Jets trade QB Bridgewater to Saints

Dome

9 minutes ago, Mid Iowa said:

If he continues to do what I've seen over the last few years at the Vikings, I will be continually upset with this move.

I'm begging to be proven wrong, yet once again.

Pepsi Rookie of the Year? Pro Bowler in year two? People were expecting big things from him heading into his 3rd year. These accolades truly mean nothing, but show how he was trending. Not sure where this narrative comes from that he was a bad player for them. Care to expand on what you're seeing or not seeing from him that makes you feel that way? Most people are really looking forward to seeing him come back to form and continue to grow, so your opinion stands out from that.

He's looked sharp in the preseason. He makes good decisions and has good touch. He doesn't have a deep ball like Brees but so much of his job will be getting the ball to Kamara and Thomas on a slant or quick hitch they can work on the deep game. I see a lot of positives from him. Even if he's a good backup for us for a couple of years, that's important and worth the pick to see if he's your QBotF IMO

I like Teddy as a player, and I think worst case he'd be a good stopgap for Brees, but the only thing that really doesn't line up is the contract. Drew's new 2 year deal is probably it for him while Teddy is on a 1 year deal. So either Brees is retiring a year early (possible) or they're gonna have to convince Teddy to re-sign while also being a backup for one more year. 

A third round pick for a quarterback of Teddy's caliber is an absolute steal, IMO.  I'm really glad to see he ended up in a good situation.  Teddy is a good guy and should be a very capable replacement for Drew Brees when he retires.  Congratulations.

This will be a good deal if:

Brees gets hurt this year and Teddy can come keep us competitive and it’s not a wasted season

OR

Brees retires

OR

Brees agrees to be traded (he voids no trade clause in this contract if we find a team he’d be OK playing for)

OR 

Brees regresses a lot or his arm looks shot and we think he’s holding back the offense (not likely) 

OR

Teddy is OK playing backup for 2 years to get a great gig

Lots of ways it can go right for us. I love the move, we need to re-sign him ASAP though 

13 minutes ago, Dome said:

This will be a good deal if:

Brees gets hurt this year and Teddy can come keep us competitive and it’s not a wasted season

OR

Brees retires

OR

Brees agrees to be traded (he voids no trade clause in this contract if we find a team he’d be OK playing for)

OR 

Brees regresses a lot or his arm looks shot and we think he’s holding back the offense (not likely) 

OR

Teddy is OK playing backup for 2 years to get a great gig

Lots of ways it can go right for us. I love the move, we need to re-sign him ASAP though 

And if Teddy does leave after this season there is a possibility we could receive a compensatory pick. 

Just now, JMG5 said:

And if Teddy does leave after this season there is a possibility we could receive a compensatory pick. 

This is true. We have a good amount of homegrown talent that need deals coming up, I didn’t see us as being major players in FA anyways. If Teddy leaves we have to watch how many guys we sign if we want that pick 

I really liked the move for a few reasons...

1. I think Teddy is a poor mans version of Drew Brees. Hes a quality thrower who can process the game. His intangibles are threw the roof... Great leadership and character qualities. Smart football player with high football IQ.

2. This move isnt made without Sean Payton's fingerprints all over it and the way this orginazation has valued draft picks since Ireland arrived I have to believe that they feel Teddy is more than a 1 year rental. So if Payton feels Teddy could be the guy after Brees, a 3rd rounder is cheap.

3. I also dont believe the front office makes this move without clear insight from Brees himself. I firmly believe Brees will retire after the 2019 season unless we win the Superbowl this year and he goes out on top. Teddy provides the Saints with a starting caliber QB at the backup position but also a clear succession plan if Brees in fact is thinking retirement behind the scenes.

4. Remember Nick Foles... When your in a race for a championship losing your star quarterback to injury isnt an excuse anymore.

