Final Roster Cutdown: 2019

coordinator0

It's weird seeing Mark Thompson completely gone from the team after getting about 20 more touches than De'Lance throughout the preseason. I guess what Turner showed in the end won the team over. Another file in the case of 'Just because a player isn't getting many reps, it doesn't mean they're bad'. Thing is, I think he showed enough to make the practice squad but also enough to get poached by another team when injuries start occurring. We could see Mark Thompson back in the fold shortly, and either he or one of our current 2 on the PS called up if Dixon's injury history is awakened. 

Cyrus Jones is a guy I am very interested in adding to the practice squad.  What happened to him in NE?  Was it simply injuries?  Did he fall out of favor?

If we were to bring him up, I wonder who the most likely cut would be?  Perhaps Janarion Grant?  Jones would be able to serve as the KR/PR and would be able to backup the nickel spot (and work on ST coverage teams).  We would then have 4 WR active with Lasley likely inactive on gameday.  Regarding depth concerns of only 5 WR on the 53, we would also have White on the PS (who I believe is the better WR of the two anyway), the ability to use a lot of 2  and even 3 TE sets and Perriman will likely be available on the street should a need arise (he's at least familiar with the coaches/building).

I know he didn't do much at all in the league to date, but his potential seems far above what we have at RS right now.

According to some almost sane patriots fans, Cyrus Jones tried to do too much on returns and fumbled a couple of times which put him in BB's doghouse.

Then he somehow never really got a grasp on the defense scheme, which also lead to some huge plays, which again put him in BB's doghouse.

And then he got injured last season.

I hope there is still something in him, cause I loved what he was able to do in college. He was one of the few cornerbacks who was good at turning his head finding the football in the air.

1 hour ago, Danand said:

According to some almost sane patriots fans, Cyrus Jones tried to do too much on returns and fumbled a couple of times which put him in BB's doghouse.

Then he somehow never really got a grasp on the defense scheme, which also lead to some huge plays, which again put him in BB's doghouse.

And then he got injured last season.

I hope there is still something in him, cause I loved what he was able to do in college. He was one of the few cornerbacks who was good at turning his head finding the football in the air.

I guess practice squad gives them a chance at an extended evaluation of this point.

Archived