Marcus Davenport Film Review

Dome

By Deuce Windham. I’m not affiliated with his guy in any way, but if you’re not subscribed to his channel, you should be. He’s purely Saints film review/discussion and college football scouting 

I’ll admit Davenports first game eased my mind a lot about where he is and how much of a project he will be. He looks like he can come in immediately and make some plays for us as is.

He’s got nowhere to go but up and has more potential than anyone else on our team. I’m very excited s 

• 1 month later...

So who here is going back and looking at Davenport in replays and highlights? Have any of you seen Brian Baldinger's film breakdowns on Twitter? He did one the other day on Davenport from monday's game...my goodness. I'm starting to think we didn't give up enough to go up and get him. This kid's game is straight nasty. NASTY. Has an amazing blend of speed, lateral agility, and strength. I just watched him 1-arming Trent Williams at one point to maintain position to shed and go after the RB...which he did for a 3 yard loss. This kid already looks game ready and the shocking thing is he is still developing his game for the pro level. This kid is going to be scary for a long time.

29 minutes ago, navysaintsfan said:

So who here is going back and looking at Davenport in replays and highlights? Have any of you seen Brian Baldinger's film breakdowns on Twitter? He did one the other day on Davenport from monday's game...my goodness. I'm starting to think we didn't give up enough to go up and get him. This kid's game is straight nasty. NASTY. Has an amazing blend of speed, lateral agility, and strength. I just watched him 1-arming Trent Williams at one point to maintain position to shed and go after the RB...which he did for a 3 yard loss. This kid already looks game ready and the shocking thing is he is still developing his game for the pro level. This kid is going to be scary for a long time.

Thanks for the bump. This guy just dropped a new video today.

^^This guy drives me nuts. Pretty good analysis, but he takes 11 minutes to show us 2 plays (well, 9 minutes because he pimps his other breakdowns for 2 minutes).

Davenport is showing something we haven't seen in years. This is getting good!

Davenport continues to flash... Key for him is to be consistent play to play. Hes getting there and hes much better at setting the edge than I thought hed be. I really dont want to get ahead of myself but if he keeps trending upwards the Saints coukd very well have another dominate dual edge defender on their hands.

22 hours ago, whodatworm23 said:

Davenport continues to flash... Key for him is to be consistent play to play. Hes getting there and hes much better at setting the edge than I thought hed be. I really dont want to get ahead of myself but if he keeps trending upwards the Saints coukd very well have another dominate dual edge defender on their hands.

Really hope so. If Davenport turns out to be the real deal, the real winner in this may be Rankins. Getting after the QB will do wonders for helping mask some of the deficiencies in the secondary as well.

It might be premature to say it, but if Davenport continues to stay at this level and Smith keeps getting more involved that would be 3 great drafts in a row! 

Obviously 2017 was the best, but would 2016 or 2018 be better?

37 minutes ago, ckoz24 said:

It might be premature to say it, but if Davenport continues to stay at this level and Smith keeps getting more involved that would be 3 great drafts in a row! 

Obviously 2017 was the best, but would 2016 or 2018 be better?

Davenport will have to be great to justify what we gave up IMO.  But, I think he can be great.  And if he contributes to a deep playoff run this year, the trade was worth it.

12 hours ago, Jlowe22 said:

Davenport will have to be great to justify what we gave up IMO.  But, I think he can be great.  And if he contributes to a deep playoff run this year, the trade was worth it.

Let's pretend that nobody knows the "price" that was paid for any of our players. Now how do we feel about who was selected?

Smith played really well (timing is getting there). Meredith played really well (I know, not our draft, just part of the conversation) now that he's healthy, and he's getting his timing down with Brees. These two are going to open up the passing game big time. Who do defenses cover? You can't double everyone, and double is what it will take to shut them down.

Davenport's emergence, and Jordan's impressive play (that we take for granted) helped open things up for Rankins, and I think that will have a reciprocal effect on Davenport.

Our secondary is still crap, but if that front 4 or 7 plays like it has in the last 2 games, or better, this team is going to be scary good. 

Boston Scott still needs reps. I think we're missing something by having him on the PS.

Will Clapp - time will tell. As long as Unger is healthy, this guy will ride the pine.

And of course, like any team, we wiffed on 3 other picks (Rick Leonard (Rams), Natrell Jamerson (Texans), and Kamrin Moore (Giants)). It happens.

So 2 good players that are coming into their own, and 2 more that we still have that are just waiting for their chance. Not too bad.

Archived