C Brett Jones traded for 7th Round Pick from the Vikings

Acgott

19 minutes ago, Acgott said:

The differece in a 2nd round tender and original round is about $1M. Even if we didn’t tender Jones, that $3M is not the difference between signing another player or not. The cap is always manageable. It was a low risk move.

As I said, I think it was a bad decision to trade him as he is at least solid depth.

Upsets happen all the time in camp battles, but to say the FO missed out on C is a huge overstatement at this time.

If you believe it to be a bad decision to trade him then why are you defending it.  

I know the differences in tenders and they put second highest RFA tender on him.  What I'm saying is the office missed on believing that he was the better option over Richburg and traded him for a 7th round pick.  They Put a 2nd round tender on him and got a 7th round pick for him late in the preseason to a team I hear was pretty desperate for a replacement.  So did the Giants trade a player worth more than a 7th or did they overvalue Jones?  Either way, the office made a mistake at a position that was a top priority to get right.

Who replaces Jon Halapio?  UDFA Evan Brown is listed behind him on the depth chart.  Grico perhaps?  

I guess what really gets me is that Richburg was the better option, yes it would have cost more but saving 3 million on the tender would of helped in retaining him.  I still don't believe that the FO did enough this offseason to fix the line and then we trade a 2nd round tender to the Vikings for a 7th round pick. 

59 minutes ago, ny92mike said:

If you believe it to be a bad decision to trade him then why are you defending it.  

I know the differences in tenders and they put second highest RFA tender on him.  What I'm saying is the office missed on believing that he was the better option over Richburg and traded him for a 7th round pick.  They Put a 2nd round tender on him and got a 7th round pick for him late in the preseason to a team I hear was pretty desperate for a replacement.  So did the Giants trade a player worth more than a 7th or did they overvalue Jones?  Either way, the office made a mistake at a position that was a top priority to get right.

Who replaces Jon Halapio?  UDFA Evan Brown is listed behind him on the depth chart.  Grico perhaps?  

I guess what really gets me is that Richburg was the better option, yes it would have cost more but saving 3 million on the tender would of helped in retaining him.  I still don't believe that the FO did enough this offseason to fix the line and then we trade a 2nd round tender to the Vikings for a 7th round pick. 

Agreed. It's also puzzling that we didn't make a stronger play on Fluker. He played well and would've been great depth with versatility to play G or T. While we upgrade the left side, the right side and depth as a whole is a major concern.

5 minutes ago, w4rrior723 said:

Agreed. It's also puzzling that we didn't make a stronger play on Fluker. He played well and would've been great depth with versatility to play G or T. While we upgrade the left side, the right side and depth as a whole is a major concern.

Right...I liked Fluker over John Jerry, mainly because of his versatility.  

I was also hoping for the team use a couple picks to boost the offensive line.  Hernandez wasn't my first choice but he's playing well.   

1 hour ago, ny92mike said:

I'm not defending the trade. I am defending your reasoning against it. I don't think the tender on Jones was the reason why they didn't re-sign Richburg at the C position. The tender was a preventive measure to make sure they didn't lose Jones for nothing. If they did an original round tender, as a UDFA they would have just lost him.

Jon Halapio is our starting C. Greco is the backup.

I agree with you, that the FO didn't do enough for the OL.

If it's what they had to do to free up money to lockdown OBJ then I'm fine with it. I trust DG knows what he's doing when it comes to the hog mollies. Halapio has looked good so far. Feels sort of like a giveaway just only getting a 7th for him though.

25 minutes ago, Acgott said:

I'm not defending the trade. I am defending your reasoning against it. I don't think the tender on Jones was the reason why they didn't re-sign Richburg at the C position. The tender was a preventive measure to make sure they didn't lose Jones for nothing. If they did an original round tender, as a UDFA they would have just lost him.

Jon Halapio is our starting C. Greco is the backup.

