Preseason, Week 4: VIKINGS (2-1) at Titans (0-3)

swede700

Who will have the most receptions this game?  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Who will have the most receptions this game?

• Laquon Treadwell
    • Taywan Taylor
    • Chad Beebe
    • Tajae Sharpe
    • Jake Wieneke
    • Darius Jennings
    • David Morgan
    • Luke Stocker
    • Other

8 minutes ago, RpMc said:

Of the last 17 super bowl champions... 7 of them finished the pre-season 3-1 (who says the pre-season doesn't matter?!).

(credit to Seth Kaplan for this stat)

so you're saying we should have NOT gone 3-1 to have a better chance to win the super bowl...

oh well, i hope we at least get a good draft pick.

33 minutes ago, whitehops said:

so you're saying we should have NOT gone 3-1 to have a better chance to win the super bowl...

oh well, i hope we at least get a good draft pick.

Given that you have to have a record between 0-4 and 4-0 and the majority of super bowl champions the last 17 years had a 3-1 preseason record, no. No teams that went 0-4 won the super bowl. Three 4-0 teams did, Four 2-2 teams did, and three 1-3 teams did. 

1 hour ago, RpMc said:

Of the last 17 super bowl champions... 7 of them finished the pre-season 3-1

35 minutes ago, RpMc said:

and the majority of super bowl champions the last 17 years had a 3-1 preseason record

I don't think the word "majority" means what you think it means. Perhaps you are looking for the word "plurality". The majority of the last 17 SB champions did not have a 3-1 preseason record (10-7).

Inigo-Montoya-WORD-MEANS.jpg

Yeah, not a majority but a plurality. 

You could tie those Super Bowl wins to the frequency of each respective preseason record. Assuming all preseason games are 50-50 odds, there would be 4 times as many 3-1 teams as 4-0 teams, 6 times as many 2-2 teams as 4-0 teams, 4 times as many 1-3 and the same number of 0-4.

So having 3 SB winners from the pool of 4-0 teams is actually more impressive than 7 SB winners from the (probably roughly 4 times larger) pool of 3-1 teams. 

?

Back to the game:

Sloter wasn’t great but still better than Siemian, who was just terrible in the pocket, again. Pass protection was generally good until the 3rd stringers gave up a strip sack on Pujals  

The run blocking was ineffective. Thomas had a couple of moments but Boone was clearly better. 

Zylstra was the best WR, as we’ve been hoping and expecting. Robertson was disappointing. Badet should go to the PS — he got wide open on a go route but Sloter badly underthrew it.

Conklin was a complete non factor. Bell was OK but he missed the block on the deflected punt. 

Collins had another bad game with multiple missed blocks including a howler at LT. I don’t think he’ll make it as a starter but he’s worth rostering as a backup, and maybe one more year of development can fix his technique.

O’Neill had one missed block in pass protection, was otherwise clean playing almost the entire game. Up and down as a run blocker but I think he can be a starter even by the end of this year.

Isidora started at C, had a low snap and a false start (blamed on Collins) from missing the snap count but otherwise did OK there.

I hardly noticed Jones, which is probably a good thing.

Gossett played pretty well.

Weatherly was fantastic getting upfield. The roughing flag was bogus. He got washed out on a run to his side, which is sadly typical for him, but he’s much better than last year otherwise. 

Bower was good. Odenigbo didn’t do much, doubt he sticks. Jaleel Johnson was quiet but I think his spot is safe. Holmes got wiped out too often in the run game but he had 1.5 sacks and some other pressures, have to keep him. 

Wilson was a man among boys, 5 tackles including at least one TFL and another stop in barely a quarter. He’s good. 

Cliett was the next best LB. Williams didn’t play, not sure why.

Hughes finally gave up a catch, let his guy get a step on a shallow crossing route from the slot but still recovered to make the tackle for an 8 yard gain on 3rd and 10. Finishes preseason with 4 targets, 1 catch for 8 yards, on 50+ coverage snaps. 

Hill was good as a corner in coverage, pretty bad as a run defender (bad missed tackle) and excellent as a PR/KR. Wonder if that’s the end of Sherels. 

Harris and Iloka made plays. Kearse was up and down. 

Carlson made all his kicks.

10 hours ago, RpMc said:

Of the last 17 super bowl champions... 7 of them finished the pre-season 3-1 (who says the pre-season doesn't matter?!).

(credit to Seth Kaplan for this stat)

It's an anomaly...pre-season doesn't matter.

Archived