Jets trade QB Bridgewater to Saints

Dome

Just now, navysaintsfan said:

I'm happy with this, especially since he looks healthy now. If he holds up, he can be the guy for the future in my eyes.

I love the move. Even if it's a 2nd, we got a guy who can play with great talent around him. Even if he's just a stopgap on a 3-4 year resigning its a good move. 

Remember the last time we acquired a Pro Bowl QB coming off a major injury that was pushed away from their former team due to them spending a high 1st round pick on another QB :D

Okay maybe I'm getting a little ahead of myself here comparing us acquiring Bridgewater after the Jets drafted Darnold to us acquiring Brees after the Chargers drafted Rivers, but this move does really seem to have a ton of potential upside for us. I've always been really high on Teddy Bridgewater, and still think he can be a franchise QB in this league. Drew Brees is in the twilight of his career, and likely has 1-2 seasons left, which would allow us to groom Teddy as the QB of the future. This seems like an ideal landing spot for Teddy as well. I think he will be a good match with Sean Payton, and it also allows him to be surrounded by a very talented offense with guys like Kamara, Thomas, Ingram, and a very talented OL. I had some concerns going into the season regarding where Bridgewater was from a health standpoint and if he is anywhere near the player he was prior to the injury.

After watching all of his preseason snaps, I must say I'm very optimistic about him being fully recovered and ready to go. Through the preseason so far it appears he has regained his trademark elusiveness making defenders miss several times in the pocket. He also appears to be driving the ball very well on his throws. He was never a guy with a cannon, but it appears he's putting a solid amount of zip on his throws this preseason, and has also shown excellent ball placement on almost all of his throws. Here's video's of pretty much all of his throws so far this preseason:

http://www.nfl.com/m/share?p=%2Fvideos%2Fnfl-game-highlights%2F0ap3000000947104%2FTeddy-Bridgewater-highlights-Preseason-Week-1

http://www.nfl.com/m/share?p=%2Fvideos%2Fnfl-game-highlights%2F0ap3000000948441%2FEvery-Teddy-Bridgewater-throw-Preseason-Week-2

http://www.nfl.com/m/share?p=%2Fvideos%2Fnfl-game-highlights%2F0ap3000000950841%2FEvery-Teddy-Bridgewater-throw-Preseason-Week-3

I wonder if Brees has told the org. this is his last year. I doubt we give up a 3rd for a QB who has 1 year left on his deal. I know it's insurance if something happens to Brees this year, but it's a bloody steep price if he's only here for a year.

IF Brees did say this is his last year, Teddy B gets to sit and learn behind Brees for this year, and takes over the reigns next season and we seamlessly move from franchise QB to franchise QB and continue to contend.

Drew recently stated he has "a plan" for how much longer he'll play. He said he went into last year with the mindset of playing like it was his last. It seems like the people around him know what his plan is too.....

Whether Teddy Bridgewater will be Drew's successor or not, this is probably the best first step in that direction.

33 minutes ago, NS922 said:

Drew recently stated he has "a plan" for how much longer he'll play. He said he went into last year with the mindset of playing like it was his last. It seems like the people around him know what his plan is too.....

Whether Teddy Bridgewater will be Drew's successor or not, this is probably the best first step in that direction.

Well since we don't have a 1st round pick we can't draft a QB, and it will likely be more difficult to try and bring in a veteran QB that isn't on the roster already anyways.  It's always easier to try and retain a guy you have on your roster already than trying to bring in a player from another team.  Not to mention knowing how he looks in practices with the players you already have on the roster so you aren't taking a blind chance on them.

I'm the guy that has been adamantly against acquiring Bridgewater. In the end of my last conversation with @Dome, I said maybe they know something I don't, which everybody does, a lot, always, man I don't know much...

Anyway, it's a 3rd round, and did I read something about a 6th? If he's half of what he's cracked up to be, for a third-rounder, it's a steal. If he continues to do what I've seen over the last few years at the Vikings, I will be continually upset with this move.

I'm begging to be proven wrong, yet once again.

Archived