What Are You Thinking About v.CC

pwny

48 minutes ago, NS922 said:

Of course I'll be proud of all her accomplishments, but a "Kindergarten Graduation" just seems like a hilarious concept.

Eh, they can call it whatever they want, but it's adults who convey any type of meaning to the event. Kids just want to be kids and show off what they've learned in front of their family; they have no real concept of what a graduation is or what it entails. Only person getting hurt by you (or anyone for that matter) not going to something like this because they deem it trivial/beneath them is the kid.

13 minutes ago, iPwn said:

The data I’ve seen suggests that the celebration has to be over something actually achieved for it to have a quality effect. It has to be something that the individual can point to as reason for getting the praise for the praise to elicit this response.

Five year old kids don’t realize everyone passes kindergarten, so it seems like a big deal if you tell them it’s a big deal. Not really the same with coming in last place in a race. But those do different things, like reaffirming that those around you care about you even if you fail. So it’s a different mechanism there.

That makes tons of sense. So participation trophies would absolutely help if James Harrison wasn't running around like a crazy person in the background destroying them all.

26 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Do you have a study that shows this?

I want to ruin Thanksgiving again this year, and handing out participation trophies to any kids, then handing out a peer review article telling my dumb old relatives to go shove an avocado in their mouth seems like the best way to do it.

I personally hate the concept of participation trophies, but I think that's another matter entirely in comparison to a kid's graduation/end of year celebration. Positive reinforcement is one thing, but dumbing down the playing field to negate achievement and competition in a competitive sport is just asinine.

• Like 1

Just now, ramssuperbowl99 said:

That makes tons of sense. So participation trophies would absolutely help if James Harrison wasn't running around like a crazy person in the background destroying them all.

That's a good way, one of many, I think the best way is to ensure children have access to examples of good behavior and consequences (both direct and social) that stem therefrom ("My father/uncle graduated high school, went on to college and got a good job to support his family, who love him, I should follow those steps") as well as being necessarily aware of negative behavioral input and those consequences as well ("My father/uncle didn't have the drive to finish highschool and it's reflected in his work ethic, now he is a leech and doesn't have the respect of his family or peers").

Being rewarded immediately for intermediate steps is a good additional positive reinforcement, but beware it ever becoming the primary reinforcer: the child who gets praised constantly may learn more to rely on that praise than the delayed gratification of <insert task here>.

3 minutes ago, RavensTillIDie said:

I personally hate the concept of participation trophies, but I think that's another matter entirely in comparison to a kid's graduation/end of year celebration. Positive reinforcement is one thing, but dumbing down the playing field to negate achievement and competition in a competitive sport is just asinine.

If my original post didn't make it clear, my aim in this isn't so much as arriving at the optimal balance between positive reinforcement and meaningless celebration for children so much as it is to traumatize and confuse the old, paranoid, prejudicial dingbats I have to waste one afternoon with a year.

• Like 2