2018 53-Man Roster Projections and Discussion

Broncofan

33 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

I wouldn't be surprised if our backup OL guys are replaced with final cuts from other teams.

In the case of Turner, god I hope you're right.  He wasn't even good as a backup G, and now he's our backup RT?  Scary. 

Wilkinson/Kouandjio at least have some potential...just not likely ready (and may never be)...but Turner, we know what he is...or isn't.

Jeff Holland is gonna be the cut we all shake our heads at this year. 

I just don't see it. Elway has to be aware that both Ray and Shaq are likely to walk for the $$$ this offseason. We need cheap rotational EDGE backups, and Holland is our only hope for that at this point. We also generally carry more than 4 EDGE guys.

I also think its worth noting that Holland is only 20 years old. He may be the youngest player in the league. Age matters less in the NFL than NBA, but its always a plus. At that age he could easily develop more physically.

22 minutes ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

I just don't see it. Elway has to be aware that both Ray and Shaq are likely to walk for the $$$ this offseason. We need cheap rotational EDGE backups, and Holland is our only hope for that at this point. We also generally carry more than 4 EDGE guys.

I also think its worth noting that Holland is only 20 years old. He may be the youngest player in the league. Age matters less in the NFL than NBA, but its always a plus. At that age he could easily develop more physically.

Yeah I think Holland's value is the reason we keep hearing Ray's name in trade rumors. A cheap young Holland is more valuable than a soon-to-be expensive mid-career Shane Ray

9 minutes ago, bMiller031 said:

Yeah I think Holland's value is the reason we keep hearing Ray's name in trade rumors. A cheap young Holland is more valuable than a soon-to-be expensive mid-career Shane Ray

I would cut Ray and keep Holland.  Ray is as good as gone. 

35 minutes ago, bMiller031 said:

Definitely not. He's still a valuable piece. We'd trade him or keep him before we cut him. 

Valuable when?  He is valuable if he can be traded.  However, he bolts next season anyway....would you want to lose Holland because you try to stash him on the PS?  Or, do you cut your losses with Ray and keep Holland on.  Plus, when will Ray get hurt?  My guess is week 5.  

3 minutes ago, jsthomp2007 said:

Valuable when?  He is valuable if he can be traded.  However, he bolts next season anyway....would you want to lose Holland because you try to stash him on the PS?  Or, do you cut your losses with Ray and keep Holland on.  Plus, when will Ray get hurt?  My guess is week 5.  

Ray is still a valuable piece as a player this season. You keep 5 EDGE guys before you cut either Holland or Ray, imo. Trading Ray for 80-100 cents/dollar  is best case scenario.  

There are 10 guys you can cut who won’t make nearly as much impact as a healthy Ray does.   Cutting him is a ridiculous notion.  And I’m a guy who seems him as good as gone after 2018. Holland isn’t a lock to be a star - but he clearly has the potential to be a difference maker and in 2019 he literally is no worse than the #3 EDGE predraft.   Again if Jamal Carter was worth stashing for the future Holland is IMO 10x easier call .  

If we cut Holland to try for a PS stash we will regret it.  No way he stays on the whole year; I think it’s 80-20 he gets claimed outright.   This isn’t Sloter V2 where it came out of the blue a priority UDFA that required the highest bonus to snag.  And teams know we are loaded at EDGE so getting cut just a numbers game.  But even if he doesn’t get claimed being able to keep him there I just don’t see at all.  

Elway don’t do it.   Cut Lynch.  Cut the 9th OL.   Cut the 4th RB (Henderson) or 6th WR.   Even Dymon Thomas (but ideally I want both).  There are options.  Any Holland cut there are 2-3 guys we will be going “SMH” later.  

QB: Keenum, Kelly, Lynch/Veteran FA QB

RB: Booker, Freeman, Lindsay

FB: Janovich

WR: Thomas, Sutton, Patrick

WR: Sanders, Hamilton, McKenzie

TE: Heuerman, Butt, Traylor

OL: Bolles, Leary, Paradis, McGovern, Veldheer, Garcia, Kouandjio, Turner

DL: Wolfe, Peko, Gotsis, Walker, Kerr, Harris

OLB: Miller, Chubb, Barrett, Ray, Holland

ILB: Davis, Marshall, Jewell, Johnson

CB: Harris, Roby, Brock, Jones, Yiadom, Langley

S: Simmons, Stewart, Cravens, Parks, Thomas

K: McManus

P: King

LS: Kreiter 

Basically I had this coming down to DeAngelo Henderson and Dymonte Thomas.  Safeties that can come down in the box and cover are just more valuable and Thomas looked quite good in that role.  Factor in Cravens and Parks have both been banged up and safety depth is a concern.  Denver can stash a couple RBs on the PS or sign a veteran mid season (veteran RBs are a dime a dozen) if the need for more depth arises.

13 minutes ago, germ-x said:

QB: Keenum, Kelly, Lynch/Veteran FA QB

RB: Booker, Freeman, Lindsay

FB: Janovich

WR: Thomas, Sutton, Patrick

WR: Sanders, Hamilton, McKenzie

TE: Heuerman, Butt, Traylor

OL: Bolles, Leary, Paradis, McGovern, Veldheer, Garcia, Kouandjio, Turner

DL: Wolfe, Peko, Gotsis, Walker, Kerr, Harris

OLB: Miller, Chubb, Barrett, Ray, Holland

ILB: Davis, Marshall, Jewell, Johnson

CB: Harris, Roby, Brock, Jones, Yiadom, Langley

S: Simmons, Stewart, Cravens, Parks, Thomas

K: McManus

P: King

LS: Kreiter 

Basically I had this coming down to DeAngelo Henderson and Dymonte Thomas.  Safeties that can come down in the box and cover are just more valuable and Thomas looked quite good in that role.  Factor in Cravens and Parks have both been banged up and safety depth is a concern.  Denver can stash a couple RBs on the PS or sign a veteran mid season (veteran RBs are a dime a dozen) if the need for more depth arises.

I'd petty much agree with all of this, though I disagree on your last part. I think it's Brenden Langley that gets cut and DeAngelo Henderson makes the team. 

39 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

I'd petty much agree with all of this, though I disagree on your last part. I think it's Brenden Langley that gets cut and DeAngelo Henderson makes the team. 

Langley might get the nod just because he's a better special teams guy. 

Archived