Jump to content
ramssuperbowl99

Mychal Kendricks Charged with Insider Trading; Released by Browns; Signed by Seahawks

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, buno67 said:

Still you look at AP. Accepts a plea deal for his issue and gets suspended for a year. 

Dude gets busted for a pretty major federal crime and the league won’t touch it. The league should touch it since it happened when he was a player, was found guilty as a player, admitted guilt as a player. The league should step in. They really want to take a stance on how player conduct themselves off the field. Any time they do something illegal they should be punished. White collar crime or not. He should have been put on the exempt/commissioner list. Bad look by the NFL

Actually, I read he is not eligible for that list because that list specifically requires it to be a violent crime.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

Feel free to discuss how the signing will affect Mychal and the Seahawks, or even Kaepernick's merits on the football field.

But as soon as I see the discussion swing towards a discussion about why Eric Reid and Colin Kaepernick are unsigned is when I'm going to have to lock this thread.

How it will affect Mychal: He gets to play football while awaiting sentencing for a crime he committed. What an opportunity!

How it will affect the Seahawks: They get to sign a player awaiting sentencing and enjoy the distraction of having people talk about why they're signing a literal criminal but couldn't sign other players they deemed "distractions". Now they have to deal with that additional media attention, and distractions (the irony) which will take away from preparing for the Bears on Monday night.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

Actually, I read he is not eligible for that list because that list specifically requires it to be a violent crime.

Where did you read this? Players that have commited violent crimes have been put on the list but it’s not just for that tho. I did a quick google search and the stuff that came up said nothiNg about it. Just a power the commissioner has but is something that has to be approved by the players unions before they can be placed on the list

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would say it's a disgrace that an active criminal is being allowed to play football with no objection from Goodell. (Further evidence of his plastic morality; he'll only punish players for hot-button issues that make the shield look bad.) But nothing really surprises me in this league anymore. Best case scenario is that Seattle gets blistered in the sports media and learns their lesson, and Kendricks is sentenced before he can play his way right out of the controversy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, buno67 said:

Where did you read this? Players that have commited violent crimes have been put on the list but it’s not just for that tho. I did a quick google search and the stuff that came up said nothiNg about it. Just a power the commissioner has but is something that has to be approved by the players unions before they can be placed on the list

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/08/29/mychal-kendricks-admission-of-insider-trading-puts-nfl-in-an-awkward-spot/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, buno67 said:

Still you look at AP. Accepts a plea deal for his issue and gets suspended for a year. 

Dude gets busted for a pretty major federal crime and the league won’t touch it. The league should touch it since it happened when he was a player, was found guilty as a player, admitted guilt as a player. The league should step in. They really want to take a stance on how player conduct themselves off the field. Any time they do something illegal they should be punished. White collar crime or not. He should have been put on the exempt/commissioner list. Bad look by the NFL

Adrian Peterson's suspension was child abuse, so it's going to provoke a lot more reaction since the media is going to say "NFL player abuses child". But non-violent crime or not, this is within the league's power to address and they should address it because the vehicle for the bribery was in part NFL tickets. That's 100% work-related. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, TheKillerNacho said:

This is what I have been reading  

 

Here's a full description of the Reserve/Commissioner Exempt List directly from the NFL Player Personnel Policy Manual:

The Exempt List is a special player status available to clubs only in unusual circumstances. The List includes those players who have been declared by the Commissioner to be temporarily exempt from counting within the Active List limit. Only the Commissioner has the authority to place a player on the Exempt List; clubs have no such authority, and no exemption, regardless of circumstances, is automatic. The Commissioner also has the authority to determine in advance whether a player's time on the Exempt List will be finite or will continue until the Commissioner deems the exemption should be lifted and the player returned to the Active List.

———

It is crazy that the league doesn’t have anything in place for a situation like this. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, buno67 said:

This is what I have been reading  

 

Here's a full description of the Reserve/Commissioner Exempt List directly from the NFL Player Personnel Policy Manual:

The Exempt List is a special player status available to clubs only in unusual circumstances. The List includes those players who have been declared by the Commissioner to be temporarily exempt from counting within the Active List limit. Only the Commissioner has the authority to place a player on the Exempt List; clubs have no such authority, and no exemption, regardless of circumstances, is automatic. The Commissioner also has the authority to determine in advance whether a player's time on the Exempt List will be finite or will continue until the Commissioner deems the exemption should be lifted and the player returned to the Active List.

