Deshone Kizer: Present & Future Career Prospects

Mind Character

This Jimmy G talk is crazy. I believe Kizer develops and becomes a better NFL QB than Jimmy. Paying all kinds of money for an unknown commodity is nuts. He is staying in Mew England. Like others said I wouldn't be surprised if he took over for Brady next year. If Brady has more games like week one than week two. It could be sooner. 

52 minutes ago, Mastercheddaar said:

If Kizer isn't any good (Common sense here)... Draft a top rated QB. We'll be in the position to get a good one. 

That is all

mastercheddaar

Unless Kizer shows a lot more than he has shown so far, draft one of the top-rated guys. Done.

Its insanity the difference a week makes.  After a week 1 loss to the Steelers without any huge glaring mistakes and a perfect preseason, the consensus was Kizer is the franchise, after a terrible week 2, draft a top guy.

There are 14 more games to go, lets watch and see.  I don't know either way, I hope that he is the guy.  I thought pre draft and still think that he is a project with potential.  Time will tell.

17 hours ago, DizzyDean said:

Its insanity the difference a week makes.  After a week 1 loss to the Steelers without any huge glaring mistakes and a perfect preseason, the consensus was Kizer is the franchise, after a terrible week 2, draft a top guy.

There are 14 more games to go, lets watch and see.  I don't know either way, I hope that he is the guy.  I thought pre draft and still think that he is a project with potential.  Time will tell.

Not saying draft a top guy yet. Give Kizer the whole season to show improvement. If he looks like he has the abilities to be a starter in this league then excellent. We can sell our pick to the highest bidder as far as I'm concerned. However if Kizer obviously doesn't have it, Darnold, Mayfield, Rudolph would be my guys. 

That is all

Mastercheddaar

29 minutes ago, Mastercheddaar said:

Not saying draft a top guy yet. Give Kizer the whole season to show improvement. If he looks like he has the abilities to be a starter in this league then excellent. We can sell our pick to the highest bidder as far as I'm concerned. However if Kizer obviously doesn't have it, Darnold, Mayfield, Rudolph would be my guys. 

That is all

Mastercheddaar

Just so we're all clear, Mayfield and Rudolph are both OLDER than Kizer is.

Let's keep that in perspective here.  

2 hours ago, Mastercheddaar said:

That is all

Mastercheddaar

Kizer definitely has the physical tools, but the NFL is littered with guys that had the physical tools but just were not cut from the right cloth.  My thoughts, if Kizer shows several wow moments and flashes, but several block head moments that look awful, then you keep Kizer, draft the best prospect that you can next year, and let them compete.

• 1 month later...
On 8/13/2017 at 11:01 PM, Mind Character said:

The following QBs are scheduled to hit the market as UFA unless franchised or extended within the season:

1. Drew Brees

2. Matthew Stafford

3. Kirk Cousins

4. Jimmy Garoppolo

5. Teddy Bridgewater

6. Sam Bradford

7. Derek Anderson

The relevant RFAs are as follows:

1. AJ Mccaron

With Jimmy G off the list..

It looks like our options are down to Sam Bradford/Teddy Bridgewater, Kirk Cousins, and possibly AJ Mccaron if end of the season arbitration makes him a UFA.

Those are some bad options.

I'm not a fan of 30 year old Kirk Cousins...he's already been at his peak and it would be a waste of salary.

Bradford and Bridgewater  both have serious injury concerns.

Derek Anderson is Derek Anderson...

The best option available are:

1. hoping AJ Mccaron indeed becomes a UFA

AND

2. hoping Darnold comes out in the draft and doesn't pull an Eli Manning and force a trade.

I'd love to go into next year wiith Mccaron, Darnold, and Kizer which is the best scenario..

More likely...we can sign Mccaron and let him and Kizer battle it out giving Deshone more time to progress

-----------------

I don't think Rosen, Jackson, and Rudolph are better than Kizer despite what we've seen to this point.

If I had to choose one of those 3...I'd put my chips on Lamar Jackson.

-------------------

I'd hate to have the number 1 overall pick, have Darnold not come out, and us take Rosen over Saquan Barkley to force the QB pick

Sam Darnold and Saquon Barkley will remain the cream of the crop in this draft. If we have picks 1 or 2, we need to take one of them.

If they are not on the board, we should acquire more picks.

Just b/c Deshaun Watson balled out does not mean that you don't pass on Rosen or Jackson if you think they're similar to Kizer. The two decisions are mutually exclusive.

Everyone in the Grossi hoard will be saying passing on Rosen and Jackson is the same as passing on Wentz, and Deshaun Watson. When those players are different players.

Wentz and Watson are more skilled than Rosen and Jackson when it comes to having the total package for QB play imo.