5. Backup quarterback was the weakest position on the roster... This move made it one of the strongest.

6. 5 million for a starting caliber backup quarterback is cheap. The fact that hes a free agent after this year makes the 3rd round pick hard to swallow. However, if Brees is in fact closer to the end than we realize... I believe Payton can convince Teddy to resign to be the successor. Even of its not for another 2 years, Teddy is only 25 years old and the 2018 and 2019 season gives Teddy the time needed to master the Sean Payton offense, sit and learn behind a future hall of famer and work with one of the best offensive minds in the game who obviously believes in you. He will also see the Saints roster is stacked with elite young talent he can win with and one of the best offensive lines in football. The time also gives Teddy to truly recover from his leg injury. The Saints can easily sign Teddy this offseason to a multi year deal that is team friendly in the first year or two of the contract to allow for yet another year behind Brees and if Teddy opts to walk for a big contract, the Saints likley get a comp pick in the 4th-5th round range.

7. I actually feel Teddy skill set is a great fit with the style of offense we now run and I know he will be an asset in the quarterback room. Teddy is a good smart kid who will realize that hes in a unique position to potentially extend his career in New Orleans beyond Brees.

For all these reasons Im very happy with the trade... It will be intresting to see what happens with Teddys contract situation moving forward but the Saints got a real good player at the most important position on the field for the cost of swaping draft position from the 3rd round to the 6th. Even if Teddy is a rental he will have done more for the Saints than former 3rd round pick Garrett Grayson ever did.

14 hours ago, Dome said:

Not sure where this narrative comes from that he was a bad player for them. Care to expand on what you're seeing or not seeing from him that makes you feel that way? Most people are really looking forward to seeing him come back to form and continue to grow, so your opinion stands out from that.

I already did in a prior thread with you, but I'll go again. Just watching him never, ever throw a receiver open bugs me. It's like he doesn't trust a receiver to do their job of winning the point of attack. He averages fewer than 1 TD per game, which is telling. I've been at his games when the entire stadium is yelling "he's open, he's open" only to have Teddy pump pass, then pull down and take (yet another) sack.

I look at his stats as some of the most telling. He averages fewer than 1 TD per game, yet throws for around 3000 yards (which is weird, because he's pretty dang good in the red zone). Takes almost 3 sacks per game (so he can't react to plays quickly, with one of the best O-lines in the league). He's just "okay" at scrambling. I mean, it just seems like he's...slow, all the way around. Mentally, physically... A great athlete, but just slow to recognize.

Let me say, please, that he was (as pointed out at some point) in a defensive minded coaching system, so perhaps his development was hindered. Perhaps he can be remolded and get a better start than he did in Minn.
That said, he's also being compared to a class of QB's that was... average at best. The draft has produced garbage for QB's between 2013 and 2015 (Teddy 2014) so it's no surprise to me that he was "one of the best in years 1 & 2" when his competition was essentially back-up material at best.

I like that he's competitive, in that, when trailing (or the game is close) he's really pretty good, and he's good in the 2 minute offense. When playing with any type of lead, he lacks that killer instinct to pile on, and just becomes a manager, leaving opposing teams a wide open door.

I'll go back to "I hope I'm wrong" and "I hope a different style of coaching can help". 

32 minutes ago, Mid Iowa said:

I already did in a prior thread with you, but I'll go again. Just watching him never, ever throw a receiver open bugs me. It's like he doesn't trust a receiver to do their job of winning the point of attack. He averages fewer than 1 TD per game, which is telling. I've been at his games when the entire stadium is yelling "he's open, he's open" only to have Teddy pump pass, then pull down and take (yet another) sack.

I look at his stats as some of the most telling. He averages fewer than 1 TD per game, yet throws for around 3000 yards (which is weird, because he's pretty dang good in the red zone). Takes almost 3 sacks per game (so he can't react to plays quickly, with one of the best O-lines in the league). He's just "okay" at scrambling. I mean, it just seems like he's...slow, all the way around. Mentally, physically... A great athlete, but just slow to recognize.

