The Elephant In the Room: Austin Corbett is Not an Impact OT/OG He's an OC

Mind Character

I'd like to go back to my original draft day synopsis where I said that if we were going to be drafting an interior lineman that it should be Will Hernandez. Side note, Hernandez is ranked in the Top 5 interior linemen in the NFL through 4 weeks according to PFF. I also really wanted Courtland Sutton, who would be a significant upgrade over any outside WR that we currently have on our roster.

On 10/3/2018 at 9:46 AM, MWil23 said:

I'd like to go back to my original draft day synopsis where I said that if we were going to be drafting an interior lineman that it should be Will Hernandez. Side note, Hernandez is ranked in the Top 5 interior linemen in the NFL through 4 weeks according to PFF. I also really wanted Courtland Sutton, who would be a significant upgrade over any outside WR that we currently have on our roster.

Yeah I wanted Sutton there.

I knew we couldn't trust Gordon and needed a backup option.

On 10/3/2018 at 8:46 AM, MWil23 said:

yeah I loved Hernandez at 33. He's just so mean.

On 10/4/2018 at 8:21 AM, pnies20 said:

yeah I loved Hernandez at 33. He's just so mean.

Most of us thought Hernandez was going to be very good, but it doesn't seem to be fair to compare him to Corbett. No one seemed to want a guard high in the draft with Bitonio and Zeitler. The talk was about a tackle and maybe a center to upgrade Tretter. Most projected Corbett as center with a few saying tackle. It seems like apples and oranges a bit.

1 hour ago, NudeTayne said:

Most of us thought Hernandez was going to be very good, but it doesn't seem to be fair to compare him to Corbett. No one seemed to want a guard high in the draft with Bitonio and Zeitler. The talk was about a tackle and maybe a center to upgrade Tretter. Most projected Corbett as center with a few saying tackle. It seems like apples and oranges a bit.

Yes Hernandez is a G only. Corbett can play anywhere. I think he's best suited at G. 

Has zeitler played up to his big cap number? (We'll have him through 2019)

Hubbards play has slowly been deteriorating since the preseason.

maybe Corbett eventually takes over. Who knows. We'll see.

25 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

Corbett cant play tackle in the nfl, he might not even be a great guard.

Zeitler has been good, I wish he was dominating, but he isn't. We are better off with him than anyone else. 

Jc tretter has been better this year also. 

So, for what possible reason did we draft this guy so high?

15 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

It has to be missed evaluation.

they thought he was an Ot @Mind Character thinks he is limited to C, whos opinion I respect. 

there are probably 10 guys we would of been better off drafting retrospect.  

Yeah he looks like a whiff, at least initially.

Not really a big deal though, they’re gonna happen.  

57 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Yeah he looks like a whiff, at least initially.

Not really a big deal though, they’re gonna happen.  

yeah, if Dorsey hits big at .500 then it is good gming. 

Ray Farmer         John dorsey        Sachi

Gilbert                Baker                     coleman

Johnny               Ward                      Ogbah

Bitonio                Crobett                 Nassib

Kirksey                chubb                   Coleman

West                    Thomas                Kessler

Desier                  Callaway              Scho

Avery                     Louis
                             Ratley                    Kindred
                             thomas                  Devalve

Payton

Drango

Higgins

Caldwell

Scooby

So far There are only three misses in the Dorsey class, Crobbet, and he isn't terrible, Chad thomas looks pretty poor, and Simeon thomas, is gone but he was a late pick. Farmer, missed hard  at the top of the draft with some great player available. Gilbert, Manzeil, West was mediocre-poor and Desier is actually is decent now,. Kirksey is barely above average and is possibly easily replaceable, he had one great pick and that is Bitonio and I really like him. Sachi first draft didn't have many big hits, Ogbah, Higgins, devalve, Kindred, Nassib are above average,and Schobert is maybe a bit better. 

it is interesting that in 2018 dorsey filled the holes which Farmer missed high on CB and QB. 

The 2018 seems to have some good hits for us. Early reviews on Corbett are rough though. For pick 33, when it’s s head scratcher, you hope the GM knows something everyone else doesn’t. I don’t mind out of the box picks. But that was basically a late 1st rounder. With the benefit of a full nights sleep and potential trade offers. As good as the rest of the draft may be handled, Corbett/Thomas were bizarre. So many other routes we could have gone at least at 33, that would really help us right now. I think he overthought that one.

Archived