———

It is crazy that the league doesn’t have anything in place for a situation like this. 

Yeah, I don't know. I just remember reading it, didn't really look into it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Adrian Peterson's suspension was child abuse, so it's going to provoke a lot more reaction since the media is going to say "NFL player abuses child". But non-violent crime or not, this is within the league's power to address and they should address it because the vehicle for the bribery was in part NFL tickets. That's 100% work-related. 

Exactly. I don’t know how they are trying to wash there hands from this. They let the legal system handle this situation but when it comes to other things, they don’t care what the legal system does, they take the matter into their own hands. They shouldn’t be selective. If I was a player who was popped by the league even tho nothing from the legal system was handed down, I would almost try and go after the league/commissioner 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, buno67 said:

Exactly. I don’t know how they are trying to wash there hands from this. They let the legal system handle this situation but when it comes to other things, they don’t care what the legal system does, they take the matter into their own hands. They shouldn’t be selective. If I was a player who was popped by the league even tho nothing from the legal system was handed down, I would almost try and go after the league/commissioner 

I mean, sure, if your goal with a discipline procedure is to outline and ensure there are uniform standards, it silly. If your goal is to react to public outcry to save face, but really you don't care about discipline, then this makes sense.

I 100% think the NFL should be getting involved. I know there were takes after AP got suspended that it wasn't a league issue, but imagine if instead of a switch he took a plastic NFL logo and started whipping his kid with it. Changes things right? Same thing applies here. If the bribes were straight cash, maybe you say, "not a violent crime, not related", but this scheme worked in part because of Kendricks' status as an NFL player.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So basically he bought stock information for Eagle tickets?

Edited by Sacks98

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, turtle28 said:

You must not have been alive in the 60s or 70s or seen an NFL films video of the hair styles then. Every African American had an Afro. It ain’t the hair, 😂 

Obvious joke is obvious.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

How it will affect Mychal: He gets to play football while awaiting sentencing for a crime he committed. What an opportunity!

How it will affect the Seahawks: They get to sign a player awaiting sentencing and enjoy the distraction of having people talk about why they're signing a literal criminal but couldn't sign other players they deemed "distractions". Now they have to deal with that additional media attention, and distractions (the irony) which will take away from preparing for the Bears on Monday night.

Why the hell would they sign a backup to Wilson who would bring extremely unnecessary distractions to the team? He is not a position of need on this roster. So the distraction would just be a distraction. I dont like the signing of Kendricks but with K.J. Wright and Wagner both injured, Cilatro being a 2nd year man, and Griffin being god awful it makes sense to deal with the distraction. Have your beef with Buffalo or TB or Miami who have a need for a QB competition. 

 

Or better yet. Get over the fact the Kaep sucks at football and needed a steller defense and a run heavy offense to be somewhat successful in this league.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, buno67 said:

Still you look at AP. Accepts a plea deal for his issue and gets suspended for a year. 

Dude gets busted for a pretty major federal crime and the league won’t touch it. The league should touch it since it happened when he was a player, was found guilty as a player, admitted guilt as a player. The league should step in. They really want to take a stance on how player conduct themselves off the field. Any time they do something illegal they should be punished. White collar crime or not. He should have been put on the exempt/commissioner list. Bad look by the NFL

Right, a DUI or pot possession charge usually warrants a couple of games.  This guy makes millions of dollars illegally and people act like it's an injustice that the Browns cut him in the first place.  Meanwhile the NFL acts like it doesn't even care.  This is just more proof in the pudding that they're making it up as they go

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, footbull3196 said:

Right, a DUI or pot possession charge usually warrants a couple of games.  This guy makes millions of dollars illegally and people act like it's an injustice that the Browns cut him in the first place.  Meanwhile the NFL acts like it doesn't even care.  This is just more proof in the pudding that they're making it up as they go

Imo neither should be suspended. If a player has to serve extended jail time, they would miss those games but once they’re good with society and served their time they should be allowed to work for whomever wants to employ them, just like the rest of us. The nfl suspension system is awful, the nflpa screwed the pooch by allowing Goddell and the league office be judge, jury and executioner. If I was a player and they wouldn’t do away with it, I’d strike them over it. A player shouldn’t be suspended over an accusation and when they’ve never even served jail time. It’s fresking ridiculous.

Cant we just go back to the Taglibue and Rozelle days? Heck Ray Lewis covered up a double murder and played the next year.

Edited by turtle28

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×