Disenchantment (Netflix)

The Gnat

On 8/29/2018 at 7:31 AM, Fl0nkerton said:

I enjoyed it. If nothing else its great background noise / something you can half pay attention to and laugh at sometimes. 

I tried this yesterday while working from home - this works, because you don't care enough to follow the story by every single bit of dialogue, but you can look up for 10-15 seconds and hear/see something funny and chuckle.

I figured out why this isn't like it's spiritual brethren: They jumped right into the character's arc a few episodes in. Both The Simpsons and Futureama had seasons worth of - for the lack of a better term - nothing. Create situation, insert characters, hilarity ensured. Seems counterproductive, but it served as a baseline to build these characters, giving the viewer a "why" to care once the story arc truthfully began. With Disenchantment, we're immediately into what makes these people tick, without caring who they are at first.

One last, kinda random aside... In Futurama, they showed time passing before as Fry was frozen: In one period of time, Earth is destroyed by aliens...then is rebuilt into a mideval-like world, only to be destroyed again by the same aliens.

If this show is the events on Earth between these two alien attacks, then I will take every criticism back and praise this show as crack for callbacks. I don't know why, but thinking that Fry is somewhere in this world in a cryo tube while Nibbler keeps a keen eye over him just makes me laugh hysterically.

2 hours ago, ET80 said:

I tried this yesterday while working from home - this works, because you don't care enough to follow the story by every single bit of dialogue, but you can look up for 10-15 seconds and hear/see something funny and chuckle.

I figured out why this isn't like it's spiritual brethren: They jumped right into the character's arc a few episodes in. Both The Simpsons and Futureama had seasons worth of - for the lack of a better term - nothing. Create situation, insert characters, hilarity ensured. Seems counterproductive, but it served as a baseline to build these characters, giving the viewer a "why" to care once the story arc truthfully began. With Disenchantment, we're immediately into what makes these people tick, without caring who they are at first.

One last, kinda random aside: In Futurama, they showed time passing before as Fry was frozen: In one period of time, Earth is destroyed by aliens...then is rebuilt into a mideval-like world, only to be destroyed again by the same aliens.

If this show is the events on Earth between these two alien attacks, then I will take every criticism back and praise this show as crack for callbacks. I don't know why, but thinking that Fry is somewhere in this world in a cryo tube while Nibbler keeps a keen eye over him just makes me laugh hysterically.

Honestly the reason why i think its easy to be instantly turned off by the show is that ot has very little in common with Futurama. While i dont think its the best show, it has a completely different set up from Futurama. Like how they set he characters up, as you pointed out. 

If you had someone watch it that never heard of Futurama they would probably be far less critical.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived