Aaron Rodgers Agrees To New Deal

packfanfb

39 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

I'd rather win a SB or two and got 4-12 for a couple of years after Rodgers and rebuild than repeat the last 8 years of consistently good, championship-less football.

Taking greater chances to win a SB or two while also risking dropping the Pack out of playoff contention versus exercising extreme prudence in order to maximize the chances of fielding a consistent playoff team that just might win a SB.

This has been the central conflict in the Packers organization over the past 7 seasons.

For years after the 2010 SB win, there was much talk about "Rodgers is still young," there is no need to go "all in," got to draft and develop our own and other platitudes that all amounted to support for the exercising extreme prudence model of roster building.,

Well after so many years of exercising extreme prudence, Rodgers ain't young any more and not enough homegrown talent got developed .

Gute seems far more interested in trying to win another Super Bowl than celebrating another NFC North crown/playoff appearance.

Consequently, I think Gute will continue to take more and greater chances to get the Pack back to the big game than what fans have become accustomed to.

1 hour ago, packfanfb said:

My thoughts as well. Gute just had that Q&A basically the day before Rodgers' deal when he was talking about being able to afford two players of that caliber and price range. Obviously, he pretty much knew at that point what the Rodgers deal was going to be. So unless he's just completely full of it and doing nothing but appeasing the fans by saying "yea, I think we could do this," then obviously, the Packers have already talked about ways in which they can do it and would feel comfortable doing it. 

Wait. I read that whole q and a I think and I don't remember him saying anything like that lol. You're reading too much into ****

Just now, Norm said:

Wait. I read that whole q and a I think and I don't remember him saying anything like that lol. You're reading too much into ****

Which part? I posted the part in the Mack thread about his comments about getting unique players and being able to afford a top paid QB like Rodgers and a top-paid D player like Mack. 

I've got a feeling....

Rodgers is going to have an MVP kind of year. 

Two of our shiny, new, young receivers will flourish.

Graham will find chemistry with A Rod by mid-season and they'll be unstoppable.

Super Bowl?  Keeping that feeling/opinion close for now....

Just now, Sasquatch said:

I've got a feeling....

I hope Aaron is hands down the obvious MVP, but doesn't get it because somebody like Ezekiel Elliot has 2,300 rushing yards and 20 touchdowns and they decide to give it to them. 

That would be so glorious for two reasons:

1. Give Rodgers that angry chip.
2. MVP winners don't win Super Bowls. 

Before people rip off my head and poop down my throat for that hot take, I believe that like 47%.  I believe there's more to it than people give credit to it.  I don't think it's a curse or anything.  It's an Ian Malcolm type Chaos Theory where it's not a curse, but there are non-linear equations at work that factor into it.  Such as other teams' expectations of playing the MVP winner's team, the MVP winner carrying their team and thus their team not being as good as him (great offensive performance due to necessity of a bad defense), etc. 

39 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

I hope Aaron is hands down the obvious MVP, but doesn't get it because somebody like Ezekiel Elliot has 2,300 rushing yards and 20 touchdowns and they decide to give it to them. 

Before people rip off my head and poop down my throat for that hot take, I believe that like 47%.  I believe there's more to it than people give credit to it.  I don't think it's a curse or anything.  It's an Ian Malcolm type Chaos Theory where it's not a curse, but there are non-linear equations at work that factor into it.  Such as other teams' expectations of playing the MVP winner's team, the MVP winner carrying their team and thus their team not being as good as him (great offensive performance due to necessity of a bad defense), etc. 

I can't rip off your head and poop down your throat as that will have to wait for the morning...

I will however leave you with this thought- Brett Favre 1996.

Just now, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

I can't rip off your head and poop down your throat as that will have to wait for the morning...

I will however leave you with this thought- Brett Favre 1996.

Yeah, there have been some.  Kurt Warner did it in 99 as well.  Kurt Warner was the last one to do it though.  That's 18 years.  That's a lot of years. 

4 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

I can’t disagree with the odds - you make a good point.  If he does get it, I hope it’s because it’s so blatantly obvious he’s the MVP - that there’s just no debate by anyone (except the haters), and there are no other players even close.  Then again, if it’s close, and they give it to him, and everyone ******* about it, it might actually work to fuel Rodgers into the Super Bowl.  I guess it would play into your point #1 above - an angry Rodgers with a chip on his shoulder is a very dangerous man.

So, now that the deal is done, all the Rodgers haters are coming out in full force.  I’ve always wondered if the Rodgers hate is fueled by jealousy of the guy, or, if Rodgers has somehow brought some of this on himself?  I’m biased, so I don’t see his demeanor as off-putting, but I can see how his style and greatness could certainly make some football fans dislike him.  But my question remains - do they hate because of his greatness, his personality, or both?  

I ask, because I’ve read comments from fans of other teams - even fans from rival teams - who don’t trash the guy and straight up respect him!  Maybe there’s just a lot of weak, spineless, insecure people in the world.  I don’t know.

Archived