Aaron Rodgers Agrees To New Deal

packfanfb

3 minutes ago, pacman5252 said:

I just hope he doesn't walk away or complain in 2 years after he gets his up front money

He has said in the past that he is content with the contracts he has signed regardless with what happens elsewhere. He seems to understand the definition of a contract

3 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

LIS, until we see the structure of the deal we won't know for sure.  Right now, we're purely speculating.  All we know is he got $134M in new money, and he's making ~$80M in March.

Yes but have you ever seen a deal where 60% of the total was SB? Safe to assume that's not the case.

3 minutes ago, pacman5252 said:

Time changes things. After all, he did work to get a pay bump with 2 years left on his old deal

Yes, but this new deal came from both sides. My point is that Rodgers has voiced his content with deals he has signed in the past and he isn't going to Kahlil Mack the Packers

With the big up front money being reported, it  doesn make it sound like they'll try to really go draft and develop in 2019 (also really don't have any major FAs). Then in 2020 when AR's cap number is more reasonable, they can dip in FA, and extend Clark (could be a 15M player by that point)

1 minute ago, Packerraymond said:

Yes but have you ever seen a deal where 60% of the total was SB? Safe to assume that's not the case.

@CWood21 likes to wait.  I don't.  More fun to jump the gun and be right/wrong than to take a measured view having all the facts.

I think we got a good not great deal here.  I think Rodgers got 33.5/year which would be 18.5% of this year's cap, but he didn't get that until 2 years from now, which should be a higher number.

I don't think we got a great deal because we GTD $100M (basically 5 years) to a 34 year old player who will be 39 before we can move on.  Guys are lasting longer, but Rodgers hasn't been the paragon of health at QB like Brees or Brady or even Eli Manning.  The guy gets hurt and hasn't shown any tendency to adapting his play style to reduce injury.

Here's the tidbit:

57.5 bonus, 66.9 by end of 2018 means his salary for 2018 is 9.4M.  Plus the prorated 57.5/5 is another 10.1M which pretty much adds up to the 19M he had on the cap for this year.

So i'm not sure this saves much of anything unless the bonus doesn't count till 2020 and it's only spread over those 4 years.

7 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

I wasn't saying it's likely, merely reading the words as is.  Rodgers' cap hit is something like $20M this year, and I think the signing bonus is somewhere in that $8M range I think (Spotrac is overloaded right now).  So you subtract the difference, and you're talking about something in the neighborhood of $70M.  50% of the cap isn't totally unreasoanble IMO.

1 minute ago, skibrett15 said:

Here's the tidbit:

57.5 bonus, 66.9 by end of 2018 means his salary for 2018 is 9.4M.  Plus the prorated 57.5/5 is another 10.1M which pretty much adds up to the 19M he had on the cap for this year.

So i'm not sure this saves much of anything unless the bonus doesn't count till 2020 and it's only spread over those 4 years.

Will for sure depend on when the proration kicks in, like you said we'll definitely save this year and next if it's not until the new money kicks in.

1 minute ago, skibrett15 said:

Here's the tidbit:

That's the part we know now.  Adds an extra $11.5M unless they moved more of his money around.  Didn't realize that this was the first year his SB from his previous contract wasn't in there.  So it's possible they turned his base salary into a signing bonus.

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

I wasn't saying it's likely, merely reading the words as is.  Rodgers' cap hit is something like $20M this year, and I think the signing bonus is somewhere in that $8M range I think (Spotrac is overloaded right now).  So you subtract the difference, and you're talking about something in the neighborhood of $70M.  50% of the cap isn't totally unreasoanble IMO.

He has no bonus on this year's cap.  It's 500k workout and 19.8M salary and a tiny roster bonus.

As Rapoport reports its 58M signing bonus.

Archived