The Elephant In the Room: Austin Corbett is Not an Impact OT/OG He's an OC

Mind Character

2 hours ago, Rod Johnson said:

You're overthinking this.

Make Desmond Harrison our starting LT because you think Corbett isn't good at guard?

No thanks.

Which combo is better:

1) LT Bitonio; OG Corbett

2) LT Harrison; LG Bitonio...

I just happen to think the latter is better b/c of what I've seen out of Harrison and how the coaching staff thinks of him...

It's an interesting convo...

1 minute ago, Mind Character said:

Which combo is better:

I just happen to think the latter is better b/c of what I've seen out of Harrison and how the coaching staff thinks of him...

Right now?  I’ll take the former.  Corbett is more experienced and playing an easier position. Bitonio imo is good enough to play either spot well.

In a year or two I could see Harrison, Bitonio and Corbett all starting.

I've said it before that I think Corbett will eventually move over to center, although that partly depends on how he does this year at guard. Tretter is average at best at center, but is fine for this year. I think the team wants to give Harrison a year as a backup before pushing him as a starter possibly next year. Either that or they'll spend a high draft pick on a LT, unless Bitonio plays really well at LT.

Just now, Mind Character said:

Which combo is better:

Bit and Corb is the better combo

harrison hasn’t shown anything this preseason that he could be a legit starting LT as a rookie. Corb at least has shown he could be a starter. 

So what is better. A bad rookie LT and a great LG or an Above avg LT and an average rookie LG?

give me the option that gives the better LT. LG is the easiest position literally on the entire football field. Not counting special teams

5 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

Which combo is better:

Like others have said, I think right now Bitonio and Corbett is a better option. Next year? It's definitely possible that Harrison and Bitonio is a better combination, with Corbett at center.

18 minutes ago, Fatgerman said:

Joe also said that Corbett had surprisingly good feet and predicted he may become the right tackle. So, no.

Very selective you are. When applying quotes that is. Bam, you been Yoda'd!

Heavy feet OL are typically pushed to RT before they are pushed inside...

Joe also has elaborated elsewhere that he thinks Bitonio's a better fit at guard or center than tackle...

"I think he's very well-suited for guard, for center, but he's not really tall or lanky. He's not a basketball player. I think typically you want your tackles to be kind of former basketball players."

"[This is based on] his skill set," Thomas said. "Austin, God bless him, is not a tackle. He does not have the speed that you need to be able to block edge rushers. He does [have heavy feet].

Those edge rushers Joe's talking about aren't exclusive to the Left side...

There's a reason why Joe and more emphatically Alonzo Highsmith bring up Center...

But I'd be willing to bet if I went to Joe and watched the preseason film with him, he'd say maybe we should move him to Center where he can operate in a phone booth...

I could be wrong .. but the point was ... even Joe understood he had heavy and slow feet... and is likely a better fit on the inside...

I believe he predicted RT b/c he figured that's where they would try him next.. not

Just now, DawgX said:

Like others have said, I think right now Bitonio and Corbett is a better option RIGHT NOW. Next year? It's definitely possible that Harrison and Bitonio is a better combination, with Corbett at center.

You're probably right on the distinction between now and some time in the future... as it does mean something that Corbett has seen full game reps in multiple preseason games against the 1s of the opposing team's defense... Harrison has not seen that level of competition.. only the 2s and 3s.....hopefully he can get up to speed

5 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Right now?  I’ll take the former.  Corbett is more experienced and playing an easier position. Bitonio imo is good enough to play either spot well.

In a year or two I could see Harrison, Bitonio and Corbett all starting.

Yeah... and as I said to @DawgX , Harrison hasn't gone against the 1s while Bitonio has with multiple reps...

I do wonder if at some point we will come to appreciate JC Tretter for being solid... to good at times...

With the added weight, it will be interesting to see if his improved functional strength boosts his game.. if so, we should sign him longterm for a budget contract as I think he's a lot better than a lot of us make him out to be...

