2018 53-Man Roster Projections and Discussion

Broncofan

34 minutes ago, lomaxgrUK said:

https://predominantlyorange.com/2017/12/19/broncos-promote-michael-hunter-protecting-going-elsewhere/

I know Elway has done this multiple times, but I can't find other examples (it's a tough thing to google for). Every team does it, especially at the back end of the year when teams who are out of contention with guys on IR start to look further afield.

Of course it will likely depend on how the season pans out. If we're in contention near the end of the season with our 4 OLB's healthy then we aren't likely to promote Holland if it's at the detriment of our ST unit. I don't think letting a UDFA, who didn't really flash much at all in preseason, leave is really a reason to bag on Elway especially when how bad our ST unit performed last year was the talk of this forum every week.

I really think people are overestimating Jeff Holland's standing around the league. When guys go down early in the season, teams want veterans who have NFL scheme experience to come in; not a UDFA with zero NFL snap experience. 

Elway's record of drafting has been poor of late, of that there is no doubt. But who has he cut (note, cut rather than fail to re-sign) that you regret us cutting? Especially young players

Yeah that's entirely fair - my concern is actually that rebuilders will look to stash guys a lot sooner for 2019+ than Elway will be willing to give up on the season.   As you said, Elway's not going to turn his back on 2018 this early (nor should he), even if the most likely probability is a 7-9/8-8 season.  I don't worry at all about contenders wanting Holland - I worry about rebuilders looking to 2019 a lot sooner than true contenders, or teams undecided (us).   If it's by Nov/Dec, by then Elway should be activating Holland if we aren't in contention, wouldn't be a hard decision (in fact, by then we'd have an extra year of service time gained, too, if you only activate a guy for 6 or fewer weeks).   Of course, rebuilders know this and often make earlier claims than when teams are willing to make future-stash blocks.   Drafted rookies should be seen as year 2+ ETA guys, anyways.   I don't doubt the stock for Week 1 on Holland is low - it's the stock as 2019 planning for rebuilders starts where the 2nd threat after passing through waivers appears, and why I've pointed out the PS decision isn't one whose outcome is told in early September, but by year's end.

The other factor to above is that our 2018 season is also set up for us to get off to a fast start - Weeks 1-4 are SEA, OAK, @BAL and KC, so 3 home games, and SEA, OAK, a young Mahomes facing us at home, we could easily be 3-1 - I think we'll be home favorites for all 3.  Then week 5 @NYJ.    Even though I think we're a 7-9/8-8 team, I can easily see a 4-1 start.  After the first 5 games though - @ARI, CLE are the only 2 games I think we'll be obvious favorites (and CLE only because we're at home).   @CIN, HOU & @SF will be toss up games, but wouldn't surprise me to see us as dogs.   2018's schedule has us set up to get to a fast start - that's just a setup where Elway's going to be less inclined to do future stashes if faced with a roster crunch if a claim gets made halfway through the season (than if we were 2-5 or 2-6).   

Either way, though, we just have to wait and see.   If Elway makes the call and keeps Holland if a callup occurs, or if Holland makes it through all the way to Week 12 before being activated, (because by then, they gain the extra year of service time, which is the one angle that would be awesome, just seems very unlikely) like I said, I take away all criticism levelled there.  Just that when you look at how our schedule sets up, like you said, how the season goes will influence Elway's thinking - why I really hoped Holland would be stashed, so win-now vs. 2019 wouldn't influence Elway (and really when it's your 5th EDGE vs. 6th ILB vs. 3rdQB, win-now is such an illusion).  And don't mistake this as me saying I know Holland is a lock - he's not (the tools and ceiling are there, but we've seen guys wash out too despite this, or injuries kill careers -  Quanterrus Smith, Exhibit A).  But he's also clearly our 2019 3rd EDGE pre-draft - and given how cap-strapped we'll be, and the ideal situation where we don't reach for need ahead of BPA early on, well, you get why I think Holland is a guy we can't afford to even risk losing for 2019 (at least, not vs. 3rd QB or 6th ILB).

P.S. - re: ST's - I think the actual market inefficiency is that DB's will become more predominant in good ST play (or hybrid LB/S's).  Speed is going to be so important with no ability to get a running start for the cover team, and more blockers who have to be close to the LOS on blocking. 

