What Are You Thinking About v.CC

pwny

10 hours ago, cddolphin said:

Literally too many? Somehow I doubt it.

My signatures varies quite a bit, depending on the pen I'm using and the rush I am in.

Graphology isn't considered an accurate science, so I'm not sure how they could design a program based on something pretty unreliable.

I would think scanning signatures to make sure the owner was the one signing it would be tough and lead to more problems than what are caused now by glitches from banks accepting non signed checks.

How would the bank program decide the signature is invalid/faked vs just the owner doing it a bit differently (signing in a rush, while driving, while talking to someone else, etc.)

19 hours ago, EliteTexan80 said:
20 hours ago, cddolphin said:

BoA posted about $20 billion in revenue last year. You're telling me they can't implement a safeguard which scans checks as they're deposited to compare the signature to the one they have on file, and flag inconsistencies for manual review?

Way too many variables to account for. There are safeguards such as this already in place (Risk Deposit Operations - actually started my career in this) but I'd need to know who you were paying and where/how they deposited it in their bank. Does their bank engage in Check 22? Do they deposit in a branch, lockbox, ATM, digital/photo deposit?

I was in banking, the problem isn't if they can do it but rather their motivation. If there was a regulation that came out requiring them to check the signatures or face penalties/fines then it would be done ASAP. Without regulations or penalties its much cheaper for the Bank to just cover your losses as the amount of times that probably happens is MUCH less than what it would cost to put that type of system in place and pay the salaries of the people doing the manual reviews that you suggest.

As always with business, it comes down to the bottom line.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Hockey5djh said:

I was in banking, the problem isn't if they can do it but rather their motivation. If there was a regulation that came out requiring them to check the signatures or face penalties/fines then it would be done ASAP. Without regulations or penalties its much cheaper for the Bank to just cover your losses as the amount of times that probably happens is MUCH less than what it would cost to put that type of system in place and pay the salaries of the people doing the manual reviews that you suggest.

As always with business, it comes down to the bottom line.

If anything, regulations lean AWAY from that in regards to check payments. Like any innovation, they're expecting people to go away from writing paper checks. Check 21, image processing, etc. Cheaper on the bottom line to steer resources towards innovative product vs bolster existing products.

I anticipate in 10 years, your Financial Institutions will steer you towards loading your debit card on your phone vs issuing plastic.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Women always joke that men are super lame when their sick.

Can confirm.

I've had a cold for 3 days and I've been contemplating getting my affairs in order.  It's been rough.

Pray for me, there's snot everywhere.

lol it's all true.

when I get a cold I talk about it for WEEKS after it's over. I start contemplating ending it all on day 2 usually.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, domepatrol91 said:

I anticipate in 10 years, your Financial Institutions will steer you towards loading your debit card on your phone vs issuing plastic.

10 years seems conservative. Itll probably happen before the end of the 2010s

Today, I woke up and realized that I need to move to California.  I hate Texas so much and I can't stand to be here anymore.  There is nothing left for me here now that all my friends from high school are gone.  I'm set to graduate college by December of next year, and I think I want to use that as a big opportunity to move on

Say what you will about cost of living, but am I wrong for thinking it's actually worth it given everything the state has to offer?

22 minutes ago, domepatrol91 said:

10 years seems conservative. Itll probably happen before the end of the 2010s

I'll hold off on going THAT far. It's going to come down to the 2nd iteration of merchant terminals being more device savvy. Near Field Communication (NFC) is growing, but you'd have to wait for it to be saturated in the marketplace to see the FI community start their efforts. 

There's also the need to make these devices QR Code capable to accommodate the international markets.

5 minutes ago, footbull3196 said:

Today, I woke up and realized that I need to move to California.  I hate Texas so much and I can't stand to be here anymore.  There is nothing left for me here now that all my friends from high school are gone.  I'm set to graduate college by December of next year, and I think I want to use that as a big opportunity to move on

Say what you will about cost of living, but am I wrong for thinking it's actually worth it given everything the state has to offer?

I love Texas. Been here for 30+ years, will end up dying here. 

This being said - put some miles on your soul. Go somewhere else, just to say you did. That's the one thing I didn't do (I mean, outside of a few months). It's not like Texas is going anywhere. If the grass isn't greener elsewhere, you've always got home...

• Like 2