2 hours ago, Mind Character said:

Which combo is better:

If Harrison gets blown by on the left side that is more likely to be a sack, turnover, or injury.  If Corbett blows his assignment it's more likely Tyrod or Baker can protect the ball and themselves.

And I think our run blocking is at least a wash because even if Corbett doesn't get in front of pulls he's still a better straight ahead blocker than Harrison is.

I think that the reason you think this is a good idea isn't that you think Harrison is better than Corbett.  I think you think Harrison is better than Bitonio you crazy, crazy man.

2 hours ago, Mind Character said:

Yeah... and as I said to @DawgX , Harrison hasn't gone against the 1s while Bitonio has with multiple reps...

I do wonder if at some point we will come to appreciate JC Tretter for being solid... to good at times...

With the added weight, it will be interesting to see if his improved functional strength boosts his game.. if so, we should sign him longterm for a budget contract as I think he's a lot better than a lot of us make him out to be...

I’m already there my man.  Tretter isn’t Alex Mack, but he’s a starting caliber center. 5 solid lineman and you can win in the NFL.

NE, PIT, BAL, SEA, etc, none of them have had “elite” OL when they won rings.  It’s a league based around defense and QB play, not your OL.  It’s not 1972.

3 hours ago, Mind Character said:

Heavy feet OL are typically pushed to RT before they are pushed inside...

Joe also has elaborated elsewhere that he thinks Bitonio's a better fit at guard or center than tackle...

"I think he's very well-suited for guard, for center, but he's not really tall or lanky. He's not a basketball player. I think typically you want your tackles to be kind of former basketball players."

"[This is based on] his skill set," Thomas said. "Austin, God bless him, is not a tackle. He does not have the speed that you need to be able to block edge rushers. He does [have heavy feet].

Those edge rushers Joe's talking about aren't exclusive to the Left side...

There's a reason why Joe and more emphatically Alonzo Highsmith bring up Center...

But I'd be willing to bet if I went to Joe and watched the preseason film with him, he'd say maybe we should move him to Center where he can operate in a phone booth...

I could be wrong .. but the point was ... even Joe understood he had heavy and slow feet... and is likely a better fit on the inside...

I believe he predicted RT b/c he figured that's where they would try him next.. not

I think the issue is that Joe says guard or center, but you're saying only center. Joe didn't say heavy, slow feet. He said not fast enough for tackle, and literally says he has good feet. You're saying Corbett can't play guard, and I think many would disagree. I've also noticed moments where Corbett looked slow because of hesitation or taking an extra second thinking out there.

But he can be a damn good guard. Probably a damn good center too. This FO felt he had feet borderline good enough for tackle, and I'll go with their expert opinions. To summarize, don't hate the player, baby. Hate the game.

• 1 month later...
On 8/27/2018 at 11:40 AM, CBrownsman said:

The one thing I'll say Mind, though I respect the hell out of the amount of game-tape you watch and your opinions on a lot of players, you do have the tendency to value some late round draft picks and prospects much higher than most teams do.  If I'm being honest, they tend to be good players, like Nacua, I loved him as a backup FS, and as an undrafted free agent, I thought it was a good move, the team didn't seem to agree however.  Maybe your right, I am aware that one of the key elements to the NFL is if they are drafted, particularly high, by an NFL team, they get more of a chance and more playing time.  I'm not trying to bring up any sore subject on Kia Nacua, but hes not going to end up making the Ravens, that is just one example I can think of.  In this particular case, though I am excited to see if someday Desmond Harrison can show something at LT, you think he is our best starting left tackle right now?  If that's the case we are in much more trouble than I thought.  I think Joel Bitonio has played admirably for being thrown out there this offseason, and I really hope he ends up being the answer, because LG's are much easier to find the LT's.  I hope in 2-3 years Harrison can compete for the spot, but he just hasn't shown the consistent domination against the best talent to trust him with our blind spot roll as of yet.  All this being said I would love to be wrong and him end up taking over and dominating....I just don't see it....

@Mind Character I just want to give props when props are due.

You were the one calling this all along, and it looks like Harrison might just be, not the LT we deserve, but the LT we need....

Touche sir...

Archived