I agree with you, that the FO didn't do enough for the OL.

That works for me.  At least you're giving me your reasons for not agreeing with me.  Didn't appreciate you saying I was complaining.

The way I see the Jones tender is that they being the FO either overvalued him or they gave the Vikings a heck of a deal in that trade.  Neither benefited the Giants.

So lets just agree that the FO didn't do enough and that tendering Jones didn't work out for the Giants.

3 minutes ago, ny92mike said:

That works for me.  At least you're giving me your reasons for not agreeing with me.  Didn't appreciate you saying I was complaining.

The way I see the Jones tender is that they being the FO either overvalued him or they gave the Vikings a heck of a deal in that trade.  Neither benefited the Giants.

So lets just agree that the FO didn't do enough and that tendering Jones didn't work out for the Giants.

Complaining was just a word choice. It was more of a disagreement.

I won't argue the semantics if tendering Jones was the right decision anymore lol.

Just now, Acgott said:

Complaining was just a word choice. It was more of a disagreement.

I won't argue the semantics if tendering Jones was the right decision anymore lol.

We cool?

The complaining thing strikes a cord from the ffmd days.  It was their word of choice to combat members that they didn't agree with.

I love debating and if it gets heated that's fine, but calling it complaining kills the debate.

19 minutes ago, ny92mike said:

We cool?

The complaining thing strikes a cord from the ffmd days.  It was their word of choice to combat members that they didn't agree with.

I love debating and if it gets heated that's fine, but calling it complaining kills the debate.

That's fine. I will avoid using that in the future. I am good.

• 4 weeks later...
21 hours ago, Acgott said:

He didn’t fit what the team wanted. Power not finese.

But it was always a bad decision to trade him

If he didn't fit then why was he tendered?  Nevermind.

This offensive line is getting bad.  Our left tackle ins't playing up to expectations.  The rookie looked like a rookie last week, the center is out with a broken leg and the backup, clearly wasn't ready to start..  At this point the only bright spot is E. Flowers, sad to say.

Let's hope that they get it together this week.

11 hours ago, ny92mike said:

If he didn't fit then why was he tendered?  Nevermind.

This offensive line is getting bad.  Our left tackle ins't playing up to expectations.  The rookie looked like a rookie last week, the center is out with a broken leg and the backup, clearly wasn't ready to start..  At this point the only bright spot is E. Flowers, sad to say.

Let's hope that they get it together this week.

Solder is fine and Hernandez has made some rookie mental mistakes, but looked really good in week 2. Halapio was probably the most consistent the first 2 weeks, but I don't think there will be a drop off from him to Greco. Greco is a really solid vet who everyone thinks highly of. The problem is the right side of the line. Omameh is garbage in every facet. Flowers performed ok on Sunday night, but looked like he always does. Lawrence would have wiped the floor with him if he was healthy, but he was obviously hurting. The biggest issue though is when those two have to communicate. Just like Jerry and Flowers last year, Omameh and Flowers can't seem to pick up a basic stunt. The Cowboys had some really creative stunts they were running that were effective that just plain beat us, but even the basic ones have those 2 struggling. It's made worse by the fact that they are both bad. Solder and Hernandez are athletic/talented enough to recover from things like that. 

You'll see improvement this week and for weeks to come. There were a lot of blown assignments that led to pressures and most of those pressures led to sacks, which is somewhat on Eli. Look at @veteranscout on twitter. He posted some real nice plays that Hernandez made that are overshadowed by the blown assignment. It wasn't just those 5 guys though: Engram and Ellison got bullied on a couple plays and Shane Smith had arguably the biggest blown assignment. It was so bad, it got him cut. I'm not 100% sure, but I suspect Stewart missed his assignment in pass protection one play too. Went inside too early and no one accounted for the outside most rusher. I think the OL will get there. Hopefully when they do, Eli steps up his game too. Even when he had a pocket, he was scared. 

Archived