Preseason Week 4: Los Angeles Chargers at San Francisco 49ers

J-ALL-DAY

Just now, J-ALL-DAY said:

Btw we spend all this time thinking of the last few spots, but good chance one of the released players from another team makes the roster. 

Could very well be especially in the Defensive backfield we can use some better depth.

1 minute ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

No way you cut Armstead, who is clearly superior to both Taylor/Blair right now. Taylor is a lock to make the team, but Blair is the big question mark here. That one can go either way. Probably means keeping one less LB. 

Armstead is definitely better at the point of attack and against the run than Blair, though I do think the latter is the better pass rusher. I've never understood the apparent reticence in giving Blair a chance as a pass rushing option and instead opting for guys like sneezy and Marsh. I mean, Blair only has 5 sacks in his career, but he's only played 450 defensive snaps too. That's not an awful efficiency rate. 

44 minutes ago, Justone2 said:

So basically you say cut Armstead and keep Blair and Taylor?

Chance that James makes the PS is pretty small if i had to guess since we cut him even before the last preseason game. 

No, I'm saying keep Blair only if we trade Armstead or if he's put on IR for some injury. 

1 hour ago, Forge said:

Armstead is definitely better at the point of attack and against the run than Blair, though I do think the latter is the better pass rusher. I've never understood the apparent reticence in giving Blair a chance as a pass rushing option and instead opting for guys like sneezy and Marsh. I mean, Blair only has 5 sacks in his career, but he's only played 450 defensive snaps too. That's not an awful efficiency rate. 

Blair has always been solid when he's gotten time no doubt.

51 minutes ago, 48 1/2ers said:

If the contracts were all equal I might lol Armstead is this years Aaron Lynch. 

I think this one is quite unfair to Armstead. Lynch is no longer here because he never seemed to have any urgency. Armstead is frustratingly injured too often, but I don't question his effort.

You could be making some other comparison between the two, of course. If so, I missed it and apologize. 

You didn't hear? Grant Cohn says Armestead plays like a basketball player and is soft. So that's fact. He soft.  In all seriousness, I've liked the flashes i've seen from Armstead and I think he's more valuable to us on our team then in a trade. And I still think this team should keep Blair, I think he's one of the more versatile and better passrushers we have. 

9 hours ago, John232 said:

Armestead plays like a basketball player

If that's the case, maybe we should move him to TE? Lol

We are so thin there its crazy.. this was a deep TE class too and we didn't take one. Instead we are relying on kittle staying healthy (hasn't happened), celek becoming more than just a guy (unlikely), or one of the two udfas we have to amount to something (haven't been impressed at all with either). I think the best thing to do is use juice in that role. He can block, catch, run with the ball in his hands. He has a lot of what you would look for except for hieght and length which can get over rated. I think he will be used like a TE as a necessity this season. 

Also, let's all agree to stop talking up/brining up anything grant Cohn has to say? He is a crock and a troll who makes things up. He's better off completely ignored. 

Archived