Behold Da Bearz!

vike daddy

3 hours ago, RpMc said:

If they’d be willing to set the contract precedent of players being paid during suspension, sure.

It’s not about being paid during a suspension, it’s about a suspension stemming from an on the field play that allows the organization to void Smith’s guaranteed money. 

There’s good news, sort of, regarding the Bears’ impasse with No. 8 overall draft pick Roquan Smith. According to David Haugh of the Chicago Tribune, the Bears finally have conceded that they won’t void Smith’s future guarantees if the league suspends him for violating the rules regarding the use of the helmet. However, the Bears haven’t gone far enough to get the deal done.

The Bears still want to be able to void future guarantees if Smith is suspended for something that happens on the field beyond the confines of a play — a late hit, a fight, physicality that occurs while a player is defending himself against an attack by an opponent, inadvertent contact with an official, or anything else that could prompt the league office to impose a suspension that is later upheld on appeal. Smith’s camp, per a league source, wants Smith to be protected against the team having the ability to wipe out guarantees over a suspension arising from one hit or one post-play brouhaha.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/08/01/bears-move-on-voiding-of-guarantees-but-not-far-enough/

10 hours ago, vike daddy said:

The Bears still want to be able to void future guarantees if Smith is suspended for something that happens on the field beyond the confines of a play — a late hit, a fight, physicality that occurs while a player is defending himself against an attack by an opponent, inadvertent contact with an official, or anything else that could prompt the league office to impose a suspension that is later upheld on appeal.

But why? Is this something that is in other players contracts?

If suspended he already gets docked those game checks for games he misses (right?) AND they (DA BEARS) want to take away some of his guaranteed money?

Roquan Smith’s holdout is the second-longest since the new Collective Bargaining Agreement was put in place in 2011 and, due to the early reporting date with the Bears in the Hall of Fame Game, he’s a little more than a week away from matching Joey Bosa‘s 31-day holdout two years ago.

Nagy: “There’s no news. As we’ve all said from the beginning, there is a process. I just need to worry about who’s here. And that’s really, truly where I’m at. I’m at a point right now where I just want to focus on who’s here and that’s all — control what I can control and those are the guys that we have and it’s really not that hard. You can spin it in a million different ways, but it’s pretty simple. If you’re here, that’s where we’re at. If you’re not, you can go through the process and eventually get it figured out.”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/08/07/matt-nagy-i-have-no-idea-when-roquan-smith-might-sign/

2 hours ago, VikeManDan said:

I feel the same way, I tend not to worry too much with our defense either. Although they do always give us fits in Chicago.

Really, it was more Jordan Howard of late. For some reason he seems to put together some solid games against us. At least after Jeffery left.

Chicago linebacker Roquan Smith is this year’s only draft pick who hasn’t signed his rookie contract, and the Bears don’t seem to think the issue is going to be resolved any time soon. Bears General Manager Ryan Pace said on the radio broadcast of the team’s pregame show tonight that nothing is happening on the Smith front.

Pace:  “There are really no new developments to this point. It’s something that we’re working through and obviously I feel like a broken record here but we want him to be here but it’s just part of the process. I hope people can respect it, I definitely appreciate the questions and understand the questions, but out of respect to the player and the agent it is a sensitive topic and I think it’s best if we just keep that behind the scenes.”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/08/09/bears-g-m-ryan-pace-no-new-developments-on-roquan-smith/