What Are You Thinking About v.CC

pwny

Just now, Dome said:

The mother of the QB and leader of our team pulled the HC aside and told him he yelled to much. He explained he never yells AT the kids,  but to them. He explained that’s how it goes in most every sport; but that wasn’t good enough so she took it up with the principal

the next practice Dustin told me “we’re not yelling today, showing (Our QB)’s mom how effective that is.”

Kids screwed off all practice with nobody there to guide (yell at) them. After practice we had our big huddle and he asked (loud enough for the mom to hear) “does everyone feel good about what they got done today? Are you a better football player? You feel prepared for the game tomorrow?” And all the kids just looked down in shame, especially the QB.

went back to yelling after that, momma bear didn’t say a word the rest of the year

giphy.gif

^^^ Immediately thought of that as the beatdown mama bear got. lmao

That's exactly how it should be handled for kids at a young age. One practice gets lost, but if it keeps parents quiet then it is well worth it. Kids will fall in line MUCH easier if they aren't getting to head sh**- talk about what the coach is doing behind his back or especially at the practices.

• Like 1

My favorite football coaching story was this little scrwny kid who got DESTROYED in a tackling drill. Like that clip of Reggie Bush vs the Eagles, getting blown up in the backfield on a swing pass. Kid just crawled to the sideline and tried to get some wind back in his lungs for about 5 minutes, next thing I know he’s just gone, just walked off from practice 

the next day he comes to practice in street clothes with a note from his mom saying he won’t be playing football due to a grass allergy 

classic lol 

Edited by Dome
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Dome said:

My favorite football coaching story was this little scrwny kid who got DESTROYED in a tackling drill. Like that clip of Reggie Bush vs the Eagles, getting blown up in the backfield on a swing pass. Kid just crawled to the sideline and tried to get some wind back in his lungs for about 5 minutes, next thing I know he’s just gone, just walked off from practice 

the next day he comes to practice in street clothes with a note from his mom saying he won’t be playing football due to a grass allergy 

classic lol 

The one year i coached football, we had two kids like that.  One never really got over it, but to his credit stuck out the year (his dad was a big tough guy and made the kid play).  

The other one learned that while he didn't like to get hit, he loved to do the hitting.  He became really effective at shooting gaps in the line and hitting the QB before the kid could hand the ball off.  

This was a 3rd/4th grade team, and there were no other teams in the area.  So me and the other coach would pick teams every week, practice, then finish off the week with a saturday morning scrimmage.  The second kid in the story above went from almost last pick, to 2nd or 3rd pick every week.

34 minutes ago, theJ said:

The one year i coached football, we had two kids like that.  One never really got over it, but to his credit stuck out the year (his dad was a big tough guy and made the kid play).  

That’s what was going on here, except it was a step dad. This poor kid had zero business being on a football field. Like I respect the dad for what he was trying to do, but anyone with eyes should’ve seen that 1) this kid simply couldn’t play football and 2) this kid HATED football lol

He just wasn’t cut out for physical competition in any way.

He was probably 6” shorter and 30lbs lighter than anyone else on the team.

He ran like a t-Rex with his arms dangling out in front of him.

He didn’t catch passes, just threw his palms up in front of his face so the ball didn’t knock him out.

His “blocking” was to take a step back at the snap, tense up with your arms in front of you and just wait to get run over. We couldn’t get him to do anything other than that, he was just too scared to put hands on anyone. 

He wasn’t fast or strong enough to tackle anyone, he just got stiff-armed into the dirt or trucked like a tackling dummy on the rare occasion he did find himself in position to make a play.

He couldn’t throw the ball and every time he got tackled he fumbled. 

He just needed to be in Chess club or the Knowledge Bowl or something which is no disrespect to the kid, he just wasn’t cut out for sports and it’s astonishing to me his stepdad couldn’t see that.

Edited by Dome

50 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

giphy.gif 

LOL

I have been cussed out, heard more complaints about playing time when we have been undefeated or 9-1 than the two or so times we have had a losing record, had parents put their kid in football because it’s “a good outlet for their ADHD” and then they get folded in half during practice and cry. I feel bad for those kids and want their parents to see that HS football isn’t a good outlet or free babysitting. 

• Like 2

we had a kid who had extra long laces on his cleats wrapped the laces around the high top a couple times for more ankle support. He didn't tape them, don't remember why.

One time he got tackled and his cleat came off when he got rolled up on. He was fine, but when he flipped over his cleat was still attached to his ankle by the laces that had slipped up and allowed the cleat to come off. The way his empty cleat flopped and twisted but didn't fully separate from his leg like normal when a cleat comes off, it looked like a compound fracture, I thought this kid had just lost his foot. My stomach turned and my heart skipped a beat.The whole sideline gasped cause we all saw the same thing. His mom screamed his name and started running over. 

He popped up and ran to the sideline, cleat just dragging behind him by the laces. It was a relief, and there were a few nervous laughs. But I almost lost my lunch on the sidelines over a kid's cleat coming off.

I was also the only EMT on scene (we didn't get ambulances at the games like the HS teams do) so I would've been the one trying to put this kids foot back on before him mom made it over.

Also, one time our opponent's center caught a touchdown pass. And it stood.

Middle School refs lmfao. no instant replay, they couldn't be sure that kid was center cause they didn't see where he lined up. He had been playing center all game and every play after that. But they weren't sure if he was for that play. All you can do is laugh cause these dip****s are volunteers just like you are. 

Edited by Dome

2 hours ago, 11sanchez11 said:

The earth day posts were cute. Global warming, recycling, carbon footprint, etc. I think the Earth is gonna make it through all that, just might not take us along for the ride lol.

The earth has seen worse and will be fine.

But humans on the other hand...

8 hours ago, Dome said:

Also, one time our opponent's center caught a touchdown pass. And it stood.

Middle School refs lmfao. no instant replay, they couldn't be sure that kid was center cause they didn't see where he lined up. He had been playing center all game and every play after that. But they weren't sure if he was for that play. All you can do is laugh cause these dip****s are volunteers just like you are. 

I've reffed a few middle school and under games.  It's not fun.  I much prefer baseball.  There's only once place to put your eyes in baseball - where the ball is.  In football, there's so much crap happening, and it's much harder to see at ground level.

I think i've only called one penalty in the three or so games i've reffed.

The most memorable part of the whole experience was one game the home team's RT couldn't sit still in his stance.  He'd kind of rock back and forth pre-snap the whole time.  But not in a quick twitch way, just a slow rock back and forth.  The opposing teams coach (who was on my side of the field) was going absolutely ape-crap at me telling me to fall starts.  At halftime i told him to settle down because a) it's 5th grade football and b) he's not simulating the snap.  Not once did the opposing teams DE even flinch at the rocking.

I switched sides with the other ref at halftime and let him deal with it haha.