2018/19 Bundesliga Season

roysmyboy31

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Bayern in a lot of trouble right now.  Can't even dominate lower level BL teams anymore.  Just dropped points against bottom side Dusseldorf.  Defense is a mess and offense has looked uninspired for much of the year.  Kovac looks like he is in over his head.  Our board deserves this for not investing properly in the squad and continuing to think that older players like Robbery and Boateng/Hummels can continue to carry the team.

On 11/24/2018 at 11:03 AM, roysmyboy31 said:

Bayern in a lot of trouble right now.  Can't even dominate lower level BL teams anymore.  Just dropped points against bottom side Dusseldorf.  Defense is a mess and offense has looked uninspired for much of the year.  Kovac looks like he is in over his head.  Our board deserves this for not investing properly in the squad and continuing to think that older players like Robbery and Boateng/Hummels can continue to carry the team.

kovac definitely seems like he's a tad over his head, but i don't think he should be replaced. you don't wanna just fire him immediately and have to turn to jupp again. worst case you re-evaluate in the offseason unless you completely bottom out.  

like you mentioned in your latter point, you can't dominate in one of the toughest teams in the world with starters like ribery and robben. even muller looks like he doesn't belong at bayern anymore. 

the board needs to wake up and purchase some top flight talent or they're going to remain where they are, fighting as one of the top teams in a very good league. 

ridiculous they didn't invest more after the surplus from costa, vidal, and rudy

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Well, It was a pretty forgettable year for Bayern (were awful for their standards) and the Bundesliga is down this year, but Bayern does secure their seventh straight title.  Ribery and Robben both signed off with goals in the last game they will play for Bayern in front of the home fans.  Hard to script a better ending for them.  They have been past it for 2 years now, but their legacy they leave at Bayern is incredible and I will really miss them.

Only thing left to do is win the Pokal next week and sack Kovac after.  We need a manager that has an actual plan attack-wise if Bayern want to return to the European elite.  This is a crucial summer for Bayern to overhaul their squad, which is desperately needed.

• 1 month later...
On ‎5‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 1:35 PM, roysmyboy31 said:

Well, It was a pretty forgettable year for Bayern (were awful for their standards) and the Bundesliga is down this year, but Bayern does secure their seventh straight title.  Ribery and Robben both signed off with goals in the last game they will play for Bayern in front of the home fans.  Hard to script a better ending for them.  They have been past it for 2 years now, but their legacy they leave at Bayern is incredible and I will really miss them.

Only thing left to do is win the Pokal next week and sack Kovac after.  We need a manager that has an actual plan attack-wise if Bayern want to return to the European elite.  This is a crucial summer for Bayern to overhaul their squad, which is desperately needed.

Appreciate the re-cap. I just got back from an awesome trip to Munich and want to become a legit fan of Bayern. I have been a growing soccer fan over the past several years (specifically Germany) but I want to take it to the next level. What advice do you have for following the team and watching games? I obviously follow the team on twitter and just bought Fifa 19 to get even more familiar with the roster lol. I'm guessing it will be much easier to watch Champions League games on FS1 versus Bundesliga. Kind of excited the games will be on early.

Back to the team, are people optimistic/excited about the additions of Hernandez and Pavard?

Thanks for helping a noob out!

• 1 month later...

Sorry for the very late reply, but for following a team, I just recommend watching games and seeing if anything connects with you.  I am someone who is proud of their German heritage and Bayern in addition to being a big club in Germany and Europe is also traditionally attractive to German NT players.  Watching them only confirmed that I had a connection with them and have been a Bayern fan since 2007.

Bundesliga games are on Fox (Fs1, Fs2 usually, but Fox will televise the occasional  game) every weekend.  Bayern games are almost always one of the games shown with Borussia Dortmund being the other German team on a lot.

Bayern fans are generally excited about the additions on defense, but are still sorely lacking in attacking depth.  Club legends Franck Ribery and Arjen Robben are no longer with the club after being lynchpins of the attack for the better part of a decade.  Also, James Rodriguez went back to Real Madrid after his loan expired.  Good news is that we obtained Coutinho on a one year loan yesterday, but I am still expecting a bit of a rough year by Bayern standards.  I am hoping to get Leroy Sane from Man City as a star winger and next year get Kai Havertz from Leverkusen or keep Coutinho if he plays up to his talent level.  We could also use a defensive presence in midfield to free up Thiago (our most creative middie) to go forward a little more.

Yesterday was unfortunate.  We were certainly the better side yesterday, but we did not create enough chances in the second half and we switched off twice in defense and paid for it.  Would have lost if not for Lewa.  Gnabry looked good on the right though.  Can't wait to see Coutinho next game.  And the sooner Kovac is out, the better.  Not convinced of his man management or tactics one bit

Thanks for the reply, great news that most games are on Fox. I watched the Super Cup and was entertained, even though Bayern could not break through. I also have been listening the the "Bayern Munchies" podcast which has been solid and a good way to keep up with the team. The defense sounds pretty uninspired. Let's hope with the two new signings and Gnabry coming to life they start to get some momentum. 

I'm a FIFA nut so that Cutinho signing was crucial for me to keep using Bayern online lol. 

• 2 months later...

We sacked Kovac.  Finally, thank god.  He was in so far over his head at Bayern, it wasn't funny.  It was pretty embarrassing to see a club like Bayern sink as low as they have under him.

Would love to get Ten Hag from Ajax for next season, especially considering he has roots at Bayern when he coached the youth team for a few years.  Also would like someone like Pochettino as well.