What Are You Thinking About v.CC

pwny

2 hours ago, NS922 said:

This post gives me a great start to my morning, being cynical is one of my favorite hobbies. The more you look at humans the more you notice all the animal traits. We do everything animals do. We just do them in more complicated ways. Just because we're more complicated doesn't mean we're always better or more efficient. Look at the average person and tell me there aren't thousands of kinds of animals that are more interesting. This is not to say I don't find our species to be impressive, because I do......just not most people.

Also, my niece is "graduating" from kindergarten tonight and somehow it's gonna look bad on me if I don't show up??? It's KINDERGARTEN. I just posted a quick rant about the human race on a football forum, but I'd rather not put down my own family. :P

Way to ruin a 5 year old girls dreams, bruh. Ice cold.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EliteTexan80 said:

So, I'm in a weight loss contest with my two best friends - winner gets $100 from the losers and the winner gets to dictate the losers' Fantasy Football team name for the season (contest goes until draft day). 

I really want to win (just to rub it in their faces) so as added incentive, I shaved my beard off and am not growing it back until I lose at least 15 lbs. Kind of like an anti-playoff beard, and added incentive/reminder to lose weight. 

I don't recognize myself anymore. It's so strange.

Go on the Keto diet...

2 hours ago, NS922 said:

Also, my niece is "graduating" from kindergarten tonight and somehow it's gonna look bad on me if I don't show up??? It's KINDERGARTEN. I just posted a quick rant about the human race on a football forum, but I'd rather not put down my own family. :P

Do you have something else going on like work?  Or are you just not going because you don't think the kindergarten graduation is important?  If it's the latter, you should go...

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, theJ said:
2 hours ago, NS922 said:

It's tuesday night.  You have anything better to do?

This.

Also - it’s stupid and everyone passes kindergarten and it isn’t an achievement of any sort, but showing some fake pride in a kid’s menial achievements can help keep them motivated. If you don’t have anything better to do, go snooze through the ceremony and tell your neice she did a good job, even if a trained monkey could have done what she did.

but it’s p dumb to try to guilt someone for not going to something like that.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, iPwn said:
15 minutes ago, theJ said:
2 hours ago, NS922 said:

It's tuesday night.  You have anything better to do?

This.

Also - it’s stupid and everyone passes kindergarten and it isn’t an achievement of any sort, but showing some fake pride in a kid’s menial achievements can help keep them motivated. If you don’t have anything better to do, go snooze through the ceremony and tell your neice she did a good job, even if a trained monkey could have done what she did.

My suggestion is put an event on every day of your calendar from now until eternity to drink beer, and make it an all day event, that way you can always say you have an event on the calendar and not be lying.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, iPwn said:

This.

Also - it’s stupid and everyone passes kindergarten and it isn’t an achievement of any sort, but showing some fake pride in a kid’s menial achievements can help keep them motivated. If you don’t have anything better to do, go snooze through the ceremony and tell your nephew he did a good job, even if a trained monkey could have done what he did.

I actually just got home from my son's pre-school graduation/celebration.  Yeah it's not like anyone can "fail" it, but he was really proud to stand on the stage and recite the stuff he learned and sing a few songs.  It was pretty painless for me and he loved it.  

Plus, if i somehow give off the impression that this kind of thing is dumb, then next year when he "graduates" from pre-K he's going to stand up on stage like a snot and not participate.  And i didn't raise a snot. 

Just now, The Gnat said:

My suggestion is put an event on every day of your calendar from now until eternity to drink beer, and make it an all day event, that way you can always say you have an event on the calendar and not be lying.

Can i try this for work to avoid meetings?

6 minutes ago, iPwn said:

This.

Of course I'll be proud of all her accomplishments, but a "Kindergarten Graduation" just seems like a hilarious concept.

1 minute ago, NS922 said:

Of course I'll be proud of all her accomplishments, but a "Kindergarten Graduation" just seems like a hilarious concept.

I actually liked that my son's school calls it a Year End Celebration.  They're not trying to fool anyone by claiming anyone would fail.  They just want to give the kids a chance to show off what they learned.

1 minute ago, NS922 said:

It is. You’re completely right. But celebrations of minor achievements is one of the most effective ways to keep kids motivated. 

8 minutes ago, theJ said:

I actually liked that my son's school calls it a Year End Celebration.  They're not trying to fool anyone by claiming anyone would fail.  They just want to give the kids a chance to show off what they learned.

That's a good way to put it. A celebration of their first year in school. That sounds much more reasonable.

20 minutes ago, iPwn said:

It is. You’re completely right. But celebrations of minor achievements is one of the most effective ways to keep kids motivated. 

Do you have a study that shows this?

I want to ruin Thanksgiving again this year, and handing out participation trophies to any kids, then handing out a peer review article telling my dumb old relatives to go shove an avocado in their mouth seems like the best way to do it.

5 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Do you have a study that shows this?

I want to ruin Thanksgiving again this year, and handing out participation trophies to any kids, then handing out a peer review article telling my dumb old relatives to go shove an avocado in their mouth seems like the best way to do it.

The data I’ve seen suggests that the celebration has to be over something actually achieved for it to have a quality effect. It has to be something that the individual can point to as reason for getting the praise for the praise to elicit this response.

Five year old kids don’t realize everyone passes kindergarten, so it seems like a big deal if you tell them it’s a big deal. Not really the same with coming in last place in a race. But those do different things, like reaffirming that those around you care about you even if you fail. So it’s a different mechanism there.

40 minutes ago, iPwn said:

right.

i have no problem if everyone gets trophies, so long as the 1st place ones are bigger.

• Like 1