C Brett Jones traded for 7th Round Pick from the Vikings

Acgott

25 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

What changed? I thought he was expected to start for you guys this year?

Yes in the early spring but Halapio has been the favorite for awhile. New coaching staff things change 

28 minutes ago, ny92mike said:

I'm hoping with this near 3 million in savings we put the money back into the offensive line.

In what way? Any player now will be signed for the vet minimum and wouldn’t move the bottom line. There isn’t a player on our OL that needs a new deal with more money. That’s leads to a trade which are rare in themselves. I don’t see the Giants trading Jones just to trade for another OL. Jones was an expiring contract anyway.

1 minute ago, Acgott said:

In what way? Any player now will be signed for the vet minimum and wouldn’t move the bottom line. There isn’t a player on our OL that needs a new deal with more money. That’s leads to a trade which are rare in themselves. I don’t see the Giants trading Jones just to trade for another OL. Jones was an expiring contract anyway.

Are you saying there isn't a free agent worth bringing in?  My point is that we wasted 3 million by placing the tender on him, when we could of used that money early on and potentially gotten a better guard or improved our depth at right tackle.

3 hours ago, ny92mike said:

Are you saying there isn't a free agent worth bringing in?  My point is that we wasted 3 million by placing the tender on him, when we could of used that money early on and potentially gotten a better guard or improved our depth at right tackle.

You’re complaining about 3 million dollars we gave to someone that was originally going to be our starting center?

36 minutes ago, Acgott said:

You’re complaining about 3 million dollars we gave to someone that was originally going to be our starting center?

what are you talking about?  I feel like you've been doing this for awhile.  I post something and you come trolling me to tell me how wrong I am and now I'm complaining.  It's pretty childish and not becoming of a moderator.  Just because you don't agree with me doesn't make my opinion, complaining, thats dumb.

So he isn't our starter and was traded I don't see this as complaining.  I asked you a question (that you missed) and commented on the front office for tendering a player that they didn't keep.  Money that could of been spent differently....again where is this shadowy complaining you speak of?

31 minutes ago, ny92mike said:

what are you talking about?  I feel like you've been doing this for awhile.  I post something and you come trolling me to tell me how wrong I am and now I'm complaining.  It's pretty childish and not becoming of a moderator.  Just because you don't agree with me doesn't make my opinion, complaining, thats dumb.

So he isn't our starter and was traded I don't see this as complaining.  I asked you a question (that you missed) and commented on the front office for tendering a player that they didn't keep.  Money that could of been spent differently....again where is this shadowy complaining you speak of?

If you have an issue with the way I am responding to your posts, feel free to PM me. It is not personal, I have just happened to disagree with most of ur opinions recently. 

In regards to the thread 

Did you disagree with the use of the tender on Brett Jones? I believe it was absolutely the right call. $3M for who we thought was our C. He lost the starting job. It happens but it’s such a small part of our cap. What was your FA plan for C? This was a good plan to protect us if we didn’t want to re-sign Richburg, which they didn’t.

Im not going to blame the FO over decision I believe was the right one.

Do I wish the Giants did more in FA for the OL? Yes I do. Is Brett Jones the reason it didn’t happen. no he isn’t. This was a low cost  move.

5 hours ago, ny92mike said:

Not much else is going on this board so i'll add my two 2 cents. I do agree it seems like a waste to let him go, can any of the other backups play both center and guard, I don't believe so. As for the 3 million, it was not a waste when we thought he was going to be the starter. However freeing up 3 million now is not going to make that much of a difference in improving the offensive line. Tackles are hard to find and we got two new starting  guards.  The money could possibly go to getting quality help for the 3rd and 4th CB. At worst I think any money not spent this year on the cap can be carried over to next year.

8 hours ago, Acgott said:

If you have an issue with the way I am responding to your posts, feel free to PM me. It is not personal, I have just happened to disagree with most of ur opinions recently. 

In regards to the thread 

Did you disagree with the use of the tender on Brett Jones? I believe it was absolutely the right call. $3M for who we thought was our C. He lost the starting job. It happens but it’s such a small part of our cap. What was your FA plan for C? This was a good plan to protect us if we didn’t want to re-sign Richburg, which they didn’t.

Im not going to blame the FO over decision I believe was the right one.

Do I wish the Giants did more in FA for the OL? Yes I do. Is Brett Jones the reason it didn’t happen. no he isn’t. This was a low cost  move.

I think it is personal but I'll message you about this, because you're right this conversation should be private.

To answer your question, I've been the one saying that the offensive line has been the one position that has needed help for the past few years.  So with the new coaching staff and front office and the talk of the hog mollies being the priority I hoped that Weston would get resigned.  When Brett Jones was given the 2nd round tender I just assumed that "he must be good", good enough to start.  I would have much preferred spending the extra money and kept Richburg.  The front office clearly overvalued Jones as did many.

This front office was brought in to fix the line and this shows me that they missed on center, if Jones is good and just not good enough to crack the lineup then we've given up talent for the cheap.  Time will really tell how destructive this trade is when our depth is needed throughout the season.  When you tender someone you hope that they've done their homework, in that he is worth the 3 million and the roster spot.

The differece in a 2nd round tender and original round is about $1M. Even if we didn’t tender Jones, that $3M is not the difference between signing another player or not. The cap is always manageable. It was a low risk move.

As I said, I think it was a bad decision to trade him as he is at least solid depth.

Upsets happen all the time in camp battles, but to say the FO missed out on C is a huge overstatement at this time.

Archived