2018/19 Bundesliga Season

roysmyboy31

Bundesliga season is starting this Friday with Bayern Munich hosting Bayer Leverkusen.

Beyond Bayern, I am curious as to how well Dortmund will play under their new manager, Peter Bosz.  Dortmund are currently going through a saga of sorts with Ousmane Dembele after Barca made a bid for him, but I think they will hold on to him.

Also curious as to how RB Leipzig does following a brilliant first season?  And I would expect some surprise teams to contend for European slots since that is what often tends to happen.

I know they are historically unpopular in Germany (so ironic with Bayern dominating everyone financially but w/e) but I always look out for RB Leipzig's results.

I like their transfer structure and I like that they won't be intimidated by the likes of Bayern. Refreshing. 

3 hours ago, texans_uk said:

I know they are historically unpopular in Germany (so ironic with Bayern dominating everyone financially but w/e) but I always look out for RB Leipzig's results.

I like their transfer structure and I like that they won't be intimidated by the likes of Bayern. Refreshing. 

I think the hate for teams like Leipzig and Hoffenheim is pretty annoying. Both teams have great fans and are nothing but an asset to German football but you still have fans acting like they're the death of the Bundesliga. (Like Bayern winning it every year hasn't killed it already)

45 minutes ago, Imarobot said:

I think the hate for teams like Leipzig and Hoffenheim is pretty annoying. Both teams have great fans and are nothing but an asset to German football but you still have fans acting like they're the death of the Bundesliga. (Like Bayern winning it every year hasn't killed it already)

It's not dissimilar to any club with a hugely wealthy owner. People just don't like it when clubs "buy" success, especially when it is a club without any real history. I don't have any real problem with it and another club to challenge Bayern is always a good thing in my book.

I honestly completely forgot Tuchel is no longer at Dortmund. I have a feeling they are going to struggle this year. I'm very intrigued to see what Nagelsmann has in store this season at Hoffenheim, if he has another good season it is hard to see him being at the club for long. 

think Dortmund at top strength, excluding Reus could look like

Dembele-Auba-Pulisic

Guerrero- Weigl - Dahoud

Schmel- Toprak- Sokratis- Pizcek

Burki

Castro, Gotze, Rode, Bartra, Schurrle, Durm, Passlack, Sahin, Phillipp, Kagawa, Isak as depth

Liked the Dahoud and Toprak signings. Think Pizcek is fading though so hope Passlack can step up. If the early goings are any indication seems like Sahin will play a bigger role this year. 

Edited by amac

3 hours ago, LeeEvans said:

It's not dissimilar to any club with a hugely wealthy owner. People just don't like it when clubs "buy" success, especially when it is a club without any real history. I don't have any real problem with it and another club to challenge Bayern is always a good thing in my book.

I honestly completely forgot Tuchel is no longer at Dortmund. I have a feeling they are going to struggle this year. I'm very intrigued to see what Nagelsmann has in store this season at Hoffenheim, if he has another good season it is hard to see him being at the club for long. 

Yep, It's all about 'tradition', even though nobody can properly explain what they even mean with that. Hoffenheim has a long history aswell, but apparently the involvment of an investor deletes the history and the tradition. People also have a hard time to admit that their beloved traditional clubs getting beat by Hoffenheim and Leipzig isn't just down to the money, but the strategy they have, whereas some big clubs just waste their opportunities to become a real force, HSV is a prime example of that.

Leipzig are a bit different though, their whole setup is quite unique. The way they ship the players around between Leipzig and Salzburg is rather questionable though, as well as the fact that both clubs are allowed to play international. Imagine if they face each other? On the other hand, Rangnick is simply very good at using the weaknesses of the system and making it look like everything is fine while they basically do what they want. Also, he's a massive **** :D

Hasenhüttl is brilliant though. Would love to see him at an other club. Been incredibly successful everywhere he's been so far. Very likeable fella aswell. Could see them really challenge Bayern this season if they weren't in the CL, the additional games could hurt them. Bayern look relatively weak, but unfortunately there (still) is noone close to them. Not sure anyone has improved that much to kick one of last seasons Top 4 out. Hoffenheim will definitely be interesting to watch. Nagelsmann is nailed on(quite the joke) to take over at Bayern after Ancelotti. Leverkusen look horrible, Schalke are still a bit chaotic, haven't really improved and a young coach, bad combination. Gladbach perhaps the biggest challenger for Top 4. 

Weston McKinnie started for Schalke today in their German Cup game... combination of their opponent being a lower divison team and Schalke dealing with injuries in midfield, but it's a great sign nonetheless that they're treating him as one of their top youth prospects.

Will be interesting to see how much playing time he can get this season, if he does break into a rotational role with them it would be hard to leave him off the World Cup squad next year. 

1 hour ago, texans_uk said:

Last night was another example of Bayern killing the Bundesliga. 

Niklas Süle

Sebastian Rudy

Two important players for Hoffenheim last season. Both now Bayern players. 

How are others expected to compete? 

By getting purchased by a sports drink company. Monster Berlin anyone?

Bayern took care of Leverkusen 3-1 in the opening game of the season.  Really good debut for Corentin Tolisso.  Had a goal and two other chances.  Very noticeable.  

Was a period of the 2nd half where Leverkusen were exposing Bayern's backline, but that might have had a lot to do with being up 3-0.

6 minutes ago, roysmyboy31 said:

Bayern took care of Leverkusen 3-1 in the opening game of the season.  Really good debut for Corentin Tolisso.  Had a goal and two other chances.  Very noticeable.  

Was a period of the 2nd half where Leverkusen were exposing Bayern's backline, but that might have had a lot to do with being up 3-0.

Pretty surprised he started right off the bat. 

2 minutes ago, LeeEvans said:

Pretty surprised he started right off the bat. 

Tolisso is an impressive young player who I expect will get plenty of PT this year.  Thiago being injured and Carlo playing with 3 mids pretty much ensured he would play today.

Kimmich and Rudy were also pretty good.

3 minutes ago, roysmyboy31 said:

Tolisso is an impressive young player who I expect will get plenty of PT this year.  Thiago being injured and Carlo playing with 3 mids pretty much ensured he would play today.

Kimmich and Rudy were also pretty good.

Ah didn't realize Thiago was injured. I really want to make an effort to watch more Bundesliga this year but it's tough fitting in so many matches. I think I just need to start recording games and watching them throughout the week.