I don’t like Lamar Jackson as an NFL QB. I’ll be enraged if we force the QB pick with him at 1 over another option like Barkley or a trade back (also, for Barkley). Darnold is probably the only reasonable QB option at 1. The other options are trade, FA, or another repeat of a later 1/2/3. We’ve had little success going that route.

• 1 month later...

Someone please tell me why AJ Mccaron is so awful?

6ft 3. 220 pounds

He had a 30 TD to 3 INT year at Bama his Junior year surrounded by A++ talent leading to a BCS NC title.

Followed by a 28 and 7 INT at Bama his Senior year surrounded by A++ talent leading to a BCS NC title.

His stock dropped as media reports stated that at the combine he came off as Cocky and Arrogant. " It was reported that teams felt during pre-draft interviews that he came across cocky and over-confident. When asked what his best attribute was during an interview at the combine, McCarron responded, "Winning!"

He had the stigma of being a game manager due to the superior talent around him at Bama.

He also was thought to not have a plus arm.

He had full control of the offense at Bama and understands pro schemes.

When he came out in the draft I did no digging on him and believed what I was told via the sports media and draft rumor mills.

Then, one day last year, when I heard that we might be interested in him I watched all of his pro snaps at the Bengals and watched half of the games his senior year and a handful his Junior year.

I was blown away at his deep ball touch and accuracy; his ability to adjust at the line. Specifically, watch his play in the pros, he's throwing bombs 50 yards down the field dropped in the bucket to AJ Green.

He also gets the ball out fast.

He's a limited athlete that has trouble avoiding the rush.

In summary, those who hate on his ability to be a winning prospect really need to watch the tape.

1. Here's Bucky Brooks breaking down "Why AJ McCarron is Better Than You Think | X's & O's Film Breakdown | NFL Now"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgotbAzeOMM

2. Here's some 2015 Highlights:

I'm telling you, Mccaron surrounded by talent is no HOFer or All pro, but he's definitely can get you 8 wins.

I've been on the Mccaron train for over a year as a solid bridge QB that can buy you 2 years of bench time for your young developing QB to watch from the sidelines.

During those 2 years, Mccaron can get you 7-8 games.

The Jimmy G dream didn't come true....LOL

It's gotta be Tyrod Taylor, Alex Smith, or AJ Mccaron for us this offseason with Sam Bradford being the emergency bridge QB option if all others fall through as he could at least buy us half a season maybe before he gets injured then we'd have to turn to Darnold/Rosen/Mayfield or Kizer.

Out of Tyrod, Alex, and AJ....I'd take AJ Mccaron.

Alex Smith regressed this season and doesn't seem to be a fit in Hue's offense.

Tyrod holds the ball too long but would likely be my second option.

4 hours ago, Mind Character said:

He had a career year. 26 TDs, 5 INT’s, over 4,000 passing yards. All career bests and got to the playoffs. He also completed 67.5% of his passes, 2nd best of his career. He had a really good year.

If he doesn’t fit this 0-16 offense, maybe it’s the offense that needs to change. 

5 hours ago, Mind Character said:

The Jimmy G dream didn't come true....LOL

It's gotta be Tyrod Taylor, Alex Smith, or AJ Mccaron for us this offseason with Sam Bradford being the emergency bridge QB option if all others fall through as he could at least buy us half a season maybe before he gets injured then we'd have to turn to Darnold/Rosen/Mayfield or Kizer.

Out of Tyrod, Alex, and AJ....I'd take AJ Mccaron.

Tyrod holds the ball too long but would likely be my second option.

I'd be happy with AJ or Bradford or Smith though not sure they suit Hue that well, as they are managerish.

1 minute ago, Kiwibrown said:

I'd be happy with AJ or Bradford or Smith though not sure they suit Hue that well, as they are managerish.

Not enough interceptions IYAM.

Ill take Smith. He’s getting better by the year so should have several good years in him; enough to figure out who the next guy is. QB of the an offense that was top 6 both in yards and points. 

Bradford I can do without just because of his yearly health issues and fact he spurned us once.

1 hour ago, NateDawg said:

He had a career year. 26 TDs, 5 INT’s, over 4,000 passing yards. All career bests and got to the playoffs. He also completed 67.5% of his passes, 2nd best of his career. He had a really good year.

If he doesn’t fit this 0-16 offense, maybe it’s the offense that needs to change. 

Yeah I mistakenly left out "toward the end" of the season Alex Smith regressed....not overall.

Obviously, it was a banner year, but there was a reason why the KC faithful started calling for Mahomes, Andy Reid gave up play calling duties, and former scouts did breakdowns (specifically Move the Sticks' Daniel Jeremiah and Bucky Brooks) of Smith reverting back to dink and dunk and missing down the field.

Alex would of course be a huge upgrade and I'd be happy to have him but he's not the scheme fit that Mccaron or Bradford would be.

Ultimately, I welcome proven talent such as his as an upgrade but if I had my choice it would be Mccaron.

Archived