2018/19 Bundesliga Season

roysmyboy31

6 hours ago, roysmyboy31 said:

We sacked Kovac.  Finally, thank god.  He was in so far over his head at Bayern, it wasn't funny.  It was pretty embarrassing to see a club like Bayern sink as low as they have under him.

Would love to get Ten Hag from Ajax for next season, especially considering he has roots at Bayern when he coached the youth team for a few years.  Also would like someone like Pochettino as well.

May I offer you a slightly used Unai Emery?  Like please.  Take him!

• 1 month later...

Well, that game against Bremen was fun.  Don't watch as much soccer when football season is going, so it was a nice time for me to see a game.  Lewandowski is simply amazing.  Coutinho played well too.  

The offseason will be a pviotal one for Bayern.  In addition to needing a new manager, the roster itself needs a lot of new blood and talent in there.  Sane seems like all but a formality though crazier things have happened.  That would be a great start for sure.

• 2 months later...

I don't get ultras.  So many idiots that immerse themselves in a frequently toxic tribal culture.

These protests aren't the worst things ultras have done across Europe in the name of the club that they claim they love, but it what world are death threats and banners with a person inside crosshairs appropriate?

3 hours ago, drd23 said:

I don't get ultras.  So many idiots that immerse themselves in a frequently toxic tribal culture.

These protests aren't the worst things ultras have done across Europe in the name of the club that they claim they love, but it what world are death threats and banners with a person inside crosshairs appropriate?

Ultras in European football generally are awful but I feel this is an important moment for German football and the official responses have been wildly inappropriate. Comparing protests (perhaps unsavoury) against money ruining a last vestige of community ties to clubs in elite level football to European football's historic and current racism problems is laughable by the DFB. I wish they weren't using crosshairs on Hopp's face but I've got a lot of sympathy and think the German model of fan-ownership is something worth protecting and encouraging. Ultras have a different connection to football than the everyday fan who watches on TV, for the casual fan watching TV (myself included when it comes to German football) I want to see a competitive and fun Bundesliga and money helps that. But ultras don't want that or need it, they need and want their club to represent the views and support the local area. Someone like Hopp and Red Bull are threats to that.

"Perhaps unsavoury" is being very generous.  Death threats (whether explicit or implied) deserve far more condemnation than the fact a guy was allowed to circumvent rules regarding the ownership structure a football team (a decision that was made years ago no less).

1 hour ago, ukjets21 said:

Comparing protests (perhaps unsavoury) against money ruining a last vestige of community ties to clubs in elite level football to European football's historic and current racism problems is laughable by the DFB.

I do agree that the fact that games have been stopped for this but not when players have been subjected to racism shows that they have their priorities wrong on that front.  But that doesn't automatically mean that them sanctioning fans for poor (and in some cases probably criminal) behaviour is wrong.  Two wrongs don't make a right and all that... 

1 hour ago, ukjets21 said:

But ultras don't want that or need it, they need and want their club to represent the views and support the local area. Someone like Hopp and Red Bull are threats to that.

This is part of the problem. Ultras act like they think that they are the only voices that matter and that if you don't agree with them then you can't be a "real fan".  The fact that ultra groups around Europe harbour so many people with bigoted views that are only held by a minority of the general public proves that their opinion shouldn't hold anywhere near the value they think it should. 

6 hours ago, drd23 said:

"Perhaps unsavoury" is being very generous.  Death threats (whether explicit or implied) deserve far more condemnation than the fact a guy was allowed to circumvent rules regarding the ownership structure a football team (a decision that was made years ago no less).

I do agree that the fact that games have been stopped for this but not when players have been subjected to racism shows that they have their priorities wrong on that front.  But that doesn't automatically mean that them sanctioning fans for poor (and in some cases probably criminal) behaviour is wrong.  Two wrongs don't make a right and all that... 

This is part of the problem. Ultras act like they think that they are the only voices that matter and that if you don't agree with them then you can't be a "real fan".  The fact that ultra groups around Europe harbour so many people with bigoted views that are only held by a minority of the general public proves that their opinion shouldn't hold anywhere near the value they think it should. 

I think I'd stress that none of this current wave of protests is a death threat, Hopp, the DFB, and all the fans know this. They're using the crosshairs because it's the symbol Dortmund fans used in the original anti-Hopp protest that got a very punitive sanction the Ultras across Germany disagree with. Unsavoury might be me being over polite but this isn't a credible death threat to Dietmar Hopp. 

Ultras have a strong belief in their own importance and definitely disproportionately so, however there is a lot of wider support for this particular view (and not just in Germany). European football clubs are much more situated in their communities than American sports franchises are. There's a reason the most despised clubs in Germany are probably Hoffenheim and Leipzig. The most despised club in England is probably MK Dons because they were created by moving the existing AFC Wimbledon team to Milton Keynes. The role of owners in clubs and clubs as the toys of the rich is very contested and it needs to be discussed sensibly. 

That said, I'm not for a moment saying that the protests in stands across Germany is a sensible action. It's crude, offensive, and in extremely poor taste (at best). Let's hope that German football fans can use their unusually strong position from the 50+1 rule to pressure the DFB and maybe even UEFA into better protecting local football and the rights of fans in the game, rather than continue with these personalised hate campaigns.

• 2 months later...

Bundesliga to be first league to resume

The German Bundesliga is the first major league in Europe to restart their season after the German government gave them the green light to restart in the second half of May behind closed doors.  Could start as early as May 15, though the week after is also being considered.

As a soccer and Bayern fan, I obviously enjoy hearing that news and that Germany as a whole seems to be managing the crisis pretty well.  For anyone soccer-starved or just sports=starved in general, here is an opportunity for some good viewing.

I'm really excited to have this back on Saturday. I'm a big Borussia Dortmund fan and with a baby, it was something nice to throw on the TV while I was watching him while my wife was getting ready on the weekends. I'm mainly am just excited to have sports back of some sort, sorry Korean Baseball, you don't count cause I'm not getting up that early.

• 1 month later...

Do we think Cowman is going to be the odd man out with Sane joining? So weird to have him but not be able to use him during Champions League, wonder what that does to the team dynamic. Regardless this team appears to be rolling and is the Vegas favorite to win it all (last I checked). 

On 7/7/2020 at 9:15 AM, PaulWall_23 said:

Do we think Cowman is going to be the odd man out with Sane joining? So weird to have him but not be able to use him during Champions League, wonder what that does to the team dynamic. Regardless this team appears to be rolling and is the Vegas favorite to win it all (last I checked). 

Conan has expressed a willingness to stay on and Bayern brass have stated they would like to renew his deal.  Even with Sane, wing depth would still be needed and Coman would fit the bill for that.

• 2 months later...

That game was the first time in ages that I saw Bayern really struggle.  Hoffenheim were excellent today and deserved the win.  4 goals conceded is actually easy on Bayern because Neuer saved some big chances and Hoffenheim fluffed a few as well.  They took advantage of Bayern's high line with balls over the top successfully.  And defensively, they did not allow Bayern to get any rhythm going and closed down space well.  

This is hopefully a sign for our board that we still need to sign more depth for the squad after selling off several pieces from last season's team, most notably Thiago.