Will The NBA Overtake The NFL Within The Next 10-20 Years?

the lone star

Will The NBA Overtake The NFL Within The Next 10-20 Years?  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Will The NBA Overtake The NFL Within The Next 10-20 Years?

I think like 17/20 of the most viewed programs on TV in 2017 were NFL games. NFL is still king and will be for a long time. I think it will be at least 20 years until we feel the effects of kids choosing not to play football and that would maaaaaybe be the thing to bring down the NFL a few notches. But honestly I think people don't realize how dominant the NFL is. 

But I'm NBA >>>>>> NFL of course. A lot of twitter and the internet is and that makes us think that the NBA is closer to the NFL than it is 

On 8/28/2018 at 9:43 AM, champ11 said:

I think like 17/20 of the most viewed programs on TV in 2017 were NFL games. NFL is still king and will be for a long time. I think it will be at least 20 years until we feel the effects of kids choosing not to play football and that would maaaaaybe be the thing to bring down the NFL a few notches. But honestly I think people don't realize how dominant the NFL is. 

But I'm NBA >>>>>> NFL of course. A lot of twitter and the internet is and that makes us think that the NBA is closer to the NFL than it is 

I think once the NBA figures out a competitive balance where it's not the top 4-5 teams with all the talent will start to shift more towards bball.  Right now damn near every NFL team thinks if things break the right way and/or guys take the next step theres a shot at making a playoff run.  I sure didn't think Denver had the horses to win it all in 2015 and I was proven wrong.  That just doesn't happen in the NBA yet.

15 hours ago, broncofan48 said:

I think once the NBA figures out a competitive balance where it's not the top 4-5 teams with all the talent will start to shift more towards bball.  Right now damn near every NFL team thinks if things break the right way and/or guys take the next step theres a shot at making a playoff run.  I sure didn't think Denver had the horses to win it all in 2015 and I was proven wrong.  That just doesn't happen in the NBA yet.

I don't think there will ever be competitive balance, tbh. There never has been. It's just the nature of basketball where the best players play the majority of the game and both sides of the ball. Only 5 players on a team, the best players just have such a huge impact compared to football. We're also well into an era where players are gaining more power and I don't really see the "superteam" thing ending any time soon. 

Like I really don't think the Nuggets will ever win a title. You kind of have to accept that if you aren't one of the major market teams. The Lakers just dicked around for 5 years and still got to sign LeBron. The small market teams have almost no margin for error. 

No, it will never overtake the NFL.  I'm going to be completely honest, the NBA is a drag and a grind.  82 game seasons are way too much.  There are literally games on every night and if you live on the east coast, the west coast games are on pretty late at night.  When I was in high school and had no responsibilities, sure.  But, working 40 hours a week and having a life pretty much prevents me from watching every game that I want to see.  Whereas with the NFL, following your favorite team is so much easier.  80% of the games are played on Sunday and the other games (Monday night and Thursday night) are not too bad. 

This has nothing to do with the games themselves.  This is just a winning formula for the NFL and the NBA will never be able to duplicate that.

8 hours ago, kyle21121 said:

I honestly think it might some day but that some day isn’t 10-20 years away. It would involve a drastically different football game with many many more ridiculous rule changes so maybe not in our lifetimes but who knows. 

If the NFL moves to an 18 game schedule, expands playoffs to 7-8 teams on each side, and makes gameday rosters bigger, then those would all help it fend off the surging NBA.

Vegas getting a football team is big news, but if they get teams in Portland and Toronto, then that would be epic.

On 9/2/2018 at 9:08 AM, sdrawkcab321 said:

No. The GS dominance will turn people off. 

The lack of parity in general. 

When only 3 teams have even a remote chance to win the title and 1 of them is about 75% chance to do so, yeah it makes the whole thing less exciting.

2 hours ago, Danger said:

The lack of parity in general. 

When only 3 teams have even a remote chance to win the title and 1 of them is about 75% chance to do so, yeah it makes the whole thing less exciting.

It's kind of the nature of the sport though. You essentially have to have a generational player to win a title and that's how it's always been. Obviously the KD to GS  thing has been a fiasco for the league, but even if he stayed at OKC....there are only a handful of teams that could win the chip.

I think the social media/personality aspect of the NBA as opposed to the other pro sports has been huge in drawing in more (younger) fans. There also is so much better information and content to take in as a hardcore fan that just is not available as an NFL fan. Like I know sooooo much more about the NBA than I do about the NFL and that's why I like it so much more now. It's so much tougher to evaluate NFL players and teams than NBA for regular people like me. 

Archived