Brett Hundley traded to Seattle

WiscFan3

Just now, {Family Ghost} said:

Thank god.  I'm digging Gute ... pretty aggressive, and it seems like he's clearly willing to use all angles to improve this team.  

The Packers pro personnel department has come out of hibernation and is doing some work.

Getting a little treasure for your "trash" for the second time in a matter of days really shows there is a new GM in town and his name is Gute.

Just now, Green19 said:

Hmmm I wonder if GB could of gotten more value out of the compensatory pick process.

My reason for keeping Hundley is you get another year of a backup that knows the system and when he leaves teams might be willing to overspend money wise as there is no picks involved. Curious to see what his next contract is and what that would of netted GB in a comp pick and if that’s better or worse then a 6th rounder.

The problem is the Packers have to net lose more than they're gaining.  Assuming they actually do manage to re-sign Clay Matthews, I'm not sure that's a foregone conclusion at this point.  I'm pleased with the return, I don't love it or hate it but it's solid enough.

Just now, TheOnlyThing said:

Getting a little treasure for your "trash" for the second time in a matter of days really shows there is a new GM in town and his name is Gute.

I mean, I wouldn't even say it's that.  It's more about getting a potential long-term asset for someone you weren't planning on re-signing.  It's been clear since last year's draft that the Packers viewed Kizer significantly higher than Hundley, and they weren't going to re-sign so might as well open up a roster spot and get another pick.

On an unrelated note, the Seachickens have dealt their 2nd and 6th round pick already.  They'll probably deal another mid-round pick in a futile attempt to make the playoffs, so they could be a team who looks to trade down if the Packers wanted to move up next draft.

Just now, CWood21 said:

I mean, I wouldn't even say it's that.  It's more about getting a potential long-term asset for someone you weren't planning on re-signing.  It's been clear since last year's draft that the Packers viewed Kizer significantly higher than Hundley, and they weren't going to re-sign so might as well open up a roster spot and get another pick.

If they truly viewed Kizer higher than Hundley then why was Hundley getting the pre-season starts? Just to set up this trade?  

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

The problem is the Packers have to net lose more than they're gaining.  Assuming they actually do manage to re-sign Clay Matthews, I'm not sure that's a foregone conclusion at this point.  I'm pleased with the return, I don't love it or hate it but it's solid enough.

I don’t hate it either... honestly they clearly liked kizer (both in last year’s draft and this training camp).

Just something interesting to follow in the future, with how crazy QB contracts can be. I mean Green Bay used a 5th rounder on Hundley... so they almost got an equal return on him.

Just now, eyecatcher said:

If they truly viewed Kizer higher than Hundley then why was Hundley getting the pre-season starts? Just to set up this trade?  

Probably a combination of things.  Familiarity with the playbook, more of a veteran, etc.  I'm not sure it was any one thing.  I'm sure they definitely were playing him to audition him. But I also don't think we're having this discussion if Boyle doesn't play well.

Just now, Green19 said:

I don’t hate it either... honestly they clearly liked kizer (both in last year’s draft and this training camp).

Just something interesting to follow in the future, with how crazy QB contracts can be. I mean Green Bay used a 5th rounder on Hundley... so they almost got an equal return on him.

Pretty much.  They drafted him for incredible value, got 3 years to try and develop him, and despite him not living up to the hype, they got good return on their investment.

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

Probably a combination of things.  Familiarity with the playbook, more of a veteran, etc.  I'm not sure it was any one thing.  I'm sure they definitely were playing him to audition him. But I also don't think we're having this discussion if Boyle doesn't play well.

Great point about Boyle.  

Archived