Patriots extend G Shaq Mason 5 year 50 mil

49erurtaza

18 minutes ago, RuskieTitan said:

He's a good guard, but not one that I would consider top 10 at his position, and frankly devoting $10+ mil per season to one guard, he better be elite.

You wouldn’t get an elite guard for $10M/year, not on the current market anyway.

Martin’s deal is 40% more than Shaq’s. Norwell’s is 33% more. Those were both done in this same offseason. You have guards making more from two offseason’s ago. 

4 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

You wouldn’t get an elite guard for $10M/year, not on the current market anyway.

Martin’s deal is 40% more than Shaq’s. Norwell’s is 33% more. Those were both done in this same offseason. You have guards making more from two offseason’s ago. 

Which is why I specified "$10+". From a cap perspective, you can find good enough serviceable guards to plug into the line. If you are spending big bucks, the guy better be elite to justify that cap space. And I guess from my perspective I don't think Mason is worth that much. Norwell, and particularly Martin, they make more, but you know you are getting top of the line production. 

Is he good and worth starting? Absolutely. But just not sure that his price tag justifies it. But hey if the Pat's have the cap space, why not. 

Archived