Behold Da Bearz!

vike daddy

9 minutes ago, swede700 said:

I would fear that too, considering the tendency of teams still preferring the guy that they drafted.  Foles doesn't care as much, since he's been a journeyman and has a ring.  

I’m sure Teddy is tired of being viewed as a stop gap. He’s still young enough to be a long term solution for a team and he’s proven to be healthy. I think he’s earned the right to be viewed as the unquestioned starter, at least for a year.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The Bears took the second-round pick they got from the Raiders in the Khalil Mack trade and used it on Notre Dame tight end Cole Kmet. That gives them -- and this is not a typo -- 11 tight ends on the roster. That's a lot of guys for Mitchell Trubisky to overthrow in the red zone.

With their second pick in the second round, the Bears drafted Utah corner Jaylon Johnson with LSU's Kristian Fulton and Alabama's Trevon Diggs still on the board.

What are the Bears doing?

https://sports.yahoo.com/2020-nfl-draft-winners-losers-072017188.html

Kmet may be the 10th TE on the Bears’ roster, but he’s the best one on the roster. So, I don’t get the consternation by draft analysts. 

And Jaylon Johnson, if healthy, is a better CB than Fulton. He’s also probably better in the immediate than Diggs, although Diggs likely has a higher ceiling. The only concern with Johnson is that shoulder. 

• Like 1

On 4/26/2020 at 7:02 AM, SemperFeist said:

Kmet may be the 10th TE on the Bears’ roster, but he’s the best one on the roster. So, I don’t get the consternation by draft analysts. 

And Jaylon Johnson, if healthy, is a better CB than Fulton. He’s also probably better in the immediate than Diggs, although Diggs likely has a higher ceiling. The only concern with Johnson is that shoulder. 

There's absolutely no proof to the point that he's the best TE on the roster, considering Trey Burton was supposed to be the best TE on the roster a season ago.  The Bears and Packers had 2 of the worst drafts period this year...and I'm not sure it's even close.  Lions had a significantly better draft than either of them...which they should, considering where they were picking.

8 minutes ago, swede700 said:

There's absolutely no proof to the point that he's the best TE on the roster, considering Trey Burton was supposed to be the best TE on the roster a season ago.  The Bears and Packers had 2 of the worst drafts period this year...and I'm not sure it's even close.  Lions had a significantly better draft than either of them...which they should, considering where they were picking.

I never claimed that the Bears didn’t have a poor draft, or the Packers. And I didn’t compare either to Detroit. 

I simply said that the argument against drafting Kmet because they had so many TEs on the roster is a poor one. And while there’s no proof, based on who those other tight ends are, it’s not a leap to suggest that Kmet is the best on the roster. 

There’s no proof that Justin Jefferson is a better WR than Dillon Mitchell, Alexander Hollins, Davion Davis, Bralon Addison, or Chad Beebe, but I think we all know the answer. 

5 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

I never claimed that the Bears didn’t have a poor draft, or the Packers. And I didn’t compare either to Detroit. 

I simply said that the argument against drafting Kmet because they had so many TEs on the roster is a poor one. And while there’s no proof, based on who those other tight ends are, it’s not a leap to suggest that Kmet is the best on the roster. 

There’s no proof that Justin Jefferson is a better WR than Dillon Mitchell, Alexander Hollins, Davion Davis, Bralon Addison, or Chad Beebe, but I think we all know the answer. 

I'll agree that it probably is a poor argument, but it's a poor roster management situation, and it should be resolved prior to training camp, because it's a disservice to many of the players, as it doesn't set up a fair competition.  What are they going to do this year to whittle down the list, set up a catch and block competition, moving 5 yards down the field after every successful attempt?  

Edited by swede700

8 minutes ago, swede700 said:

disservice to many of the players, as it doesn't set up a fair competition. 

You can literally make that statement about every player on every roster in the league when their team drafts another player. 

There’s not going to be a fair competition for the WRs I mentioned when Jefferson gets on the field. There’s not going to be a fair competition for Holton Hill or Kris Boyd when Gladney gets on the field.

24 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

You can literally make that statement about every player on every roster in the league when their team drafts another player. 

There’s not going to be a fair competition for the WRs I mentioned when Jefferson gets on the field. There’s not going to be a fair competition for Holton Hill or Kris Boyd when Gladney gets on the field.

There are often 3 CBs on the field at the same time, there is certainly a fair competition.  There's generally, at most 2 TEs on the field at the same time.  I'm not talking about that type of unfair competition,  I'm talking about the case where you have about 4-5 times the number of players than can what possibly even make the team.  That's the equivalent of having 25 WRs or having 9 QBs on your camp squad.  There's not nearly enough snaps to go around to possibly show what you can do.  

• Like 2

In one of the least surprising moves of the offseason so far, the Chicago Bears have declined to pick up quarterback Mitchell Trubisky’s fifth-year option, per NFL insider Tom Pelissero. 

https://heavy.com/sports/2020/05/bears-decline-mitchell-trubiskys-fifth-year-option/?fbclid=IwAR0Q8Gd-dlOmOhJAD53MOCnagU26dDPCCCKeae4AvSCa8ly9mbkapLr73eQ

The Saints have dropped guard Larry Warford onto the open market. The Bears have dropped their pursuit of him.

Per a source with knowledge of the situation, the Bears are not pursuing the three-time Pro Bowler. It’s unclear whether the Bears were ever officially in on the chase for Warford. They reportedly were considering it. Regardless, they currently are not.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/05/09/bears-are-out-of-the-larry-warford-chase/

• 2 months later...