What Are You Thinking About v.CC

pwny

Question!

Since last thanksgiving, I’d planned on having everyone over to my house this year for turkey day 

Very predictably, since this is the 3rd year in a rowmy MIL has decided that simply won’t work, with just a day to spare she’s throwing a fit. So I have two options:

1) Follow through with my plans and risk pissing her off.... bright side is I could potentially have the entire house to myself AND get leftovers

2) Bend to her will and show up to her thanksgiving. If this is what happens I will be doing nothing to help (since I was going to do everything on my own and give her the day off, I figure her changing the plans with 24 hours to go is on her now) and just drinking all day. This will probably piss her off as well.

3) Just going with the plans and being helpful is out of the question, you can’t get through to these people in that way 

What advice do the people give? The more likely to end in disaster, the better. 

Edited by Dome

4 minutes ago, Dome said:

Question!

Since last thanksgiving, I’d planned on having everyone over to my house this year for turkey day 

Very predictably, since this is the 3rd year in a rowmy MIL has decided that simply won’t work, with just a day to spare she’s throwing a fit. So I have two options:

1) Follow through with my plans and risk pissing her off.... bright side is I could potentially have the entire house to myself AND get leftovers

2) Bend to her will and show up to her thanksgiving. If this is what happens I will be doing nothing to help (since I was going to do everything on my own and give her the day off, I figure her changing the plans with 24 hours to go is on her) and just drinking all day. This will probably piss her off as well.

3) Just going with the plans and being helpful is out of the question, you can’t get through to these people in that way 

What’s the point of the holiday?  What’s in keeping with that spirit?  I think you know the right thing to do.

You should obviously make your own dinner and enjoy all the extra food that’s left over.  That’s what this is about, gluttony.  Eat a massive meal, then go to her house later drink her booze, eat her food too and leave a mess of dishes.  Ask for some leftovers to take home.

If forced to choose between 1 and 2, I’d choose 1.  I’m not going to act like an arsebag but I’m not going to cave to those shenanigans either, especially if she knew you’d plan to do it.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Me too, made me realize there’s no sound reason I can think of for not having a beer right now.

So I had to fix that.

I just ordered beer #6 because someone else ordered it and the glass it came in was cool. I’m in Europe though so anything goes 

pxU1Hbr.jpg

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Heimdallr said:

Normally 6 beers wouldn’t be a big deal but these were all abv 8%+ and I need to walk 3-4 miles back to my room in a non-English speaking country. Might just give up and live here as a dishwasher 

When you graduate college and go from being fine after drinking 10 Natty lights/Beast/Millers/Coors to getting trashed after drinking 5-6 Victory Golden Monkeys.  You learn real quick...

1 hour ago, Dome said:

Question!

2) Bend to her will and show up to her thanksgiving. If this is what happens I will be doing nothing to help (since I was going to do everything on my own and give her the day off, I figure her changing the plans with 24 hours to go is on her now) and just drinking all day. This will probably piss her off as well.

What advice do the people give? The more likely to end in disaster, the better. 

You've already got everything for the day and are ready to go, so number 1 for sure. 

Any pushback beyond "that sounds lovely" and I'd immediately escalate to "shut the **** up".

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, TheVillain112 said:

Yikes...

DsjBLgWUUAAEw0Q.jpg:large

I'm inclined to defend Aaron here. He hasn't spoken to his family in years and completely cut them out, so obviously he's not going to call. But that doesn't mean he can't sincerely care about helping other people affected.

And making this a public squabble when the dude is donating his own money and raising a bunch more is a big fat 'everything has to be all about me' red flag tbh.

• Like 2