2018 53-Man Roster Projections and Discussion

Broncofan

2 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

Is it possible lynch could of been traded and it wasn't reported yet because it would suck to not get anything.  A late round pick after his lasr performance was warranted I thought.  1 fourth of the leagues backup qbs are former browns like come on.

Stanford connection possibly

4 hours ago, BroncoBruin said:

Neither the 6th ILB or 5th EDGE would ever be active on game days ideally. They've demonstrated how much they like AJ Johnson so I get stashing him. But with Bierria vs. Holland, you're betting on Bierria as a long term prospect over Holland. I mean, I guess it re-enforces what they did in the draft, but it seems short-sighted to me. You have Jewell and AJ Johnson as future ILB prospects. At OLB, good chance Barrett and Ray are both gone and the team will need not one but two replacement depth pieces next year.

Bottom line, picking the dime-a-dozen rookie at a dime-a-dozen position with diminishing value every year which already has future prospects in place, over Holland, makes no sense to me. 

Every point above succinctly made hits the nail on the head.  

Now to realize we also did this to get Kevin Hogan on the 53 man roster.   I mean duuuuuudes.   

There are no words.  

It is nice to see Elway swallow his pride and cut ties with recent Day 1 and Day 2 failures. Has to be a philosophy change now that they can't pretend this is a contender. His draft picks through early Day 3 were like scholarships for a long time no matter how awful the player. 

On the other hand, it's been interesting seeing some of the 2015 guys we couldn't wait to get rid of stick around. I thought Garcia and Heuerman were goners, but it seems to some degree the light bulb went off for both of them and both had nice offseason. 

So it sounds like Paxton is/has been cut which is fair enough. Should have happened. 

But now we learn this is due to claiming Kevin Hogan off waivers. 

So the only reason we cut Paxton is so we can bring in another QB who's actually got WORSE stats than Paxton!

Seriously. I wanna know how this Front Office evaluates QB's. Elway was a damn good one but yet he doesn't seem to have the ability to pick one to lead the team.*

(*Keenum pending) 

6 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

It is nice to see Elway swallow his pride and cut ties with recent Day 1 and Day 2 failures. Has to be a philosophy change now that they can't pretend this is a contender. His draft picks through early Day 3 were like scholarships for a long time no matter how awful the player. 

On the other hand, it's been interesting seeing some of the 2015 guys we couldn't wait to get rid of stick around. I thought Garcia and Heuerman were goners, but it seems to some degree the light bulb went off for both of them and both had nice offseason. 

Huermann the injuries killed him.   I would have popped G Lae’l Collins from draft day there (remember his agent said draft me Day 2 or don’t bother he will re-enter draft the next year so Rd3 end/comp was a perfect slot).   But injuries can’t be predicted.  So Huermann needing more time isn’t that surprising.

On the other hand I hope Garcia is better but that’s more unexpected given the lack of development so far.  He better be as advertised in his improvement as he’s literally our backup C/G.   Next man up inside.  The scary part is the same staff think Billy Turner is a capable backup T.  Maybe they’ve done an amazing job coaching both up.   Just if they haven’t the track record isn’t bad with both it’s downright ugly.  

Just now, Broncofan said:

Huermann the injuries killed him.   I would have popped G Lae’l Collins from draft day there (remember his agent said draft me Day 2 or don’t bother he will re-enter draft the next year so Rd3 end/comp was a perfect slot).   But injuries can’t be predicted.  

I hope Garcia is better.   He’s literally our backup C/G.   The scary part is the same staff think Billy Turner is a capable backup T.  Maybe they’ve done an amazing job coaching both up.   Just if they haven’t the track record isn’t bad with both it’s downright ugly.  

Garcia was a weird case because he seemed to regress every year. As a rookie, he looked fairly promising when he'd rotate in for Mathis. Then the pass protection issues just seemed to become more and more of a problem. If Garcia can become a competent rotational guy who doesn't kill you in pass pro, nothing could speak more to Sean Kugler's coaching ability. 

By the way, and this speaks to Elway's increased investment in the offensive line since 2016, in his first two years Garcia was nicknamed "The Future" by his teammates and was viewed as the most exciting OL prospect on the team. A guy who probably didn't assure himself a roster spot this year until Menelik's 500th injury. It seems to have mostly gone unnoticed with the fanbase's obsession with 3rd string QBs and the comedy of errors at the position last year, but Elway has done a nice job making moves to improve the OL. 

Next year, they need to find a long term RT and invest in some depth. 

Just now, BroncoBruin said:

By the way, and this speaks to Elway's increased investment in the offensive line since 2016, in his first two years Garcia was nicknamed "The Future" by his teammates and was viewed as the most exciting OL prospect on the team. A guy who probably didn't assure himself a roster spot this year until Menelik's 500th injury. It seems to have mostly gone unnoticed with the fanbase's obsession with 3rd string QBs and the comedy of errors at the position last year, but Elway has done a nice job making moves to improve the OL. 

Next year, they need to find a long term RT and invest in some depth. 

Agreed. 

I'm very optimistic about the O-Line. D-line too.

And he brought in a top punter, so he's not all bad. 

32 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

Garcia was a weird case because he seemed to regress every year. As a rookie, he looked fairly promising when he'd rotate in for Mathis. Then the pass protection issues just seemed to become more and more of a problem. If Garcia can become a competent rotational guy who doesn't kill you in pass pro, nothing could speak more to Sean Kugler's coaching ability. 

Yeah Kugler deserves the benefit of the doubt being it’s year 1.  It’s just downright scary to see Garcia as top C/G backup and Turner as top T backup.   I was hoping they’d keep Wilkinson because the tools are there he’s just so raw.   If both are serviceable to capable backups that’s a big feather in his cap.

We need to hit on 2 T (depth matters) and 2 interior OL this year and next from the draft / UDFA / cheap FA pool for our top 7-8 given our cap struggles.   Kugler might be just as (if not more) important than Musgrave to our team’s future.  

46 minutes ago, PFM18 said:

Agreed. 

I'm very optimistic about the O-Line. D-line too.

And he brought in a top punter, so he's not all bad. 

Yeah, it shouldn't be lost in all the criticism that Elway is a good GM. It's just been a comedown since those first two drafts, UDFA success and all the free agent signings. It's been easier for him to build than maintain, which is kind of how the NFL designs the whole thing. 

6 minutes ago, iLikeDefense said:

Ppl be trippin’ these last 24 hours.. Elway is back to being the goat on MHR.

The issue is how long Holland can be kept there - he can be claimed off it by anyone who wants to put him on their 53-man roster throughout the entire 2018 season.     That's why the decision to keep 3rd QB (and to a lesser extent, a 6th ILB) over him (and in 3rd QB's case, pretty much anyone who has a potential future impact on our team who got cut) is so iffy.    The decision-making process can be completely flawed, even with an OK result now (which isn't the full story, it's what happens rest of year) it doesn't change the concern (just like how a bad result with a good process behind it doesn't tell the tale, either).

Archived