The Elephant In the Room: Austin Corbett is Not an Impact OT/OG He's an OC

Mind Character

5 hours ago, NateDawg said:

The 2018 seems to have some good hits for us. Early reviews on Corbett are rough though. For pick 33, when it’s s head scratcher, you hope the GM knows something everyone else doesn’t. I don’t mind out of the box picks. But that was basically a late 1st rounder. With the benefit of a full nights sleep and potential trade offers. As good as the rest of the draft may be handled, Corbett/Thomas were bizarre. So many other routes we could have gone at least at 33, that would really help us right now. I think he overthought that one.

Yeah he definitely thought he had the feet to play tackle, no other explanation really.

Now, if Corbett moves inside and can become a good C then it’s not a wasted pick, but it still wouldn’t be ideal as 33 is far to high for developmental interior OL.

Let’s just hope he’s a stud C.

7 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Yeah he definitely thought he had the feet to play tackle, no other explanation really.

Now, if Corbett moves inside and can become a good C then it’s not a wasted pick, but it still wouldn’t be ideal as 33 is far to high for developmental interior OL.

Let’s just hope he’s a stud C.

Yeah, I think that could be an example of a team making a positional need pick over BPA. 

7 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

Yeah, I think that could be an example of a team making a positional need pick over BPA. 

or they thought he was BPA and thought he would contribute but then got lucky a day later that he eventually found their starting LT as an UDFA. Who PFF ranks as the 14th best LT and 16th best overall tackle this season so far.

They prolly drafted Corb this year thinking he would start some where on the left side. Just got damn lucky with harrison  

18 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

Very possible.

In Dorsey’s defense, we had a glaring hole there and had no luck signing a guy in FA so his hand was somewhat forced a bit.

Ideally he wouldn’t have reached for Corbett, but I’ve seen worse mistakes.

Signing Desmond Harrison as a UDFA I could give a damn about the Corbett pick 

Corbett could not play another down for us and I'll be happy 

we got our Pro Bowl LT of the future and didn't even use a draft pick 

not even Tom Heckert could pull off **** **** like that 

Yeah I still don't hate the Corbett pick. Not to say I like it, cause I didn't at the time either. But if he can become a good starting center, as Tretter is merely decent, then you can't hate on the pick too much. Plus, I thought he looked fine at LG in the preseason. Still, it would have been nice to grab someone like Sutton at WR instead at #33. But if we had drafted Harrison at #33 and got the level of play he's been giving us, then I don't think any of us would be complaining.

The Chad Thomas pick, on the other hand, was bad at the time and doesn't look any better now. 

Archived