Packers trade Brett Hudley QB to Seahawks

49erurtaza

22 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

I wasn't a fan of Hundleymania even going back to his days at UCLA.

You mean Kizer? I don't think anyone saw him as the #1 overall pick in his draft. Not even close.

Hundley has the cheap contract going for him, but that hasn't saved other cheap backup QBs who saw meaningful playing time. I don't think Hundley is much different from any other 3rd string QB.

I guess there is no reason to hate on this. The Packers got something for a guy who had no future on their team, and Seattle got a QB who should be marginally better than the guys they we trotting out there.

No.  I was talking about Brett Hundley.  Prior to his junior year, some thought he was in contention to be the top overall pick.  If you didn't see the tools that Hundley possessed, this discussion isn't going far.  Because he displayed all the tools to play QB at the next level.  He showed the ability to throw at every level of the field, showed good touch, but there were more questions surrounding the finer parts of his game.  Something that didn't really develop in Green Bay.

As for Hundley being much different than any other 3rd string QB, I'd challenge you to make a list of the 3rd string QBs who are demonstrably better than Hundley.  I guarantee you that the list won't be very long if there are any.  You might find someone in the same kind of tier, but he's as good as anyone's 3rd string QB, which means he's probably closer to your QB2, which again goes back to my point that if you want an upper-echelon backup QB, you're spending good money on it.  You're spending somewhere in that $3M-$5M range.  Of the teams spending $3M+ on a backup QB, your list consists of Teddy Bridgewater ($6M, Jets), Nick Foles ($5.5M, Eagles), AJ McCarron ($5M, Bills), Chase Daniel ($5M, Bears), Matt Schaub ($4.5M, Falcons), Mike Glennon ($4M, Cardinals), Chad Henne ($3.4M, Chiefs), Ryan Fitzpatrick ($3.3M, Buccaneers), Drew Stanton ($3.3M, Browns), and Colt McCoy ($3.3M, Redskins).  So when you take out the guys who are competing for a starting QB, or have shown that they can be a serviceable QB (i.e. Bridgewater, Foles, and McCarron), the list gets a LOT worse.  I mean, is Mike Glennon worth $3M more than Brett Hundley?  Is Chad Henne worth $2.5M more?  No.

14 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

I remember there being a day on this forum where his value was made up to be that of a first round pick and more. I never understood Hundleys praise, but I guess Kizer will be the new Packers backup with undeserved hype. How's he looked?

I mean, based on what he had shown up tot hat point and the going rate of young QBs it wasn't completely insane.  I mean, Matt Schaub fetched a pair of 2nd round picks for what maybe 50 career passes?

EDIT: Correction, ~150 career passes.

Happy for Brett. Good guy and talented QB, doesn’t seem to have it mentally. One thing he excelled at was running. He’s still got potential to be a better backup if the game slows down for him a bit. 

Whether good or bad, Kizers development will be fun to follow 

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

I mean, based on what he had shown up tot hat point and the going rate of young QBs it wasn't completely insane.  I mean, Matt Schaub fetched a pair of 2nd round picks for what maybe 50 career passes?

EDIT: Correction, ~150 career passes.

That's fair but how often to mid to late round picks at QB completely flame out. QBs like Schaub are definitely an exception. Flynn was never moved in a trade so at least GB got something. Flynn showed a lot more too, did he not?

3 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

That's fair but how often to mid to late round picks at QB completely flame out. QBs like Schaub are definitely an exception. Flynn was never moved in a trade so at least GB got something. Flynn showed a lot more too, did he not?

How often do QB prospects as talented as Hundley fall as late as he did?  I mean, this isn't a case where it was a guy who was an UDFA grade that was overselected.  We were talking about him as a potential Day 1 prospect, and he fell into Day 3 because he was a bigger project than most wanted to take.  I'm not saying Hundley would have fetched an early Day 2 pick, but I think at the very least he probably gets a pick in that 3rd or 4th round range at least.  I mean, realistically are you going to draft a better looking QB in that range than what Hundley showed up prior to last year?  No.  As for Flynn, he didn't put up the big numbers against New England and Detroit until his final year with Green Bay, so the question was should they tag and trade him?  And you have to remember, tag and trades are generally frowned upon by the league and not endearing to the player either.  They opted not to, and he signed with the Seahawks.

6 minutes ago, Sacks98 said:

He screwed himself over when he went full political the owners won't ever admit to it though.

Why does everyone insist it's one thing or the other with regards to Kaepernick?  It's a combination of all the issues.

