2018 53-Man Roster Projections and Discussion

Broncofan

3 hours ago, Broncofan said:

Siemian and DT on O, McManus on ST & Von/Talib on D. 

A QB whose play commands no respect, a guy who never talks, a goofball and a total wild card. Hard to imagine how that locker room blows up. 

EDIT: Whoops, forgot the kicker. Who had a crap season and is a kicker. 

10 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

A QB whose play commands no respect, a guy who never talks, a goofball and a total wild card. Hard to imagine how that locker room blows up. 

EDIT: Whoops, forgot the kicker. Who had a crap season and is a kicker. 

In the end it all came down to Siemian sucking.  Talib quitting in the PHI & WAS games in the 2H were awful looks on making him captain.  It’s not who he is.  That’s more on Elway and VJ.   Either way the C choices didn’t look good at all.  

The one really questionable choice this year is Davis.   Not due to character but he’s liable to get exposed for big plays.  That’s not a good spot to put your C in.  Your C doesn’t have to be your best player but hopefully he’s not the guy getting burned.  

14 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

In the end it all came down to Siemian sucking.  Talib quitting in the PHI & WAS games in the 2H were awful looks on making him captain.  It’s not who he is.  That’s more on Elway and VJ.  

The one really questionable choice this year is Davis.   Not character but he’s liable to get exposed for big plays.  That’s not a good spot to put your C in. 

Last year's mess notwithstanding, it doesn't actually make sense to debate the merits of an honor voted on by players who work together every day. We don't know any of these guys personally. My interpretation of last year's group is the players tried to force a leadership role onto Siemian, voted for Von and DT out of respect for their greatness and Talib was just loved by most players. That was their thinking and those guys earned it democratically. Kinda silly to think fans are in any position to decide who the players should want to respect. It is what it is. 

23 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

In the end it all came down to Siemian sucking.  Talib quitting in the PHI & WAS games in the 2H were awful looks on making him captain.  It’s not who he is.  That’s more on Elway and VJ.   Either way the C choices didn’t look good at all.  

The one really questionable choice this year is Davis.   Not due to character but he’s liable to get exposed for big plays.  That’s not a good spot to put your C in.  Your C doesn’t have to be your best player but hopefully he’s not the guy getting burned.  

Yeah we've discussed it before but I'm literally not mad at all the defense quit on the team last year. I was kinda happy about it honestly lol. Year three of complete incompetence by the offense. Hopefully we are back this year!!!! 

18 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

Last year's mess notwithstanding, it doesn't actually make sense to debate the merits of an honor voted on by players who work together every day. We don't know any of these guys personally. My interpretation of last year's group is the players tried to force a leadership role onto Siemian, voted for Von and DT out of respect for their greatness and Talib was just loved by most players. That was their thinking and those guys earned it democratically. Kinda silly to think fans are in any position to decide who the players should want to respect. It is what it is. 

Don’t get me wrong I don’t think anyone but the players or coaches should decide who captain is.  I mean that’s the way it went down when we were kids and young adults and the way it should be.  

Just it’s tough if the captain is the guy who gets burned the most.  Or the guy who quits in the 2H.   It certainly won’t make or break our season who gets chosen.  Talent and coaching matter 1000x more (injuries being the one part no one can control). 

15 minutes ago, champ11 said:

Yeah we've discussed it before but I'm literally not mad at all the defense quit on the team last year. I was kinda happy about it honestly lol. Year three of complete incompetence by the offense. Hopefully we are back this year!!!! 

Yeah I sympathize with the D last year.  It’s just hard when the supposed leaders call it a day.   Again I wasn’t mad at Talib last year nor now.  I think he will thrive in Wade’s D; more a question when age related decline will hit on why we needed to cut bait given we aren’t realistic contenders.  His actions last year didn’t factor into the need to part ways for me.   It’s just that the C type isn’t who Talib is.  

The BSN podcast mentioned this, but I've had this thought before and talked about it on our pod last year....why has no organization taken their fullback at the end of a season and said that they will pay them 1m more per year to learn how to long snap? Maybe it takes two offseasons to get down. But it's pretty wild that LS is just a lock as a roster spot. I understand the importance, but it seems like something that can be learned. 

6 minutes ago, champ11 said:

The BSN podcast mentioned this, but I've had this thought before and talked about it on our pod last year....why has no organization taken their fullback at the end of a season and said that they will pay them 1m more per year to learn how to long snap? Maybe it takes two offseasons to get down. But it's pretty wild that LS is just a lock as a roster spot. I understand the importance, but it seems like something that can be learned. 

Not sure you'd even need to pay them more - most fullbacks are roster bubble guys anyway. A fullback that can longsnap is a no brainer lock to make the team

50 minutes ago, champ11 said:

That's a fantastic idea champ11! I think Janovich is already on that ST though. Still, it'd allow us to add another ST demon to the unit.

I like it! 

1 hour ago, champ11 said:

I never got why they don't do that it seems like such a stupid thing to waste a roster spot. Although they are important I remember the year Pittsburgh lost 3 of them and it derailed their season.

1 hour ago, champ11 said:

Agree it’s a great way to use the FB.  I think the main reason they don’t do it was the risk the LS gets hurt while playing FB.  Then ST’s are screwed it’s pretty comical when a bad LS takes the field.   Even then you wonder why they don’t teach 2 guys to do it (FB, 3rd TE). 

FYI under the old rules the LS could get blasted if the other team wanted to punish the other.   That’s not the case for the last 3-4 years IIRC.   You wonder if teams were worried about the risk both ways before - LS injury hurts a team who only has 1 FB.   Nowadays the risk is really only positional injury removing the LS.  Which training 2 guys would address.  

15 hours ago, champ11 said:

BSN is trash. Like literally I don't understand why people follow their coverage. As to this idea, I don't hate it, but it's not great. Fullbacks are battering rams, minor tweaks to a shoulder, knee, ankle whatever and your ST are screwed. 

Just now, MakeDenverGreatAgain said:

BSN is trash. Like literally I don't understand why people follow their coverage. As to this idea, I don't hate it, but it's not great. Fullbacks are battering rams, minor tweaks to a shoulder, knee, ankle whatever and your ST are screwed. 

For the idea to work you’d need 2 guys ready for sure.  Like the last ILB who dresses.  

Archived