the locker room

NFL scouts praised Morrison’s leadership qualities leading up to the 2016 NFL Draft and counted his on-field intensity among his greatest strengths. Voted a defensive captain at Florida his senior year, Morrison is regarded for his competitiveness and work ethic. He’s also known for his hustle and playing to the whistle.

Not sure if it matters, but Philbin would have seen him in Indy last year

21 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Pipkins is one of those guys that needs a chance.  The Packers drafted corner in round and two, and also brought back Tramon Williams.  There just wasn't much opportunity for Pipkins to shine in GB.  In the little we've seen of him he looked the part and showed some ball skills and flair.  It didn't look like it was too big for him.

Nope. Not buying that theory. Thats the "Jeff Janis would have done great if only given the chance" concept.  Talent forces its way on to the field IMO and what with all the injuries to the CBs in recent years - Linzy didnt do that - or make himself a bigger consideration over somebody else getting drafted. I look at it in reverse: some of the above moves wouldnt have been necessary if Pipkens had shown he's all that.

Archived