Giants trade Brett Jones C to Vikings

49erurtaza

14 minutes ago, TJM217 said:

Title says Ben jones. I thought it was referring to the Titans center. 

Fixed.

Anyway, I don't know much about Brett Jones, but I noticed earlier in the offseason he was penciled in as the starting Center. And the Giants OL is already pretty bad. What the hey diddle diddle, Giants fans?

37 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

Fixed.

Anyway, I don't know much about Brett Jones, but I noticed earlier in the offseason he was penciled in as the starting Center. And the Giants OL is already pretty bad. What the hey diddle diddle, Giants fans?

The Giants staff last year loved him and hated Richburg for some reason. Jones played well. He's very undersized, but scrappy in the run game and solid in pass protection. With the new staff, Halapio impressed them more than Jones did and won the starting Center job, never looking back. Jones became even more expendable because we have Greco on the roster, who has an established relationship with Shurmur and can play G and C. Greco is also still pretty good. He got a 2nd round tender this offseason, so it frees almost 3 million from the cap, which is nice. 

If this is for a 7th, its a good trade for both teams. Minny's OL is pretty decimated by injuries and Jones is solid at G and C. He wasn't going to play this year for the Giants and Greco is most likely a wash when compared to Jones as far as caliber of backup. Getting something for him now is nice. 

Also, our OL is not "pretty bad". Our left side is very solid, right side could be bad though. From what Omameh has shown in preseason, especially in pass pro, John Jerry or Jon Greco may be a better option. Coaching staff loves Halapio at center, and we all know about Flowers. 

1 hour ago, Bucketheadsdad said:

You mean that the light just didn't go on for him in camp, right?  ;) 

Yeah, I don't get it, he, along with the other 89 guys on the roster were leaders of the team, who helped make everybody else better, and was the first one in the building and last one out.

Its almost as if all those offseason reports about players are total garbage...?

12 hours ago, TheKillerNacho said:

Fixed.

I haven’t watch preseason at all bar a few highlights but I have not heard OL being bad. I heard that in run blocking there’s are struggles but the pass pro has been solid.

13 hours ago, Gmen said:

Giants so stacked on the offensive line they have talent to give away

Jones graded out as one of the Giants' best offensive players overall by Pro Football Focus for his effort against the New York Jets this past Friday in the third preseason game, but he never fit the new offensive direction and scheme on the offensive line due to his size. Jones was a better fit for the 2017 version of the offensive line -- a more finesse blocking line. The 2018 Giants offensive line added size in an effort to incorporate more power-blocking in the run game.

The Giants will save and return all $2.9 million of Jones' 2018 salary cap hit after the trade. With the Giants having around just $1 million in salary cap space prior to this transaction, the $2.9 million will go a long way in allowing them to add veteran help at other positions on NFL cutdown day this coming weekend. The Giants have the No. 2 waiver priority for any player released to waivers at the final cutdown.

https://247sports.com/nfl/minnesota-vikings/Article/New-York-Giants-trade-Brett-Jones-to-the-Minnesota-Vikings-121057438/

15 hours ago, minutemancl said:

Also, our OL is not "pretty bad". Our left side is very solid, right side could be bad though. From what Omameh has shown in preseason, especially in pass pro, John Jerry or Jon Greco may be a better option. Coaching staff loves Halapio at center, and we all know about Flowers. 

Oh dear.. you guys have Patrick Omameh penciled in as a starter and one of the other options is John Jerry?? You're worse off than I thought...

Archived