Bears Release G Earl Watford

turtle28

2 hours ago, Doc Draper said:

It’s funny when we get all upset about a backup guard when Gruden still can’t get plays in and has to call timeouts, team continues to look completely unprepared and unconditioned, we don’t have a starting running back, our starting TE is Mr Glass, our starting slot receiver ( who regressed last year) hasn’t had even one play, our old man starting quarterback has the worst rating of any starting qb in preseason, learning a new offensive system and has had few game reps with starting receivers, defense under perrinenial subpar coach manusky, Norman getting beaten like a drum, other corners are inexperienced, safeties looking awful and a kicker who is struggling just barely getting extra points through the uprights. Gotta be impressed with the passion of our Redskins fans!!! 

They call it preseason for a reason for those players who will be on the team. All were talking about is depth in this thread. It’s not a big deal, but I think most would like to have an established OG as a reserve. I like Kalis’ potential and Catalina is meh but I’d rather see them have a vet as a reserve than to have to rely on guys like we did last year when we had injuries.

13 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

And one of them will probably make the team - hopefully Kalis IMO bc he played pretty well vs Clinton McDonald - but we could put one of them on the practice squad and sign a vet guard as a back up to Lauvao and Scherff. I fail to see how that’s not the best decision to make for good depth at OG for this roster this year.

Watford is not "good depth." He's simply a body. Fine, if you're going to sign someone who is "simply a body," then sign a body who might have some upside. Who might turn into something.

That's not Watford. He's a bum. Stop pretending like we needed him. There are, right now, 50 guys we could sign that can duplicate what Watford is capable of.

5 minutes ago, Slateman said:

Watford is not "good depth." He's simply a body. Fine, if you're going to sign someone who is "simply a body," then sign a body who might have some upside. Who might turn into something.

That's not Watford. He's a bum. Stop pretending like we needed him. There are, right now, 50 guys we could sign that can duplicate what Watford is capable of.

He’s better than the other back up guards we have. Maybe he’s not a “good” player anymore but I don’t really think we can say that he is worse than what we have. We should want to get the to best players we can, if he’s better than Catalina and Kalis - which is almost certain he is - then it would be an improvement on our depth.

What you’re basically saying is we should just roll with the interior line depth we had from last year - only worse because we don’t have Spencer Long - which just spells out disaster. If we can upgrade Catalina or Kalis before week 1, we should.

Doing so could prove costly like it did last year when Catalina was forced to start and we had to sign a street free agent and our 3rd team center, Bergstrom who is now our main back up interior OL and he’s not that good either.

As for your last point, your just making that number up. Who are these 50 players?

4 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

He’s better than the other back up guards we have. Maybe he’s not a “good” player anymore but I don’t really think we can say that he is worse than what we have. We should want to get the to best players we can, if he’s better than Catalina and Kalis - which is almost certain he is - then it would be an improvement on our depth.

What you’re basically saying is we should just roll with the interior line depth we had from last year - only worse because we don’t have Spencer Long - which just spells out disaster. If we can upgrade Catalina or Kalis before week 1, we should.

Doing so could prove costly like it did last year when Catalina was forced to start and we had to sign a street free agent and our 3rd team center, Bergstrom who is now our main back up interior OL and he’s not that good either.

As for your last point, your just making that number up. Who are these 50 players?

It doesn't matter if he's better than the other back up guards (BTW, it's impossible to know this).

He. Is. Garbage.

He was never a good player. He was never an average player. He has always been a terrible player. He is not an upgrade over Catalina or Kalis.

What I'm saying is that the front office should have actually addressed the interior line, but didn't, and trying to fix it with what amounts to another Shawn Lauvao is not an acceptable solution.

Find 50 people who have played guard in the NFL and are under 30 years old. Boom, you have a list.

18 minutes ago, Slateman said:

It doesn't matter if he's better than the other back up guards (BTW, it's impossible to know this).

He. Is. Garbage.

He was never a good player. He was never an average player. He has always been a terrible player. He is not an upgrade over Catalina or Kalis.

What I'm saying is that the front office should have actually addressed the interior line, but didn't, and trying to fix it with what amounts to another Shawn Lauvao is not an acceptable solution.

Find 50 people who have played guard in the NFL and are under 30 years old. Boom, you have a list.

Doubt it, but you’re entitled to your opinion. From the little research I did looking back at his injury history, he battled some injuries which may have affected his play particularly last year when he played though a high ankle sprain.

19 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Doubt it, but you’re entitled to your opinion. From the little research I did looking back at his injury history, he battled some injuries which may have affected his play particularly last year when he played though a high ankle sprain.

That doesn't explain being terrible 2013-2016.

5 hours ago, Slateman said:

Catalina and Kalis might actually be good or develop into decent role players/backups. They are young and have not had a lot of playing time in the NFL. They also have more time in our current scheme than Watford does. They have potential to be something on this team.

*Ron Howard voice* Catalina isn't and he won't.

(jury is still out on Kalis, but the fact that it looks like he'll lose out to Catalina for a second year in a row is not a good sign)

2 hours ago, Slateman said:

He. Is. Garbage.

This could very easily be true. But that's not a ringing endorsement of Catalina and Kalis either.

The line depth is going to bite the Redskins in the *** this season. Mark it down now. Could easily cost them a win or two and likely get Gruden fired (but Allen will slither by as not responsible and hire the next coach).

20 hours ago, Woz said:

This could very easily be true. But that's not a ringing endorsement of Catalina and Kalis either.

The line depth is going to bite the Redskins in the *** this season. Mark it down now. Could easily cost them a win or two and likely get Gruden fired (but Allen will slither by as not responsible and hire the next coach).

It’s hard to imagine the Redskins having as many OL injuries as last year. I think they move Nsekhe to G if they have to. He’s a valuable and versatile piece that the coaches trust at both T positions and both G positions.

While it’s not ideal because we don’t have multiple players we trust at those back up positions, we do have a guy who could start on this team at LG and we wouldn’t lose much - if anything - and he’s played pretty well at LT before. He needs work at RT but I think he’d improve there if he got more work there.

39 minutes ago, Slateman said:

Or we could wait until all cuts and see if something decent drops free. If not,  sign some random donk and move on.

Sure. But you might not get the minimum quality level you think.

Perhaps next year, we will address the G position in the draft. This year should be informative to us that you cant get a starting quality G just anywhere (not saying Watford is, just that LG continues to vex us)

Archived