Let me say, please, that he was (as pointed out at some point) in a defensive minded coaching system, so perhaps his development was hindered. Perhaps he can be remolded and get a better start than he did in Minn.
That said, he's also being compared to a class of QB's that was... average at best. The draft has produced garbage for QB's between 2013 and 2015 (Teddy 2014) so it's no surprise to me that he was "one of the best in years 1 & 2" when his competition was essentially back-up material at best.

I like that he's competitive, in that, when trailing (or the game is close) he's really pretty good, and he's good in the 2 minute offense. When playing with any type of lead, he lacks that killer instinct to pile on, and just becomes a manager, leaving opposing teams a wide open door.

I'll go back to "I hope I'm wrong" and "I hope a different style of coaching can help". 

Drew Brees was horrid his first 2 years starting in San Diego before turning it on in year 3 followed by a down year in year 4 and then coming to us after his injury.  Teddy B at least has decent first two years, though there are issues to point at, and you should hope that in year 3 he would've made the jump, but no one has been able to see if he has due to the injury.  So with his recovery, learning from Brees, and a better offense, hopefully he can take that next step when he's hopefully asked to start for the Saints in 2 years.

Also I know certain Poison Pill contract stipulations were banned, but could the Saints look to maybe do something like that with Bridgewater?  Sign him to a long term deal that has a kicker where if he's the highest paid QB on the roster, which would be the year after Brees retires, his contract jumps like 10 mil/yr?  So do a 5 yr/80 mil potential, but it starts off at like 6/yr and then when he becomes the starter it jumps up to 16/yr?

59 minutes ago, Raves said:

Drew Brees was horrid his first 2 years starting in San Diego before turning it on in year 3 followed by a down year in year 4 and then coming to us after his injury.  Teddy B at least has decent first two years, though there are issues to point at, and you should hope that in year 3 he would've made the jump, but no one has been able to see if he has due to the injury.  So with his recovery, learning from Brees, and a better offense, hopefully he can take that next step when he's hopefully asked to start for the Saints in 2 years.

Also I know certain Poison Pill contract stipulations were banned, but could the Saints look to maybe do something like that with Bridgewater?  Sign him to a long term deal that has a kicker where if he's the highest paid QB on the roster, which would be the year after Brees retires, his contract jumps like 10 mil/yr?  So do a 5 yr/80 mil potential, but it starts off at like 6/yr and then when he becomes the starter it jumps up to 16/yr?

Loomis is famous for inking long-term multi year deals where the 1st year or 2 of the contract is extremly cap friendly. If they want to keep Teddy they will and Teddy will likley want to stay with Payton, a top offensive line and young dynamic weapons.

I have mixed emotions about one thing.  I have tickets to the Vikings/Saints game this season.  In a way, it would be nice to see Teddy get some playing time, but at the same time, it would be a lot harder to cheer against the Saints if he is on the field too.  I guess I'll just spend the game screaming at your head coach instead.   :)

Love the trade. I’m a big Teddy fan. Is he an all world talent? Not really. But he’s honestly not too far off from Matt Ryan. He’s a good dude, great leader, smart, and perfectly fits the Saints dink and dunk offense. The Saints would still be a Super Bowl contender with Bridgewater...they’d be SOL with either Savage or Hill. 

22 hours ago, Raves said:

Drew Brees was horrid his first 2 years starting in San Diego before turning it on in year 3 followed by a down year in year 4 and then coming to us after his injury.  

True statement. I don't know... I just don't "see it". But like I said, I hope I'm wrong, and ya'll know I'll eat crow with the best of 'em. I'd love that opportunity. 

4 minutes ago, Mid Iowa said:

True statement. I don't know... I just don't "see it". But like I said, I hope I'm wrong, and ya'll know I'll eat crow with the best of 'em. I'd love that opportunity. 

I think Teddy played well enough in Minnesota to give him a chance.  I mean guys like Sanchez and Leinart never had a year as good as Teddy and they stayed in the league as back-ups for awhile.

Archived