So.....time for a GD thread?   While I think we're headed for a 8-8 season, I like our September schedule.   Whoever is up as per old rules - plan on keep going as long as we win.   I actually think the odds are pretty good there.  Who's up?

So the jersey # changes are in - those who bought Jewell #47 after Draft Day - you're in luck; he has it back.

Lindsay gets.....#30.   LOL no fear good for him.

Freeman gets....#28.  He'll be miles better than JC was for us last year by....just a little bit.  O.o

D-Williams gets....#33.

Pacman gets.....#24 (Champ said OK).

PS S Trey Marshall gets #36, and 3rd QB Kevin Hogan gets #9.  May we never see #36 or #9 on the field this year.

13 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

I really value your opinion in this forum - it's clear you know your Football. That said, you're just being stubborn here. Elway has clearly been vindicated with the decision to put Holland through waivers. You mention that anyone can put him on their 53 throughout the season, but fail to mention that the Broncos will have the chance to promote Holland to the 53 should anyone try to steal him. 

This means that we can, for the foreseeable future, work with Holland in practice to improve him whilst also having (in the opinion of our Coaches) superior ST play from Bierra and/or Joe Jones on gameday. It's the definition of a win-win. 

Re: Hogan - I really don't like a raw statistical comparison. It just doesn't work in limited game time. The reason we all know Paxton isn't good enough to play in the NFL isn't based off his stats - it's everything you can see with your eyes that has lead to the stats. No pocket feel, no concept of going through progressions, awful pre-snap recognition, etc. Hogan is our 3rd QB and will likely be a poor one should he ever see the field. However, if he has even any ounce of onfield NFL QB intangibles then he's got a leg up on Paxton. Heck - Hogan ripped our backup D to pieces a couple of weeks ago, which is something Paxton has failed to do in a single practice this offseason ...

Of all the things to rag on our FO for (of which there are a fair few), the decision to swap Paxton for Hogan ain't one.

Add in AJ Johnson. from what I've heard he and the two you mentioned are possible/probable ST starters while Holland is not.

I'm with you, I don't foresee a line forming to add Holland to anyones 53. Actually, anyone's PS for that matter. When he was waived he was once again a UDFA, able to sign with any team. He didn't, choosing to be here. I'm guessing his phone didn't ring off the hook with PS offers.

1 hour ago, Broncofan said:

So the jersey # changes are in - those who bought Jewell #47 after Draft Day - you're in luck; he has it back.

Lindsay gets.....#30.   LOL no fear good for him.

Freeman gets....#28.  He'll be miles better than JC was for us last year by....just a little bit.  O.o

D-Williams gets....#33.

Pacman gets.....#24 (Champ said OK).

PS S Trey Marshall gets #36, and 3rd QB Kevin Hogan gets #9.  May we never see #36 or #9 on the field this year.

The young lady with the 37 Freeman Jersey I saw in Downtown Denver a couple of weeks ago is going to be a bit disappointed.

30 minutes ago, Counselor said:

The young lady with the 37 Freeman Jersey I saw in Downtown Denver a couple of weeks ago is going to be a bit disappointed.

DEN FO could make a PR killing if they offered full exchange for rookies.     It’s not like the teams are hurting for $.   But yeah hard lesson learned otherwise.  

1 hour ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Team captains were announced today. 

Case and Paradis named as offensive captains, Von and Todd David defensive captains and McManus and Jano as ST captains.

So, any info on how the Paradis extension talks are going?

1 hour ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Team captains were announced today. 

Case and Paradis named as offensive captains, Von and Todd David defensive captains and McManus and Jano as ST captains.

Who were the captions last year? Davis kind of surprises me a bit. 

1 hour ago, AKRNA said:

So, any info on how the Paradis extension talks are going?

I haven't heard. I know they're working on it, Elway said as much and it's been leaked out all over the place. I'm sure it's one of those things that's been put on the back-burner until we got done with camp and roster cuts and all that stuff. I'd expect to hear it's a done deal before Halloween. 

15 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

I haven't heard. I know they're working on it, Elway said as much and it's been leaked out all over the place. I'm sure it's one of those things that's been put on the back-burner until we got done with camp and roster cuts and all that stuff. I'd expect to hear it's a done deal before Halloween. 

That'd be great.

Archived