Bucky Brooks - Teddy Bridgewater, Saints are perfect match

Dome

1) Bridgewater gives the Saints a solid QB2 with long-term QB1 potential.

The Saints have been searching for a QB2 with the talent and potential to succeed Drew Brees for years. The team hasn't found a solid developmental prospect in either the draft (think of Garrett Grayson, a third round pick in 2015, or Sean Canfield, a seventh-rounder in 2010) or in free agency (think of Chase Daniel or Luke McCown). With Tom Savage (career passer rating of 72.5) and special-teams standout Taysom Hill (who is intriguing based on his talent as a utility player but not ready to be a QB2 on a team in the hunt for a Super Bowl title) currently on the depth chart behind Brees, they turned to the trade market.

2) Sean Payton is the perfect play-caller for Bridgewater.

To operate at a high level, the overwhelming majority of quarterbacks in the NFL need a creative play-caller in their corner. Payton is arguably one of the best offensive minds in the business, as evidenced by the Saints' six No. 1 rankings in total offense during Payton's tenure thus far (2006, 2008, 2009, 2011, 2014 and 2016) and a pair of top finishes in scoring offense (2008 and 2009).

3) The Saints' supporting cast could elevate Bridgewater's game.

So much of a quarterback's success depends on the supporting cast around him. And the Saints have the right kind of weaponry in place. From their dynamic running back tandem (which I've previously called the "G.O.A.T" among RB duos), to their big-bodied WR1 with the sticky hands and spectacular ball skills, to their rock-solid offensive line, the Saints have A-level talent at the key positions needed to elevate the play of the quarterback.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000952168/article/teddy-bridgewater-new-orleans-saints-are-a-perfect-match

^^All of this is good!

Where I'm in favor of dumping a 3rd for him is, think of where the Eagles would have been last year had they parted ways with Foles. I wouldn't have been in the winner's circle, that's for sure.

I'm really happy to have a "playoff experienced" QB behind Brees.

Archived