2 hours ago, CWood21 said:

No.  I was talking about Brett Hundley.  Prior to his junior year, some thought he was in contention to be the top overall pick.  If you didn't see the tools that Hundley possessed, this discussion isn't going far.  Because he displayed all the tools to play QB at the next level.  He showed the ability to throw at every level of the field, showed good touch, but there were more questions surrounding the finer parts of his game.  Something that didn't really develop in Green Bay.

As for Hundley being much different than any other 3rd string QB, I'd challenge you to make a list of the 3rd string QBs who are demonstrably better than Hundley.  I guarantee you that the list won't be very long if there are any.  You might find someone in the same kind of tier, but he's as good as anyone's 3rd string QB, which means he's probably closer to your QB2, which again goes back to my point that if you want an upper-echelon backup QB, you're spending good money on it.  You're spending somewhere in that $3M-$5M range.  Of the teams spending $3M+ on a backup QB, your list consists of Teddy Bridgewater ($6M, Jets), Nick Foles ($5.5M, Eagles), AJ McCarron ($5M, Bills), Chase Daniel ($5M, Bears), Matt Schaub ($4.5M, Falcons), Mike Glennon ($4M, Cardinals), Chad Henne ($3.4M, Chiefs), Ryan Fitzpatrick ($3.3M, Buccaneers), Drew Stanton ($3.3M, Browns), and Colt McCoy ($3.3M, Redskins).  So when you take out the guys who are competing for a starting QB, or have shown that they can be a serviceable QB (i.e. Bridgewater, Foles, and McCarron), the list gets a LOT worse.  I mean, is Mike Glennon worth $3M more than Brett Hundley?  Is Chad Henne worth $2.5M more?  No.

Hackenburg was regarded as the top after what? His freshman year? Curtis Painter was considered a first round pick. Lots of QBs get overhyped for a multitude of reasons and Hundley was JAG on that list before he was JAG in general.

As for 3rd string QBs I'd take over Hundley: Josh Allen, Josh McCown, RG3, Drew Stanton, Luke Falk, EJ Manuel, Geno Smith, Nate Sudfeld, Kyle Lauletta, Matt Cassel, Kyle Sloter, Mike Glennon.

Some have less of a resume than Hundley but I believe hold more potential. Some noticeably cost more. I'd say Hundley is in the same tier as guys like Paxton Lynch, David Fales, Jeff Driskel etc.

Just now, SteelKing728 said:

Hackenburg was regarded as the top after what? His freshman year? Curtis Painter was considered a first round pick. Lots of QBs get overhyped for a multitude of reasons and Hundley was JAG on that list before he was JAG in general.

As for 3rd string QBs I'd take over Hundley: Josh Allen, Josh McCown, RG3, Drew Stanton, Luke Falk, EJ Manuel, Geno Smith, Nate Sudfeld, Kyle Lauletta, Matt Cassel, Kyle Sloter, Mike Glennon.

Some have less of a resume than Hundley but I believe hold more potential. Some noticeably cost more. I'd say Hundley is in the same tier as guys like Paxton Lynch, David Fales, Jeff Driskel etc.

I'd make the argument that Brett Hundley was better than Christian Hackenberg was in their final years at their respective schools.  And there's a HUGE difference between investing a 2nd round pick like was with Hackenberg and a 5th round pick. 

As for your list, Josh Allen is the Bills' #2 QB.  If you have Nathan Peterman as top 2 on your DC and you're a HC, you deserve to get fired on the spot.  McCown was signed as the starting QB.  The rest of your list are all guys who you could argue could be better than Hundley.  None again are demonstrably better than Hundley.  But thanks for playing.  It's literally an arbitrary list you've made.

25 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

El oh el

what makes GB's current coaching any better than what Seattle has? I don't see it.

Even the long time argument that McCarthy made Rodgers doesn't hold when Brohm, Tolzien, Harrell, Callahan, Williams, Hill and now Hundley haven't developed into anything. McCarthy's greatest success outside Rodgers is Matt Flynn.

1 minute ago, SteelKing728 said:

what makes GB's current coaching any better than what Seattle has? I don't see it.

Even the long time argument that McCarthy made Rodgers doesn't hold when Brohm, Tolzien, Harrell, Callahan, Williams, Hill and now Hundley haven't developed into anything. McCarthy's greatest success outside Rodgers is Matt Flynn.

Take away any franchise's QB position, and they're going to suffer.  Unless you're the Eagles and getting insane production out of Nick Foles, you're going to suffer if you lose your franchise QB.  In the 12 years that McCarthy has been HC, they've had two losing seasons.  Pete Carroll has had 2 losing seasons 8 years.  12 > 8...

Archived